3 at the back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only issue I have with 3 at the back at the minute is that we are a bit light in that department if we get any injuries especially if jags goes. That said it might actually extend Barry's career if he could be used as lcb with gana/schneiderlin/Davies in front of him.

Our wingbacks are better than our wingers so yes its a great formation for us. From that point of view I'm glad Bolassie's injury and Deulofeu and Lennon's general mediocrity has forced Koeman to play it

Its this really. And it suits us down to the ground as we have 2 of the best attacking full backs in league.

Used to hate it, but if you have the correct personnel to make it work it is boss. Chelsea have showed everyone that this season.
It's been magic since he's changed it, more width to our play and defensively we are cutting out wide balls/balls down the line stopping crosses into the box.

Tactically we at least need the option to get a second striker on to support Rom and go to a traditional type formation especially when teams look to stifle us and sit back with their forward wide men tucked in to cover man for man.

Getting a second striker on who can also do a bit of the legwork making runs down the line should create space through the middle for the likes of Davies, Barkley and Lukaku to create giving us alternatives to just working the ball wide. Someone along the lines of martial would be ideal imo.

You know, just thinking here. Since Martinez HATED playing with 2 wingers, if he actually decided to modify his stance on formation, this might have been great for him. Get width from your FB's, play with 2 DM/CM's and Barkley with Lukaku and "other" as your forwards.

Shame since he had no idea how to run a defense. People said it since midway through season 2, if only he got a defensive coach in to run that part. Small part of the massive that was his undoing.

Oh well, Koeman is on to something here.

I think its more of a 3-5-2. The wingbacks tend to a play a little higher up, but there is no 3 up front, its 2 with a midfielder sitting in behind them. I personally think that if we can keep up the defensive cover, this affords us better attacking options than with 2 wingers in our more traditional formation.

It's working really well at the moment but an injury to Rom, Baines, Coleman or any of our CB's and we will struggle to make it work as well. The only position we have real depth is DM unfortunately.

It's working really well at the moment but an injury to Rom, Baines, Coleman or any of our CB's and we will struggle to make it work as well. The only position we have real depth is DM unfortunately.

With regards to the CBs, if Funes or Holgate got crocked they could bring in Browning or Pennington (or Galloway when he comes back from this increasingly pointless stay at FC Pulis) and it probably wouldn't make that much of a difference - the problem area is that we have no-one who could do what Williams does as well as he does it.

With regards to the CBs, if Funes or Holgate got crocked they could bring in Browning or Pennington (or Galloway when he comes back from this increasingly pointless stay at FC Pulis) and it probably wouldn't make that much of a difference - the problem area is that we have no-one who could do what Williams does as well as he does it.

While true, I think we could solve all of this with two additions. One, a backup striker, and two, a CB replacement for Jags. This would actually solve CB and RB, since Holgate can play both.

Status
Not open for further replies.