Stephen Patrick Hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's always been one of my favorite players. He doesn't enough credit for his footballing ability and too many people think he's just an OK player who runs around alot. His crossing is quality, he's able to beat people on the wing one-on-one almost every time and he can bang in a few goals here and there as well.

Plus as I've said before if you'd seen him play against the "big 4" he's always been good. The top teams are scared #$%^less of him. One of Everton's problems is that I feel we don't stand up to the top teams physically (though this year we've been better thanks to Phils improved play). He's a hothead but knows when to keep it in check. He never got a red card in 2 years of prem footie.

He'd be a fan favorite here in a matter of weeks if he played for us. I think he's worth 4-5M though and LW (provided Peanut doesn't go to Russia) isn't our No1 priority so we won't be getting him.

And so I read the discussion with interest and find myself asking....
Hunt or Osman?

Hunt couldn't play for us until next season. Hopefully we will have everybody back fit and healthy.

Would either of them make the first 11?

I doubt you watch them every week, mate. He's been in poor form for a while to be honest, he was in good form at the start of the season though.

We are lacking in quality, we can't keep the ball and we end up having to battle, considering our lack of height we do it very well. Considering we have Osman and Pienaar in our midfield we do it very well.

We are coming 5th and 6th every season because we have heart, workrate and battling skills, we now need to add genuine quality to it.

Mate i think you need to sit down and watch a few games! Of course i watch Reading every week with four Irish internationals playing for them! Id imagine its likely you dont or have seen him play a hand full of times so id imagine you dont have enough expeirence or knowledge of his overall game to be able to judge him as a player! I admire the fact you try though lol.

Anyhow your very much glaringly wrong, and its kinda funny to be honest im feeling all smug here as ive seen him just rip apart the Italian World Cup winning defence, midfeild, captain and former world player of the year.

Anyhow i dont agree with any of your above posts. We need if possible to always add quality, but the team are devoid of battlers at the moment and that is moe of a priority. Im not saying our players dont try and dont have heart and tenacity but they are not natural battlers or to put it another way they can not win battles to control a game. I just think you dont like players of that ilk. The games we have lost this season are based on that, and we can have no complaints. Quality you tend to use it in a certain sense to describe playmaking players who have good techniuqe etc. For me players who can battle and rough it up a bit, get down and dirty and control a game have as equal quality as the likes of Arteta. Thats what we lack.

More destroyers please Davey, you can start with Hunt.

Last edited:
He's always been one of my favorite players. He doesn't enough credit for his footballing ability and too many people think he's just an OK player who runs around alot. His crossing is quality, he's able to beat people on the wing one-on-one almost every time and he can bang in a few goals here and there as well.

Plus as I've said before if you'd seen him play against the "big 4" he's always been good. The top teams are scared #$%^less of him. One of Everton's problems is that I feel we don't stand up to the top teams physically (though this year we've been better thanks to Phils improved play). He's a hothead but knows when to keep it in check. He never got a red card in 2 years of prem footie.

He'd be a fan favorite here in a matter of weeks if he played for us. I think he's worth 4-5M though and LW (provided Peanut doesn't go to Russia) isn't our No1 priority so we won't be getting him.

Top post mate, obviously your a football fan! :plol

Hunt or Osman?

Hunt couldn't play for us until next season. Hopefully we will have everybody back fit and healthy.

A resounding no

Morning fellas, its good to have differences of opinion :p

If I may make one comment, based on the last game at Portsmouth.

Would I have wanted Stephen Hunt as an option to come on?

YES!

We severly lacked the fighting qualities that Hunt has.
A player showing passion in our blue shirt would be accepted even if he lacks quality.
Blimey, most of our premiership years have been built around solid players rather than those who are technically gifted.

However, if we have a fully fit squad would he be first 11, probably not.

All this of course in my most humble of opinions b)

A resounding no

I agree because I think that DM would accomodate a midfield of Arteta, Pip, Pienaar, Fella and Cahill. (He'd manage it somehow!)
Allowing that we don't buy a superstar of course....so nope then! Tell a lie, I am convinced Manny's coming back.

The others looking for places on the bench.

Hunt or Osman?

If we had both Pinnear and Hunt provided we don't crash out in Europe I feel that they would both start about 30 matches. I get the feeling that (and I hope I'm wrong) that its going to take a year before he's fully fit and we start to see the old Arteta again so there might be room in the midfield for both. Perhaps with his dribbling and playmaking ability Pinnear could move inside and while Hunt stays on the wing. A left side of Baines, Hunt and Peanut would be a nice mix of pace, toughness and playmaking ability.

Osman always seems to be invisible against top competetion but does the business against the teams below us. It makes him useful, if you can't get 3 pts off the teams you should beat then you end up in 19th like Boro is.

Mate i think you need to sit down and watch a few games! Of course i watch Reading every week with four Irish internationals playing for them! Id imagine its likely you dont or have seen him play a hand full of times so id imagine you dont have enough expeirence or knowledge of his overall game to be able to judge him as a player! I admire the fact you try though lol.

Anyhow your very much glaringly wrong, and its kinda funny to be honest im feeling all smug here as ive seen him just rip apart the Italian World Cup winning defence, midfeild, captain and former world player of the year.

Anyhow i dont agree with any of your above posts. We need if possible to always add quality, but the team are devoid of battlers at the moment and that is moe of a priority. Im not saying our players dont try and dont have heart and tenacity but they are not natural battlers or to put it another way they can not win battles to control a game. I just think you dont like players of that ilk. The games we have lost this season are based on that, and we can have no complaints. Quality you tend to use it in a certain sense to describe playmaking players who have good techniuqe etc. For me players who can battle and rough it up a bit, get down and dirty and control a game have as equal quality as the likes of Arteta. Thats what we lack.

More destroyers please Davey, you can start with Hunt.

Your making out like I've written him off as a ****e player, I haven't. I've praised his qualities, I've said he does have some quality (on the ball) and I've said more than once that I'd take him for a reasonable fee. The 500k thing was a joke by the way. If we signed Hunt for 4-5 million tomorrow I’d be happy.

You won't convince me anything other than that to be honest, I've seen enough of Steven Hunt to know what type of player he is. He's a solid Premier League winger and he's useful, there's nothing special about him though. He’s not exactly what we need and he’s certainly not a player who will move us up a level. As Rook said in his “top post”, he wouldn’t be number one priority.

Your we are "devoid of battlers" speech doesn't stand really, we have one of the smallest teams in the League and we are continually up there with the best. It's certainly not because we outplay teams, I think we all know that. During a lot of Moyes’ spell we have struggled to keep the ball and have had to battle, if we really are devoid of battlers we’d be a lot lower than we are.

I don’t like players of what ilk? Please explain.

I personally think Hunt is a decent player. He fights hard and from what ive seen hes fairly decent, like an Osman with a little less skill and a lot more fight. If your asking if we should try and go in for him, I would have to say yes, but only at the right price.

I would not like to see us spend anymore than £3m on him. I honestly dont think hes any better than Osman. No offence to Osman, but we all agree that we should be buying players of certain quality next season.

I suppose it all comes down to money at the end of the day. The fact that Reading probably will want £5m+ and the fact that he is a narky ****, means I would rather we spent what little money we have on somebody with a little more wow factor.

I agree because I think that DM would accomodate a midfield of Arteta, Pip, Pienaar, Fella and Cahill. (He'd manage it somehow!)
Allowing that we don't buy a superstar of course....so nope then! Tell a lie, I am convinced Manny's coming back.

The others looking for places on the bench.

Have a green dot on me pal ;)

I'd be happy with Hunt and Manny for £12mill all in.

Although I think Hunt will stay at Reading if they get promoted.

We can do better a few years ago he would have been ok but look at sides like valencia now in trouble i reckon we can pick up a top quality foreign winger on the cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.