Match Thread Everton v Southampton 1/3/21 - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love 3 each from the rest!
It wont happen but if we did do that we would finish top 4. I love positivity. We weren't at our best but apart from a couple of heart in mouth moments I thought we controlled that match. Would have been nice to score a goal or 2 more but ...3 points is literally all that matters.

Hopefully we have 1-2 back for the baggies on Thursday.

I feel like I'm watching the same game over and over,look comfortable then the last 10 minutes or so concede corner after corner,I cant pick a MOTM as I dont think anybody was outstanding in the same way nobody was poor,but please give us 1 game were we can relax for the last 10/15 minutes
Turning into a big problem the amount of corners we concede per game now.

See, I don't think that was pragmatism.

The best way to win a game is what 'pragmatism' is in football - and the best way to win today was to kill them off. Doesn't have to be free-flowing, but get that second and it's done.

Appreciate it's a fine margin, but it was negative today IMO. I'm chuffed we won, but it was blatantly obvious what we needed.

Anyway, a win's a win. I just hope it gives an end to the shouts of playing a diamond. It isn't a system we should use.

I agree. But it's just how I think Carlo sees it. He'd always go down the defence/solid route than the kill a game off one as we were in the lead.

Like you say, fine margins.

Christ, my heart can’t take much more of these scabby close wins. Good three points but think there’s a lot more in our tank to get at teams. Just defending almost constantly doesn’t feel good. Especially when presenting teams with as good chances as we did there. A better team scores at least one there tonight, if not two.
To be honest I felt that more with the Liverpool game, had they been more clinical/confident
Think with fans in, we get a 2nd in the first half and it’s a case of how many do we want

I’ll take a scruffy win as long as we follow it up on Thursday
Christ another one on Thursday? Well in that context the performance is a lot more understandable!

A wins a win, take it all day even if the performance was pretty poor.

Actually looking forward to 2 away games as we seem to do much better away.

Come out with 4 points in the next 2 games and we'll be right in the mix.

I thought we were okay to be honest. Created plenty but didn’t control the ball too much. First half was very very comfortable apart from 5 mins, second half fine until the last 5-10.

for me all we were missing in that game was a real creative type to link the strikers to the midfield. However; we were very dangerous from free kicks. Shame we didn’t convert but a good win, an OK performance, plenty of effort from the players. Really good goal by Siggy and Richy.
On to Thursday.

If you look at the number of times that we've successfully defended a half tie lead, I think you have your answer. That Carlo bloke clearly knows a thing or two.

Has definitely worked in the main, but at times it feels more like luck than judgement. I’m sure Ancelotti would like us to keep the ball better or counter attack more intelligently.

Status
Not open for further replies.