Everton v QPR. 15th Dec at 20.00.

Lad?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
No he isn't. He's just asking him to control the ball when it's occasionally played up to him and hold a man off for a while, or pass it off to someone. Asking him to be able to do that a few times doesn't mean asking him to be a hold up/target man. At his size he should be capable of that, but too often the ball just bounces off him. Even with trying to play out from the back and build attacks that way, there are gonna be times when we need to be able to put the ball into him and build from there. If he is unable to simply control the ball and use it from there then that enables them to pressure us up the field, making building from the back more difficult, meaning we get less chances to put him in positions we want him to be in. Again, we are not asking for him to be a holding player (even though with his physical attributes he should be capable), we just want him to be able to do that occasionally.

Also, I don't think it's very good form for the site owner to be going around calling people pathetic for disagreeing with him, especially when he's actually ignoring the point of their posts...

He isn't?

Not just me who thought it either...

I said the attitude is pathetic - I can, and will express my opinion on the forum. Thanks.

Just give him a one-way ticket to Bansville GOT. That's what I would do with that sort of power.

*dreams of unplugging @Boss_Blue from the matrix

People think he's a machine. He's not.

I reckon sometimes he needs a beasting to motivate him. It can't be all carrott all the time

But there’s some elements to his game he's still learning.

And at 21 too, to be expected.

Mad to think he's younger than the likes of that McAleny...

Did Lukaku have a chance tonight ? Don't remember myself but its really hard to have a go at the lad when he doesn't get any service.

He's not a target man or a yard dog or anything of that nature but when he's asked to hold the ball up and move it on, he's done well recently.

He's 21, Yes we paid big money but it is an investment in the future. Goals will flow when he gets an effort.

May as well have Marcus Bent or Jermaine Beckford back if we're gonna moan about work rate.

tbh rom infuriates me during games but after when i calm down he is doing ok.

as you say he is young and he is a striker both of which are prone to highs and lows in there game.

imo he willhit a rich vein of goals 2nd half of the season and then kick on next season.

Agree.

Lukaku can and did struggle when there is no space behind the defence.

Poor game today, but his critics thrive on it - he'll score next game and you won't hear a peep from them.

Cringe every time I see/hear someone moaning about his effort/aerial ability - they just don't understand football.

Mate the moaners were well out in force tonight.

Dunno why but they were

The same people who boo Rom were the ones who praised the likes of Jelavic.

Roms got alot to improve but hes still only 21 in a confidence hit side, still slotting at a great rate

I Know which one id take any day of the week

This is what I've said about Rom previously.

I mean he has to be involved in the approach play as well as being the final presence in the box, meaning you're diluting his responsibilities and using him as a complete forward.

His best role is as the most advanced player of the attacking unit, where he can spearhead the line but identify pockets of space to drop into and collect the ball so he can turn and run at defenders, instead of laying it off for the more patient build up play.

And it's true - he's best at spearheading the line, but for £28m he's got to be able to do more than that if the manager asks him to.

I'm not wanting him to complete adapt to being Heskey; all I'm asking for is that he develops a first touch that is better than a Conference standard striker and learns how to drop into space and hold the ball up if the manager is asking him to do that, and has been for a year.

With his supposed potential, 12 months to learn how to trap a ball isn't a big ask.

I read a good article somewhere else which was calling for patience towards Bobby's style of play and I totally agreed with it. When watching tonight and hearing the booing of decisions to play the ball back - what's wrong with starting again if there are no options at that time? OK, Howard might then bang it up field but the booing comes before that.

To be successful in this league, you need to keep the ball. All of the top clubs base their success around keeping the ball ans building up opportunities. We are still relatively new to it and lots of players who some have had long careers playing a totally different way are getting used to it too.

I hate to make the crude comparison, but could you imagine groans and boos ringing around Camp Nou when Barcelona play it backwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.