Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I didn't really understand that game nothing seemed to apply to me. I think i'm struggling to understand what depression is and if it applies to me.
Might be different for you mate, it is just a game after all, and I've not seen it claim to be 1000% accurate for any case anywhere. It's more or less just a general case...

Might be different for you mate, it is just a game after all, and I've not seen it claim to be 1000% accurate for any case anywhere. It's more or less just a general case...
I hope I wasn't coming across as having a dig at you. I appreciate you putting the link up so that I could check it out. anyway Saturday's finally here yeeeeesssssssssssss. having a good day up to now let's hope it continues. coyb.

I hope I wasn't coming across as having a dig at you. I appreciate you putting the link up so that I could check it out. anyway Saturday's finally here yeeeeesssssssssssss. having a good day up to now let's hope it continues. coyb.
Haha no mate, no worries! I've accidentally put an extra zero there that I've just seen though, ffs!

COYB!

I am severely depressed tonight everyone, any help would be appreciated...

Like Groucho says mate, always lads and lasses on here who will do what they can. PM either of us if you feel like it. No judge and jury in this thread pal.

But if it was after the result. Ah well, theres always Sunday!;)

As a sufferer on and off over the years, I've done some reading around the subject and have found that the scientists seem to believe that some depression is linked to specific, activating events or episodes...even somebody using a particular word. Spike Milligan - a notorious depressive - said on many occasions that what led to his debilitating periods of depression in which he could not leave his room was usually something somebody had said. For Churchill too, depression was episodic. He referred to it as his little black dog.

For others, depression seems to be unrelated to an event or time but just arrives unlooked for.

For those people who suffer with the first type of illness that I describe, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy has a good track record of helping. The approach involves naming the activating event or word or whatever and either avoiding it or somehow changing the perception of the sufferer. Takes a while and a lot of effort but I can vouch for the fact that it works.

And one theme seems to shine out from the research: that sufferers are more likely to recover of they take the conscious choice to feel or act differently. You've heard the joke about "How many psychiatrists does it take to change a lightbulb? Answer: one but the lightbulb has to want to change." The jest hints at the truth....you're more likely to recover if you choose not to suffer alone and unacknowledged. By taking the step of posting on here, or speaking to your GP or asking a friend for help or calling Samaritans, you've made the choice to survive. Very big step.

If the forum will allow me, I can show this by telling a story that some on here will know: the story of Viktor Frankl. (Apologies if already been posted). Viktor was an inmate of a Nazi concentration camp in WW2. All his family except for him perished. He suffered unspeakable cruelty and deprivation.

Later, he wrote that he survived solely because he chose to exercise the only freedom he had left....to choose to survive. He noticed that some prisoners kind of gave up and accepted the situation. They got ill and died quite quickly.

So: in his head, he spoke to his wife. He'd been a lecturer at a university before the war so he gave whole lectures to his students....in his head. And he survived....in fact the more he did it, the stronger he got. By the time that the camp was liberated, he was supporting and keeping alive a whole group of prisoners and even some guards by his strength and force of will.

All by choosing to survive. All sufferers have that choice. It's not a privilege or an entitlement. It's yours because you are human.

All the best to all those who suffer. You are most definitely not alone.

As a sufferer on and off over the years, I've done some reading around the subject and have found that the scientists seem to believe that some depression is linked to specific, activating events or episodes...even somebody using a particular word. Spike Milligan - a notorious depressive - said on many occasions that what led to his debilitating periods of depression in which he could not leave his room was usually something somebody had said. For Churchill too, depression was episodic. He referred to it as his little black dog.

For others, depression seems to be unrelated to an event or time but just arrives unlooked for.

For those people who suffer with the first type of illness that I describe, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy has a good track record of helping. The approach involves naming the activating event or word or whatever and either avoiding it or somehow changing the perception of the sufferer. Takes a while and a lot of effort but I can vouch for the fact that it works.

And one theme seems to shine out from the research: that sufferers are more likely to recover of they take the conscious choice to feel or act differently. You've heard the joke about "How many psychiatrists does it take to change a lightbulb? Answer: one but the lightbulb has to want to change." The jest hints at the truth....you're more likely to recover if you choose not to suffer alone and unacknowledged. By taking the step of posting on here, or speaking to your GP or asking a friend for help or calling Samaritans, you've made the choice to survive. Very big step.

If the forum will allow me, I can show this by telling a story that some on here will know: the story of Viktor Frankl. (Apologies if already been posted). Viktor was an inmate of a Nazi concentration camp in WW2. All his family except for him perished. He suffered unspeakable cruelty and deprivation.

Later, he wrote that he survived solely because he chose to exercise the only freedom he had left....to choose to survive. He noticed that some prisoners kind of gave up and accepted the situation. They got ill and died quite quickly.

So: in his head, he spoke to his wife. He'd been a lecturer at a university before the war so he gave whole lectures to his students....in his head. And he survived....in fact the more he did it, the stronger he got. By the time that the camp was liberated, he was supporting and keeping alive a whole group of prisoners and even some guards by his strength and force of will.

All by choosing to survive. All sufferers have that choice. It's not a privilege or an entitlement. It's yours because you are human.

All the best to all those who suffer. You are most definitely not alone.

I did a course of CBT and it was extremely helpful. You generally only need 8 - 10 sessions and you can get it through the NHS.

ah well another day. groundhog day. couple of reasons for posting 1. just feel like sounding off. its quite a relief to get things off my chest now and again even though you lot have to suffer it. 2. I read all the posts on here and understand that 1/2 of my problem is in my mind and I should handle that easily enough. but for some reason I can't. I have major decisions to make within the next month and have many people pulling me in different directions regarding those decisions, family, work, counsellors, doctors. I feel guilty not working and claiming but scared to go back to work and suffer financially. anyway that's my moaning over with (for a while lol) cant believe I used a lol. on a good note i'm at the utd game sunday so expect me to be down on Monday as i'm not overly optimistic about this one. if the Lisbon is near the area I will pop in there. thanks for reading.

So... took .... me 8 and half months to say it......... but my dad committed suicide ............ I feel like the notes/letters left were for other people..... not for me and my brother IYKWIM x

Hi Marnie
That sounds dreadful
Have you been given any help or support to deal with it?

No...... but haven't looked for it either........... you just try and .... in a phrase...... Get on with it... I am always happy go lucky.... but, at certain times of the day/night.......... it could be anything............ it just triggers it. x

So... took .... me 8 and half months to say it......... but my dad committed suicide ............ I feel like the notes/letters left were for other people..... not for me and my brother IYKWIM x

Marnie so sorry to read of what happened to your Dad.

Mate you have taken the first step by writing the above. Hopefully you have help to hand, if not feel free to post here or contact anyone here you are comfortable speaking to.

Best of luck, keep us informed you know there's help here if you want to use it.

No...... but haven't looked for it either........... you just try and .... in a phrase...... Get on with it... I am always happy go lucky.... but, at certain times of the day/night.......... it could be anything............ it just triggers it. x

Hi. I don't pretend to know a lot about this, but I've got first hand experience of depression, suicide and self harm. The first and most helpful way of dealing with the painful bit ( I found ) was talking to a mate, one you know who'll understand, everything else is probably limited to professional help, but I promise a beer or whatever helps you chat will help with a good mate.

Good luck marnie.