Bottom line = Johnson sold to get Fellani

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek

Player Valuation: £150m
Thank you Mr Kewnright and you're BHS boss. The club moving onto the next level wastes a whole transfer window on a sell to buy transfer policy that resolves itself in the last minute of the transfer wiindow.

A complete farce from start to finish.

Change must come.

On the bright side we've not spent any money yet. Unless you're a team like Chelsea and perhaps now City then it tends to be the fact that you splash the cash in cycles. I don't think the big spenders will maintain that into January and beyond given they all now have huge salary bills to meet. Even the Geordies seem to have cut back on throwing money at anything that moves. We're as strong as we were last season. Only City and Villa have vastly improved. I don't see City doing anything special yet. And Villa haven't exactly brought in world-beaters. Our first eleven is as good as theirs. Then there is Tottenham who have lost their three best strikers over the last year. Pompey might give us a run for our money. But then look at their team on paper. It hardly strikes me as a classy outfit.

If Moyes can get his act together we should be okay and push the top teams again.

On the bright side we've not spent any money yet. Unless you're a team like Chelsea and perhaps now City then it tends to be the fact that you splash the cash in cycles. I don't think the big spenders will maintain that into January and beyond given they all now have huge salary bills to meet. Even the Geordies seem to have cut back on throwing money at anything that moves. We're as strong as we were last season. Only City and Villa have vastly improved. I don't see City doing anything special yet. And Villa haven't exactly brought in world-beaters. Our first eleven is as good as theirs. Then there is Tottenham who have lost their three best strikers over the last year. Pompey might give us a run for our money. But then look at their team on paper. It hardly strikes me as a classy outfit.

If Moyes can get his act together we should be okay and push the top teams again.

I think what you're saying there is that we've pretty much stood still whilst those around us have strengthened, and that, effectively, means we've made a step back.

Not getting the business done early means we have lost any momentum from last season and these players will take a couple of months to bed in...as they would have, ideally, pre-season.

Times are changing. Man City have now joined the elite. We are now left scrapping for the single Uefa place left with Spurs, Villa, Portsmouth, and maybe Newcastle.

We need massive investment and we need it right now.

Sorry bud but i would have to disagree completely, spurs,pompey,city and even villa all have stronger starting elevens and more strength in depth.

hate to say it but we've slipped back to the levels of your blackburns and west hams of the world.

I think what you're saying there is that we've pretty much stood still whilst those around us have strengthened, and that, effectively, means we've made a step back.

Not getting the business done early means we have lost any momentum from last season and these players will take a couple of months to bed in...as they would have, ideally, pre-season.

Times are changing. Man City have now joined the elite. We are now left scrapping for the single Uefa place left with Spurs, Villa, Portsmouth, and maybe Newcastle.

We need massive investment and we need it right now.

It depends how the new signings fit in. I think a fit Saha is certainly an improvement on Johnson. And Fellaini should, for £15m, be vastly superior to Carsley. Castillo shouldn't be [Poor language removed] either. He's an international player and should at the least provide important cover. I think if Moyes believed he was really [Poor language removed] then he wouldn't be here. He would have just found a freebee and put him on a one year contract. Nash I'm guessing is no different to Wessels. And then there is Jacobsen that gives us an extra option at RB.

That is improvement. The leaving it so late is a problem, though. I'm guessing if we'd had that same lot in 6 weeks earlier then we'd be in better a state than we currently are.

But I agree to a degree lol. I think we all expected more this summer.

On the bright side we've not spent any money yet.
You are assuming there is money available. That's quite a tall order considering what happened this summer.

Apart from ManU, the other three top clubs have improved. And City has improved A LOT. They have depth in their squad and a very decent first 11. They have about 6 or 7 midfielders who would get into our first 11 and a strike force of Jo and Robinho (plus several decent backups) and some good defenders.

Villa isn't quite at the same level, IMO, but they have good players and some squad depth.

Then there's of course Spurs. Even thought they lost a few players, they have also made some good acquisitions. And they won't have a problem with squad depth.

It depends how the new signings fit in. I think a fit Saha is certainly an improvement on Johnson. And Fellaini should, for £15m, be vastly superior to Carsley. Castillo shouldn't be [Poor language removed] either. He's an international player and should at the least provide important cover.
Saha, if his injury record is anything to go by, will miss quite a few matches. Price doesn't mean a player is better - a lot of Fellani's price is about potential. Carsley was very limited, and I'm sure Fellani will bring some new qualities to the team, but he lacks Carsley's experience. Castillo is completely unknown, some say he wasn't good enough for Blackburn, some just say they refused to pay 6 million for him. Ecuador is hardly a footballing giant, though. Don't City or someone also have an Ecuadorian player in their ranks?

I think if Moyes believed he was really [Poor language removed] then he wouldn't be here. He would have just found a freebee and put him on a one year contract. Nash I'm guessing is no different to Wessels. And then there is Jacobsen that gives us an extra option at RB.
Isn't he on a one-year loan?

Yes, Fellani, Saha and Castillo are important signings. But compare them to some of the players other clubs signed.

I agree wholeheartedly about the depth that we lack. My point is merely that our starting eleven is as good as, or is better, than other teams outside of the top four. And I dispute that Villa has a better first eleven than us. Man City could be the exception, although I've a feeling that they're in transition and it will be next season when things begin to be sorted out. And Spurs improved in areas but lost three prolific goal scorers. Now that is bad news for any team.

Saha, if his injury record is anything to go by, will miss quite a few matches. Price doesn't mean a player is better - a lot of Fellani's price is about potential. Carsley was very limited, and I'm sure Fellani will bring some new qualities to the team, but he lacks Carsley's experience. Castillo is completely unknown, some say he wasn't good enough for Blackburn, some just say they refused to pay 6 million for him. Ecuador is hardly a footballing giant, though. Don't City or someone also have an Ecuadorian player in their ranks?

Isn't he on a one-year loan?

Yes, Fellani, Saha and Castillo are important signings. But compare them to some of the players other clubs signed.

I think Paliacos at Wigan is Ecuadorian

valencia at wigan is ecuadorian.
palacios is honduran.

and a big thanks to mr accountant that is in the know regards the 'bottom line'.

where did all our money last summer come from?

Why did we not spend 18m for moutinho but 16m for felllaini? Sporting wants a straight cash deal and we did not have that much money!

A 20 year old that has just started hitting the limelight for 15million. With the gradient of improvement staying constant to the level it has already shown, his value will double by the time he is 22.

Compare

22 year old Moutinho = 18 million

22 year old Fellaini = 30 million

Not bad business in the slightest in all honesty.

So what if we had to sell to buy, So do most clubs.

i.e
RS had to sell Alonso to buy Barry

At least we are not buying players and having deadwood on the wage structure that we can't sell.

Many people may not agree with me, I can live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.