2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

After he came on there was one passage where he got the ball, played it left, can’t remember who but our guy then took the ball towards the touch line clearly getting ready to play for a cross, and Dom was just still standing at the top of the 18. There was zero desire to try and get on the end of anything. Almost seemed like he thought his job was done after playing a simple pass.

I remember that, was frustrating

Carlo had him being selfish and hovering around the penalty area, between the sticks which produced results. Dyche hasn't got him doing that.

As Dyche has admitted today there is a team wide problem with scoring that he doesn't know how to fix.
Carlo took the same approach with him as he did Inzaghi. Realised he's just best off getting ugly scrappy goals. Inzaghi was laughed at for his football ability, but just had that knack. It worked for a bit as well.

Dyche nerds to have them finishing from all angles regular in training.

Carlo had him being selfish and hovering around the penalty area, between the sticks which produced results. Dyche hasn't got him doing that.

As Dyche has admitted today there is a team wide problem with scoring that he doesn't know how to fix.
Exactly. Carlo knew exactly what we needed when he took over and that was a creative midfielder. It’s no coincidence that DCL’s best season was when he just stayed forward and we had Rodriguez and Digne whipping balls inn. Rodriguez had vision and could pass a ball and we don’t have anyone that can do that now.

We missed a few good chances today (including a pen), can’t really blame Dyche for that.

He should get the forward to watch the videos from that season with Carlo and try to repeat it (I know it’s not that simple), as I think the way we got balls into the box early would suit both Beto (like today) and DCL.

Hes clearly talented but he isn't staying in the box. If he goes out wide, no one will go in the box - gomes and doucsjust slowed down when he was out wide looking to ping in a cross. Might be worth trying him as a 2nd striker or a winger with beto in cf. Doing that also adds to our aerial threat for corners and such. Taking the weight of goals away from him will help and he will eventually bag one.

Hes clearly talented but he isn't staying in the box. If he goes out wide, no one will go in the box - gomes and doucsjust slowed down when he was out wide looking to ping in a cross. Might be worth trying him as a 2nd striker or a winger with beto in cf. Doing that also adds to our aerial threat for corners and such. Taking the weight of goals away from him will help and he will eventually bag one.

🤣🤣

Its ok. He's got that one sorted.

🤣🤣

Its ok. He's got that one sorted.
I think you misunderstood what I mean. Hes playing like a striker who hasn't scored in half a season. So either he gets a goal and that brings his confidence back, or play him as a winger where he's not expected to get goals (as much as a cf at least). You can't deny that he does have presence in games and his hold up play is good, its just the scoring thats letting him down. Bang him on the wing with beto in the middle and see how that works. Gives us another wide option too

I think you misunderstood what I mean. Hes playing like a striker who hasn't scored in half a season. So either he gets a goal and that brings his confidence back, or play him as a winger where he's not expected to get goals (as much as a cf at least). You can't deny that he does have presence in games and his hold up play is good, its just the scoring thats letting him down. Bang him on the wing with beto in the middle and see how that works. Gives us another wide option too

It was tongue in cheek mate.

He's a very average striker and those constantly defending him are drawing from the well of 4 years ago.