Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 105 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,259 92.3%

• Total voters
If accurate, this is pretty concerning. Unaudited accounts are worthless. If they are refusing to finish the Jun 2022 audit - and bearing in mind there is a March 23 filing deadline - it puts the search for their replacement as a very challenging exercise.

Plus any reputable buyer or stadium funder will need to see X years audited accounts in a data room. All round not good this.

Others here work as actual accountants and auditors and can add more. I am going off my experience working in a Big Four accounting firm, albeit in an IT capacity and 20+ years ago. One of my projects was a workflow application to track the stations of the cross, as it were, of the firm withdrawing from an audit, to protect the firm, by creating an unassailable paper trail of the client's misfeasance and the steps taken by the firm to document same, warn of same, and eventually flee from the burning building.

That the auditor is walking away from a big and (presumably) prestigious account is very, very, very bad. They want to leave no doubt that they have not participated in or enabled some kind of wrongful behavior - negligent at best, usually deliberately criminal or fraudulent.

I believe, and I know you do too, that Morshri - whose purported 1.7B wealth is not that much, for owning a club with 200M annual turnover and a 500M stadium under construction - has been a front for Usmanov who's probably worth 10-20 times that. With Usmanov's defenestration Moshiri is caught with his pants down.

My guess is that the club gets sold at pennies on the pound in a distressed-asset sale to an American, Saudi, or Emirati group. With the new stadium it's an attractive proposition for a buyer if there is a heavy discount for buying a collection of cooked books, as long as we don't get sent down.

Others here work as actual accountants and auditors and can add more. I am going off my experience working in a Big Four accounting firm, albeit in an IT capacity and 20+ years ago. One of my projects was a workflow application to track the stations of the cross, as it were, of the firm withdrawing from an audit, to protect the firm, by creating an unassailable paper trail of the client's misfeasance and the steps taken by the firm to document same, warn of same, and eventually flee from the burning building.

That the auditor is walking away from a big and (presumably) prestigious account is very, very, very bad. They want to leave no doubt that they have not participated in or enabled some kind of wrongful behavior - negligent at best, usually deliberately criminal or fraudulent.

I believe, and I know you do too, that Morshri - whose purported 1.7B wealth is not that much, for owning a club with 200M annual turnover and a 500M stadium under construction - has been a front for Usmanov who's probably worth 10-20 times that. With Usmanov's defenestration Moshiri is caught with his pants down.

My guess is that the club gets sold at pennies on the pound in a distressed-asset sale to an American, Saudi, or Emirati group. With the new stadium it's an attractive proposition for a buyer if there is a heavy discount for buying a collection of cooked books, as long as we don't get sent down.

Interesting mate. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

But I don’t understand, I was told that the barometer of how good an owner was boiled down to how much in transfer fees we spend on crap players? You’re telling me that the club is irresponsibly run after all? Well I for one did NOT see this coming.

Thing is in the article there is nothing substantial and seems like guess work as BDO have not said anything.

Not saying something isn’t wrong but there seems to be a lot assumptions made without any real evidence but just sources.

I mean is ut the club’s finances that the issue ( doesn’t seem so because the premier league are also auditing) or are there concerns about any lingering ties with Usmanov who is under sanctions ?

Plus isn’t the stadium costs fixed at £500m so why mention the rising stadium costs ?

A lot of guess work in the article which leaves me thinking they themselves are not reporting the full facts here.

Not that I support Morshiri’s continued ownership just that sommit about that article seems off