Zonal marking ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our defence was always ok this season from open play. It was just dead balls letting us down. Once some of the morons at the back actually started to behave like professional footballers and concentrate for 90 minutes when they realised Silva wasn’t getting fired we’ve been fine.

Zonal marking is no better or no worse than man to man, it may be a bit harder to implement. In theory it should be better as you are blocking off all the danger areas. Problem is players want to mark men not spaces. I used to play 5 a-side with Pat Sharkey, he used to drill into us about marking the zone and handing on players. This was 25 years ago, when we all played the system it worked a treat but once one of us followed our opposite number the wheels came off big style.

I think we’ve just been fortunate against the sides we’ve played recently.

Some truth in that, there's always a bit of luck involved, and we've had loose second balls fall to one of our defenders rather than an opponent recently, whereas, when we couldn't defend a set piece to safe our life, we didn't always get the rub of the green.

But even so, we've defo settled into the zonal defending better, and defenders are trying to attack the ball rather than watching it drift towards their zone.

*** puts a tenner on Mitrovic to score the first goal, header from a corner.

....it’s not as much about systems as it is about footballers, constant practice and desire to defend.
I’d be wary taking you on in what works on a footie pitch, as I’m aware that your experience in the game vastly trumps my average displays for timperley wanderers mate, but surely it’s a bit of both. Moyes was renowned for drilling them. Even more so George graham, who used to tie them together to keep the line!

I’d be wary taking you on in what works on a footie pitch, as I’m aware that your experience in the game vastly trumps my average displays for timperley wanderers mate, but surely it’s a bit of both. Moyes was renowned for drilling them. Even more so George graham, who used to tie them together to keep the line!

....totally agree, Jimmy. I said whatever system you use it requires ‘constant practice and desire to defend’.

By the way, nothing wrong with Timperley, I played a bit on the Civil Service pitch back in the day and my daughter lived there until very recently.

Some truth in that, there's always a bit of luck involved, and we've had loose second balls fall to one of our defenders rather than an opponent recently, whereas, when we couldn't defend a set piece to safe our life, we didn't always get the rub of the green.

But even so, we've defo settled into the zonal defending better, and defenders are trying to attack the ball rather than watching it drift towards their zone.

*** puts a tenner on Mitrovic to score the first goal, header from a corner.

He’s come close mate. My conspiracy today is they know wolves are losing and don’t fancy Belarus in July.

Status
Not open for further replies.