Z-cars sirens

Keep the z-cars sirens?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see many people suggesting we just use it for "big" games. I get that argument, but I think it could be used for all games. It really seemed to resonate with the fans and lead to a fantastic atmosphere. I'd love to see it given a trial run in the rest of the home games until the end of the season before a long-term decision is made.

I think you are projecting your opinions to the greater fanbase a little bit here. Like you said previously that the sirens didn't have any effect, that you couldn't hear them. Clearly plenty of people (I would say the majority, going off of the responses on here/twitter) did, and were affected. It is fair to argue that it wouldn't be as effective against your Burnleys and Huddersfields etc, but I don't think it would have no effect, and there's really only one way of finding out.

I thought this aswell. It's like the sirens is your 5 second warning, then everyone's waiting for the drums to kick in. It sets an expectation. That combined with the players coming on (if the ref would let them come out at the right time ffs!) would really get the crowd going imo, even against lesser opposition.
Not at all, I'm saying that as a matchgoing fan I've seen the club make all manner of efforts to improve the atmosphere, but it only ever works when the fans actually have something to get up for. If you think that playing a siren before the game every single week will lead to us turning Goodison into a bearpit, then I would put an awful lot of money on it that you will be proved wrong very quickly. I don't know if you were at the game on Sunday, but it was bouncing long before the sirens went off.

I see many people suggesting we just use it for "big" games. I get that argument, but I think it could be used for all games. It really seemed to resonate with the fans and lead to a fantastic atmosphere. I'd love to see it given a trial run in the rest of the home games until the end of the season before a long-term decision is made.

Given our four remaining home games include Chelsea, Arsenal and Untied, I think we can qualify those three as 'big games' can't we ?

So you're a player in the tunnel waiting to come out and you hear the sirens- 'Ah this must be a big game then, here we go lads'

Waiting in the tunnel and they dont go off 'Ah ok club dont see this as a big game' shoulders drop.

Top 6 games? What happens if Wolves or Leicester break the top 6?

All games are big games IMO.

Given our four remaining home games include Chelsea, Arsenal and Untied, I think we can qualify those three as 'big games' can't we ?
I'd like us to trial it until the end of the season before a decision is made as to whether to play it every game. The atmosphere was special against Liverpool, but I don't put it down to the sirens, even though it added a little extra, unexpected, spice.

So you're a player in the tunnel waiting to come out and you hear the sirens- 'Ah this must be a big game then, here we go lads'

Waiting in the tunnel and they dont go off 'Ah ok club dont see this as a big game' shoulders drop.

Top 6 games? What happens if Wolves or Leicester break the top 6?

All games are big games IMO.
That only works if you don't accept that some games are bigger than others though. Seeing as I doubt anybody really believes that playing Brighton at home on a sunday afternoon in October is the same as playing Liverpool in an FA Cup quarter final on a Friday night , there will always be a difference in the way games are perceived, and so whether we play a siren or not, one game will be viewed as bigger than the other.

Not at all, I'm saying that as a matchgoing fan I've seen the club make all manner of efforts to improve the atmosphere, but it only ever works when the fans actually have something to get up for. If you think that playing a siren before the game every single week will lead to us turning Goodison into a bearpit, then I would put an awful lot of money on it that you will be proved wrong very quickly. I don't know if you were at the game on Sunday, but it was bouncing long before the sirens went off.
Fair enough if they've tried similar things before, I am unaware of any such attempts - unfortunately living in London and playing football most weekends I don't get to many home games! I don't expect it to turn the place into a bear pit every game, in fact I don't think anyone has posted saying that, but if it helps improve the atmosphere even a little then it is worth it. It's more about getting our fans up for the game and behind our team, as opposed to intimidating the oppo (obviously if that happens it's a nice bonus!). There's also the question of whether it was the idea or the execution that works. Just because they've tried before and it didn't work, doesn't mean it's not worth trying again.

Fair enough if they've tried similar things before, I am unaware of any such attempts - unfortunately living in London and playing football most weekends I don't get to many home games! I don't expect it to turn the place into a bear pit every game, in fact I don't think anyone has posted saying that, but if it helps improve the atmosphere even a little then it is worth it. It's more about getting our fans up for the game and behind our team, as opposed to intimidating the oppo (obviously if that happens it's a nice bonus!). There's also the question of whether it was the idea or the execution that works. Just because they've tried before and it didn't work, doesn't mean it's not worth trying again.
I'm not saying it's not worth trying. And i'm not saying anyone has specifically used the words bear pit either. What I am saying is that in my opinion the sirens were a nice touch on sunday; it worked well because of the situation and the fact that the crowd was already baying for blood. You can hear on the official video that the atmosphere was already raucous, and the siren was effectively met with the same roar that would usually meet the start of Z Cars in those circumstances. All i'm saying is that I don't really believe the siren was in any way responsible for the improved atmosphere, it just worked really well in the moment.

20 years ago or so we never used to play Everton songs before the games, it was just normal music. I remember them playing Forever Everton once before a derby and everybody went mad for it. Now we play it before every game, and nobody sings along... unless it's a game like Sunday. They play Grand Old Team after every 'good' result and nobody belts out the chorus...unless it's a game like Sunday. Looking at the type of comments you're talking about on here and twitter should have shown you that many people talk excitedly about Sunday's atmosphere being 'organic', 'raw', 'not orchestrated', 'spontaneous' etc. People's answer to keeping the atmosphere like this appears to be removing all those elements. My opinion, and experience, is that it won't work, but I have no problem with them trying it, other than losing what could be an occasional treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.