Young EFC Players Out On Loan 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better sell JJ for whatever decent price is available before he goes the way of Luke Garbutt and we have to loan him out to a league that has number next to it

....I think Gordon has shown glimpses of real talent, plus he’s very quick and a very decent striker of the ball (taking free kicks for the 1st team a good sign they rate his delivery). For me, he’s not expressed himself or played with freedom when he’s had a chance. He’s been much too safe. I actually thought he’d thrive on loan because he’d be better than most but it’s not happened.

Attitude & lack of belief might be more of an issue with him. I’m genuinely not one for bigging youngsters up, but I had hopes for Gordon. Those hopes have faded.
He seemed to be doing ok at Preston until they had a awful run of form, which saw them opt for less attacking football and using their veterans. Since Neil has been sacked, they have changed system and there really isn't anywhere for Gordon to play.

Really a waste of a loan and Everton should honestly be asking questions about his game time or recalling him.

He seemed to be doing ok at Preston until they had a awful run of form, which saw them opt for less attacking football and using their veterans. Since Neil has been sacked, they have changed system and there really isn't anywhere for Gordon to play.

Really a waste of a loan and Everton should honestly be asking questions about his game time or recalling him.

.....whilst continued non-selection is disappointing, it’s up to the player to earn game time. It’s not a waste of a loan if the club has learned something about the player.

.....whilst continued non-selection is disappointing, it’s up to the player to earn game time. It’s not a waste of a loan if the club has learned something about the player.
It is, and I think it demonstrates something about Gordon. But the only way he's going to get game time at Preston is to alter his style and position - which doesn't seem entirely sensible for a player at this stage in his development.

It is, and I think it demonstrates something about Gordon. But the only way he's going to get game time at Preston is to alter his style and position - which doesn't seem entirely sensible for a player at this stage in his development.
Sadly didn’t play again today. I feel it’s a real waste and we have to be much more judicious when choosing loan clubs.

The Preston fans liked him, but the change of manager has been damaging to him. Hopefully no more players sent to Preston on loan.

I asked some PNE fans about him and said he’s a real talent, just they had to change the manager which in turn resulted in him not getting picked due to different style or play. Also said it was a real shame as he had really good glimpses, he just needs to work on his end product.

Sadly didn’t play again today. I feel it’s a real waste and we have to be much more judicious when choosing loan clubs.

The Preston fans liked him, but the change of manager has been damaging to him. Hopefully no more players sent to Preston on loan.

....it could happen anywhere. Change manager or not change manager, he needs to be earning game time. Whilst it’s not ideal being at a club with turmoil, I hoped he’d burn that league up as I really like him but we shouldn’t look for excuses if he can’t get on the pitch.

Now the season is over for these lads can Gordon come back into the first team squad.

....it could happen anywhere. Change manager or not change manager, he needs to be earning game time. Whilst it’s not ideal being at a club with turmoil, I hoped he’d burn that league up as I really like him but we shouldn’t look for excuses if he can’t get on the pitch.
I generally agree with this, but I think we should be very careful with loans.
It is always going to be hard for a youngster to go to another club on a short term basis and force their way into the team ahead of established professionals.
The loans after Christmas have tended to be to teams in trouble. That’s an even harder task for them because they are expected to be some sort of saviour.
I would make more use of League One in the first instance where they are more likely to get games and the experience of playing for the a team.
Simms loan has worked out really well at Blackpool in League One and I’m sure his next development step will be playing in the Championship.

I generally agree with this, but I think we should be very careful with loans.
It is always going to be hard for a youngster to go to another club on a short term basis and force their way into the team ahead of established professionals.
The loans after Christmas have tended to be to teams in trouble. That’s an even harder task for them because they are expected to be some sort of saviour.
I would make more use of League One in the first instance where they are more likely to get games and the experience of playing for the a team.
Simms loan has worked out really well at Blackpool in League One and I’m sure his next development step will be playing in the Championship.

....I’m not a fan of loans per se, but I generally agree about sending youngsters to clubs with stability and the right approach. I suppose it’s the clubs who are struggling that most need help & the majority of our loanees tend to be surplus to our requirements.

I agree in some ways but I think these boys are decent. However we can't afford another McAleny/Garbutt/Pennington situation so if I was pushed I would say sell Gibson and Simms with buy back clauses. They both look the part but are absolutely not ready to be first team players here yet. If they both got bought by decent Championship sides with an agreed fee of we want to but back in 2 years I think that would suit all parties.
Id agree with this.
We need to start thinking that just because they might not make it here, we have to keep them until the last possible minute.
If we can begin looking at it as a profit making resource with maybe 1 player of elite ability coming into the team every 2 or so years.
Simms, Gordon, Gibson from this summer will only depreciate in value so with abit of luck we could make around 10 million off the 3 of them

....I’m not a fan of loans per se, but I generally agree about sending youngsters to clubs with stability and the right approach. I suppose it’s the clubs who are struggling that most need help & the majority of our loanees tend to be surplus to our requirements.
I guess I’d like to see more of a plan.

It’s going to be harder if we’re reducing the age of the U23 squad as it suggests more loans to me.

The idea with Branthwaite and Gordon seems to have been to keep them as cover till Christmas and give them games in the Carabao cup then loan for the second half of the season.

If were serious about development, maybe they should have gone on loan straight away rather than whatever is available in January.

I guess I’d like to see more of a plan.

It’s going to be harder if we’re reducing the age of the U23 squad as it suggests more loans to me.

The idea with Branthwaite and Gordon seems to have been to keep them as cover till Christmas and give them games in the Carabao cup then loan for the second half of the season.

If were serious about development, maybe they should have gone on loan straight away rather than whatever is available in January.

....I see it a bit different. I’m sure the hope was Gordon, in particular, would cement his position as an established member of the squad but when that failed to happen he was sent on loan. He has talent and physicality but I always feel he doesn’t express himself sufficiently. He seems to ‘play safe’ rather than play with swagger.

As far as Everton is concerned, our best Academy youngsters don’t go on loan because the manager wants to have them available. Barkley & Osman being the exception but both had major injuries at critical stages of their development.

I’m afraid history shows that when an Academy youngster goes on loan its very unlikely they have a future at Everton.

....I see it a bit different. I’m sure the hope was Gordon, in particular, would cement his position as an established member of the squad but when that failed to happen he was sent on loan. He has talent and physicality but I always feel he doesn’t express himself sufficiently. He seems to ‘play safe’ rather than play with swagger.

As far as Everton is concerned, our best Academy youngsters don’t go on loan because the manager wants to have them available. Barkley & Osman being the exception but both had major injuries at critical stages of their development.

I’m afraid history shows that when an Academy youngster goes on loan its very unlikely they have a future at Everton.

I've said this for some time. Osman did both of his cruciate's and in honesty I don't think anybody really saw him as a 1st team player after that. He did very well in consecutive loans, and the club was skint so he got an opportunity after Rooney left. It was quite a unique circumstance.

Coleman was the other, but again Coleman was a very raw player, who had not been through academy football. So you could see talent, but he was raw. Barkley was sent out on loan because Moyes had become overly cautious by the end. I don't think the loans really helped Ross. What he needed was a manager to stick him in and let him play.

I digress slightly, but Ball, Dunne, Jeffers, Rooney, Rodwell, Davies etc didn't go on loan. They were straight in, normally before they were 18 and played a lot of games for the club.

As for Gordon to me it's just a case he didn't impress the manager enough. It's a bad sign he's on loan. It's a bit of a bugbear for me that people will call for loans like they are the magic solution and when they don't often work, it's then down to the wrng club. You start to womnder-well what sort of club do you want them to go to? Preston is local, a championship team etc, it's up to the player to make that step up.

I wouldn't write anyone off. Brainthwaite did very well at Blackburn but got a couple of knocks. Their form plummeted once he went out of the team and the City lad came into it. Gordon did well before they moved to a back 3 under a new manager, and in honesty he is not a wingback, so he had no real place in the system.

However you've no idea what people learn omn loan. I'm a big believer you learn a lot more about yourself when things go wrong than when things go well. That will be the reflection point for both Brainthwaite and particularly Gordon this summer. He needs to go away and have a think about what he needs to do to improve sufficiently. If he is going to be good enough, he will find a solution.

I've seen enough from him in glimpses that there is a very talented footballer in there. The way he sways past defenders is exceptional. The key is how does he do this more often.

I've said this for some time. Osman did both of his cruciate's and in honesty I don't think anybody really saw him as a 1st team player after that. He did very well in consecutive loans, and the club was skint so he got an opportunity after Rooney left. It was quite a unique circumstance.

Coleman was the other, but again Coleman was a very raw player, who had not been through academy football. So you could see talent, but he was raw. Barkley was sent out on loan because Moyes had become overly cautious by the end. I don't think the loans really helped Ross. What he needed was a manager to stick him in and let him play.

I digress slightly, but Ball, Dunne, Jeffers, Rooney, Rodwell, Davies etc didn't go on loan. They were straight in, normally before they were 18 and played a lot of games for the club.

As for Gordon to me it's just a case he didn't impress the manager enough. It's a bad sign he's on loan. It's a bit of a bugbear for me that people will call for loans like they are the magic solution and when they don't often work, it's then down to the wrng club. You start to womnder-well what sort of club do you want them to go to? Preston is local, a championship team etc, it's up to the player to make that step up.

I wouldn't write anyone off. Brainthwaite did very well at Blackburn but got a couple of knocks. Their form plummeted once he went out of the team and the City lad came into it. Gordon did well before they moved to a back 3 under a new manager, and in honesty he is not a wingback, so he had no real place in the system.

However you've no idea what people learn omn loan. I'm a big believer you learn a lot more about yourself when things go wrong than when things go well. That will be the reflection point for both Brainthwaite and particularly Gordon this summer. He needs to go away and have a think about what he needs to do to improve sufficiently. If he is going to be good enough, he will find a solution.

I've seen enough from him in glimpses that there is a very talented footballer in there. The way he sways past defenders is exceptional. The key is how does he do this more often.

....yep, I concentrate more on Gordon because he’s an Academy graduate. He’s in that slightly different Academy category that actually broke into the squad and made appearances before not pushing on & going on loan. Perhaps he could be in the grouping with Pennington, Galloway (I appreciate he was purchased into the Academy) & even Kenny.

Osman was a serious talent. Probably only 2nd to Rooney in my many years watching the youngsters. The club knew what they had.

Similar to yourself, I’m an admirer of Gordon. He can leave opposition players behind with that sway and very decent acceleration. He’s also a very good striker of the ball (notice he was given responsibility for free-kicks into the box with the first team). I just feel he concentrated on being ‘safe’ for Ancelotti, focusing more on what he did without the ball than with it.

i haven’t given up hope, but the signs aren’t good. The really good ones have arrogance & real belief in their ability.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.