Young EFC Players Out On Loan 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preston have changed the formation they play and Gordon hasn’t played since, in spite of early promise.

I think the club will have to look hard at loans going forward as I’m not sure it’s been beneficial to Gordon or Branthwaite. It has worked out very well for Simms who has gone in a league lower. That may be the key.

Preston have changed the formation they play and Gordon hasn’t played since, in spite of early promise.

I think the club will have to look hard at loans going forward as I’m not sure it’s been beneficial to Gordon or Branthwaite. It has worked out very well for Simms who has gone in a league lower. That may be the key.
I'm sure they look at it already but the simple fact is you have to produce the goods in senior football and if you don't you won't play. Everyhting Mowbray said about Branthwaite has been positive. He put him straight into the side and he played plenty of games, but eventually they decided he wasn't playing well enough to stay there. I'm really not sure what else you can do in that situation. Ultimately it's down to the player to perform, and it would appear that some of ours - Gordon in particular - just haven't.

I'm sure they look at it already but the simple fact is you have to produce the goods in senior football and if you don't you won't play. Everyhting Mowbray said about Branthwaite has been positive. He put him straight into the side and he played plenty of games, but eventually they decided he wasn't playing well enough to stay there. I'm really not sure what else you can do in that situation. Ultimately it's down to the player to perform, and it would appear that some of ours - Gordon in particular - just haven't.
All true I’m afraid, but I think going to a Championship team for four months and being expected to tear it up may be a step too far. it’s difficult joining a new club under normal circumstance.

Given that we want them to get acclimatised to professional competitive football in the first instance, should we make more use of division one for a first loan? After all, Simms loan at Blackpool has worked out really well I think.

All true I’m afraid, but I think going to a Championship team for four months and being expected to tear it up may be a step too far. it’s difficult joining a new club under normal circumstance.

Given that we want them to get acclimatised to professional competitive football in the first instance, should we make more use of division one for a first loan? After all, Simms loan at Blackpool has worked out really well I think.
It's a decent shout, but I think there's a bit more to it than that.

For one, you have to look at where a player is at in their development. Simms had literally no first team experience at all, hardly even a pre season friendly with the first team. Branthwaite had already played some games in League 2 and half a dozen competitive games for us, so they're not really in the same boat. I think Simms was just a case of seeing how he got on in a senior environment whereas Branthwaite they were looking to challenge him and potentially see whether he would be ready to part of the first team squad next season.

Secondly I think sometimes people look at loans a little bit simplistically. You mention yourself about 'tearing it up' and that's often what fans want when we have a player out on loan. If a player is doing really well in the championship then they can convince themselves we have a star on our hands who will walk into the first team on their return. In many ways though, Branthwaite's loan has been almost perfect. He's had some ups, some downs, some criticism and some praise. He's had proper competition and has had to fight for his place. From a development point of view, 10 games in the Championship where he sometimes struggles and so learns what he needs to do differently could be much more beneficial than 15 games in League One where he's man of the match every week and never experiences that bit of adversity. As an extension of that, I think you can only say a loan has 'worked out really well' (for Everton) when we see what happens after it. If Simms never plays a minute of football for us and leaves on a free to play in League One then this loan hasn't really worked out well at all. It might have for him, and for Blackpool, but it's not actually benefited Everton. If he comes back and is ready to play a part for us next year because of the experience he's gained, then it's worked out really well.

It's a decent shout, but I think there's a bit more to it than that.

For one, you have to look at where a player is at in their development. Simms had literally no first team experience at all, hardly even a pre season friendly with the first team. Branthwaite had already played some games in League 2 and half a dozen competitive games for us, so they're not really in the same boat. I think Simms was just a case of seeing how he got on in a senior environment whereas Branthwaite they were looking to challenge him and potentially see whether he would be ready to part of the first team squad next season.

Secondly I think sometimes people look at loans a little bit simplistically. You mention yourself about 'tearing it up' and that's often what fans want when we have a player out on loan. If a player is doing really well in the championship then they can convince themselves we have a star on our hands who will walk into the first team on their return. In many ways though, Branthwaite's loan has been almost perfect. He's had some ups, some downs, some criticism and some praise. He's had proper competition and has had to fight for his place. From a development point of view, 10 games in the Championship where he sometimes struggles and so learns what he needs to do differently could be much more beneficial than 15 games in League One where he's man of the match every week and never experiences that bit of adversity. As an extension of that, I think you can only say a loan has 'worked out really well' (for Everton) when we see what happens after it. If Simms never plays a minute of football for us and leaves on a free to play in League One then this loan hasn't really worked out well at all. It might have for him, and for Blackpool, but it's not actually benefited Everton. If he comes back and is ready to play a part for us next year because of the experience he's gained, then it's worked out really well.
Can’t disagree with any of that.
It just feels like the development of youngsters needs improving, however that is achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.