Young EFC Players Out On Loan 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, this is exactly what loans are for. If he carries on getting regular games it will have been a pretty much perfect loan. Some highs, some lows, plenty of minutes, that’s exactly what you want. He’s going to make mistakes. He isn’t going to come back a ready made rock whether it’s next season or the season after, there’s going to be ups and downs for a couple of years yet. He seems to be on the right path though.

Let's put it this way. Branthwaite will return from his loan having learned. Some good some bad. Poor Gibson will return having learned very little and is probably now very unlikely to make it here. If they go out on loan we need them to play. Holgate probably had bad games at West Brom but came back having been a first team regular. He is now a very important squad player.

Let's put it this way. Branthwaite will return from his loan having learned. Some good some bad. Poor Gibson will return having learned very little and is probably now very unlikely to make it here. If they go out on loan we need them to play. Holgate probably had bad games at West Brom but came back having been a first team regular. He is now a very important squad player.
I agree with you, but that's just football isn't it. We can't guarantee people will get games when they go out, they have to work hard and show their ability and earn games, just like they would here. Unfortunately for Gibson, if he can't force his way into the Reading side, it doesn't say much about his ability to force his way into ours. Not every prospect will make it at the top, and some of the ones that do will have to work their way up over a number of years. It's a competitive world, whether you stay in the under 23s or go out on loan, there's a good chance that you're going to fall by the wayside unfortunately.

I agree with you, but that's just football isn't it. We can't guarantee people will get games when they go out, they have to work hard and show their ability and earn games, just like they would here. Unfortunately for Gibson, if he can't force his way into the Reading side, it doesn't say much about his ability to force his way into ours. Not every prospect will make it at the top, and some of the ones that do will have to work their way up over a number of years. It's a competitive world, whether you stay in the under 23s or go out on loan, there's a good chance that you're going to fall by the wayside unfortunately.
This may be true atm, but not necessarily long term. He's only 20 this year, won't be 21 until after the season. Say he has another loan next year, that'll take him up to 22. Holgate is 24 now, had his WBA loan when he was 22. No reason we need to be expecting Gibson to show himself to be ready for the first team for a couple of years. Obviously we can't be keeping all our youngsters on like we have with some in the past, but at the same time that doesn't mean we need to be discarding them all if they haven't burst in to the first team squad by the time they're 20.

This may be true atm, but not necessarily long term. He's only 20 this year, won't be 21 until after the season. Say he has another loan next year, that'll take him up to 22. Holgate is 24 now, had his WBA loan when he was 22. No reason we need to be expecting Gibson to show himself to be ready for the first team for a couple of years. Obviously we can't be keeping all our youngsters on like we have with some in the past, but at the same time that doesn't mean we need to be discarding them all if they haven't burst in to the first team squad by the time they're 20.
No of course not, they're the decisions the club has to make, as always. Personally I've said before that i'm not convinced they have huge hopes for Gibson, the way things have panned out with him just makes me think they're not totally convinced. I'd be surprised if he was offered a new contract at the end of this season, and as he'd be in his last year I wouldn't be shocked if they looked to move him on. Players can always develop later but as you say, we can't keep hold of them all while we wait and see either, nor will many of them want us to.

No of course not, they're the decisions the club has to make, as always. Personally I've said before that i'm not convinced they have huge hopes for Gibson, the way things have panned out with him just makes me think they're not totally convinced. I'd be surprised if he was offered a new contract at the end of this season, and as he'd be in his last year I wouldn't be shocked if they looked to move him on. Players can always develop later but as you say, we can't keep hold of them all while we wait and see either, nor will many of them want us to.
Yeah tbh I haven't seen that much of him recently, just remember a fair amount of fanfare when he did come in, and has looked decent the few times I have seen him. Perhaps we can arrange a 1yr extension, and send him on loan with most of it covered by the loanee team. Again, like you say it really depends on what the club think of him, and tbh he may not want to stick around anyway :(

Yeah tbh I haven't seen that much of him recently, just remember a fair amount of fanfare when he did come in, and has looked decent the few times I have seen him. Perhaps we can arrange a 1yr extension, and send him on loan with most of it covered by the loanee team. Again, like you say it really depends on what the club think of him, and tbh he may not want to stick around anyway :(
I liked what I saw of him personally, but the fact that they let his contract run down, the lack of 'big' teams linked with him when that happened, the fact he never even got on the bench last season when we only had 3 centre halves all season, him only getting a 2 year extension, and now the lack of game time at Reading all point to me to him not being seen as top prospect. Compare it to Branthwaite for example, where pretty much the exact opposite applies in each of those cases, despite him being 2 years younger. It doesn't mean Gibson won't make it obviously, but I think the signs are that he just isn't that highly rated at the moment.

I think Gibson is being kept out of the side by someone who has signed a pre-contract with Bayern Munich (Richards?), so probably wasn't the best move.

For me Gibson still has a chance but he needs a really good pre season. Holgate is the obvious example of an opportunity will arise if you are good enough and prepared to wait. The problem being is he went somewhere that already had established CBs perhaps the club should have looked for a club that were short of a CB even if it wasn't a perfect team style wise. I also think Gibson shot himself in the foot as he insisted on a loan when there was a possibility he might have got game time here. Holgate and Branthwaite were injured and Mina was being rested for cup games. He would have got the 2 league cup games that Digne played plus he would have been on the bench for league games. Also with being left footed and having played some u23 games at left back would potentially also have got games at left back. He could always have gone on loan in January if he hadn't got any game time. He has another year on his contract I would be like to see him get a one year extension to give us some more time to assess however if he wants any longer its a no as we don't want another Pennington/Connolly situation as that helps neither the player or the club.

Pennington, Baningime, Connolly, Gordon and Simms all start tonight. Branthwaite on the bench and Gibson not even in the squad so I suspect he may be injured. I hope Baningime can do enough to tempt a club to buy him otherwise we may have another year of him blocking the u23s.

PS. Bolasie is also on the bench.

For me Gibson still has a chance but he needs a really good pre season. Holgate is the obvious example of an opportunity will arise if you are good enough and prepared to wait. The problem being is he went somewhere that already had established CBs perhaps the club should have looked for a club that were short of a CB even if it wasn't a perfect team style wise. I also think Gibson shot himself in the foot as he insisted on a loan when there was a possibility he might have got game time here. Holgate and Branthwaite were injured and Mina was being rested for cup games. He would have got the 2 league cup games that Digne played plus he would have been on the bench for league games. Also with being left footed and having played some u23 games at left back would potentially also have got games at left back. He could always have gone on loan in January if he hadn't got any game time. He has another year on his contract I would be like to see him get a one year extension to give us some more time to assess however if he wants any longer its a no as we don't want another Pennington/Connolly situation as that helps neither the player or the club.
Gibson was still here for at least the first cup game I think? The reports early in the season were that he wanted to stay thinking he might get games, but the club wanted to get him out on loan. I think the loan made reasonable sense in theory - reading can’t have been THAT happy with their options or they wouldn’t have asked to take him - but it hasn’t worked out. It happens.

Gibson was still here for at least the first cup game I think? The reports early in the season were that he wanted to stay thinking he might get games, but the club wanted to get him out on loan. I think the loan made reasonable sense in theory - reading can’t have been THAT happy with their options or they wouldn’t have asked to take him - but it hasn’t worked out. It happens.

He was still here for all 3 league cup games. I remember reading somewhere he got left out the squad as if he played for us and then went on loan they couldn't recall him and send him somewhere else on loan in the winter window. Ironically they never recalled him even though he didn't get much game time in the first half of the season. I thought I read somewhere that when he signed his contract in January last year one of the stipulations was they allowed him out on loan for the rest of that season and the season after as part of his development. I may have got that wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.