Young EFC Players Out on Loan 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Gibson is a more solid build than Branthwiate he must be a really big lad !

I was hoping that Gibson , might perhaps , have been able to play left back , but it sounds like a no from what you said.

...there was a stage I thought Gibson might be a LB but he’s a really big lad now and I don’t think he possesses the quality that allowed a Lescott to play that role so effectively.

Gibson was on the verge of letting his contract expire, be interesting what happens in the next 12 months. I imagine he’ll go out on loan and I wouldn’t be surprised if the club don’t look to recoup their investment.

Last edited:
Dowell has found his level in my opinion. He has not made enough of an impact at Championship level to justify being in a Premier League squad where top 7 is absolute minimum target. If we are happy meandering about in mid table give him another go otherwise cash in what little value he has left.

In all fairness though, look at Harry Kane. He had a few loans to the Championship and didn't make an impact either. Not saying Dowell will become like Kane but just shows that "successful" loans don't have to be the be all and end all. Loans are quite random, you never know how the player will bed in to his new squad, how he'll be treated by the manager etc.

In all fairness though, look at Harry Kane. He had a few loans to the Championship and didn't make an impact either. Not saying Dowell will become like Kane but just shows that "successful" loans don't have to be the be all and end all. Loans are quite random, you never know how the player will bed in to his new squad, how he'll be treated by the manager etc.

Absolutely and that is why I hope Ancelotti has a look at him. However my personal opinion is he's not good enough and he certainly doesn't suit 4-4-2. I also think Broadhead, Connolly, Bowler and Pennington are the same. They need to be checked to see if there is anything to work with however the strong likelihood is they will come up short as well. Baningime is clearly not deemed good enough as he couldn't even get minutes with the poor midfield options we had.

Absolutely and that is why I hope Ancelotti has a look at him. However my personal opinion is he's not good enough and he certainly doesn't suit 4-4-2. I also think Broadhead, Connolly, Bowler and Pennington are the same. They need to be checked to see if there is anything to work with however the strong likelihood is they will come up short as well. Baningime is clearly not deemed good enough as he couldn't even get minutes with the poor midfield options we had.
If he’s brought into the squad, it would be for a wide position. Youngsters are never given a chance in the middle.
Has he ever played out wide?

If he’s brought into the squad, it would be for a wide position. Youngsters are never given a chance in the middle.
Has he ever played out wide?

I think he played as right sided midfielder cutting in on his left for the u23s. However that was in attacking 3 in a 4-2-3-1 its a different discipline playing on right wing in 4-4-2. I think his time has come and gone but would be happily proven wrong as it would save us a fortune in the transfer market.

I think he played as right sided midfielder cutting in on his left for the u23s. However that was in attacking 3 in a 4-2-3-1 its a different discipline playing on right wing in 4-4-2. I think his time has come and gone but would be happily proven wrong as it would save us a fortune in the transfer market.
I remember him playing well in pre season about 2 years ago, then being punted on loan. He either needs to be in the squad or sold now.
No more loans.

I remember him playing well in pre season about 2 years ago, then being punted on loan. He either needs to be in the squad or sold now.
No more loans.

I agree. However give Ancelloti a couple of games to see for himself window doesn't shut until October. I don't think he will be good enough and we will probably get a couple of million for him but if he impresses Ancelloti he may be worth keeping as he could save us a fortune. I'm highly doubtful this will happen but Osman proves it does from time to time.

Good points.

We need some better quality at right back but it is a long way down the list of priorities .

We need to recruit at least 2 central midfielders and 1 wide midfield and that's where I see the majority of the budget going.

In an ideal world I'd then replace Mina or Keane and Coleman or Kenny with better quality but whether that is achievable on our budget I don't know.

We also need to replace Pickford with a solid , dependable keeper like Pope but once again it is a big ask financially and also to gel so many players in 1 go ( haven't we been here before )

It would be wonderful if we could introduce younger , homegrown players into the squad but I am far from sure that they are of enough quality.

Gordon looks a find and must be given a pathway. Kean I'm really not sure about. Came with a stellar reputation but Carlo wont give him game time in meaningless matches with no pressure - tells you something.

Branthwaite of the game and a bit that I have seen looks a tremendous prospect. I'm not a Brands fan but to be fair it looks like he unearthed a gem. I am more than happy with him as 4th choice centre back.

Doesn't Gibson play exactly the same position ( left sided centre half ) ? Not seen him play but I know @Eggs rates him.

Sadly Davies is very up and down and given his age and experience you would have hoped to see more progression but on balance I'd keep him for another year and see if Carlo can work his magic on him but I really don't see him as a starter.

DCL has seen a drop in form but his overall improvement this season has been startling and should be persevered with.

Richarlison , Digne and especially Holgate have been outstanding and we should build the team around them.

I'd happliy sell any of the others.

exactly.. it’s about priorities.. and in what positions we have talent coming through. I’m not convinced by any of the midfield chaps in our youth set up... but defence looks healthy..

...I think Dowell works hard but he’s languid in his movement so folk think he’s not putting in a shift when in reality, he is.

He has the quality to effectively impact games but he’s inconsistent and it’s reasonable to doubt his application after a number of disappointing loan spells. i suspect he needs to feel comfortable at a club but its difficult to see Wigan affording him in their current predicament.

Keep seeing this being stated as fact. A number of disappointing loans? I just genuinely don't understand where this is coming from. A 10 game spell at Derby was disappointing. The rest have been relatively successful. What else have you got to do for a loan to be successful?

The expectations are very unreasonable if you ask me.

Keep seeing this being stated as fact. A number of disappointing loans? I just genuinely don't understand where this is coming from. A 10 game spell at Derby was disappointing. The rest have been relatively successful. What else have you got to do for a loan to be successful?

If he were available to the first team right now, I think he would have got some minutes in the team.

...it’s a fair point, I think reading @atrottel excellent weekly updates the fans of the teams he’s played for get frustrated with his inconsistent performances.

...it’s a fair point, I think reading @atrottel excellent weekly updates the fans of the teams he’s played for get frustrated with his inconsistent performances.

For me, the incoming loan player is a difficult position to be in. If you don't absolutely light the place up, fans wonder what the point is of them being there. If they sign the loan player from a team higher up the chain than themselves, the expectations are raised even further. From the players perspective, you are joining a team, often lower down from the team you are leaving, joining a established group and knowing you probably won't be there for long. From the teams perspective, they have signed him for 1 of 2 reasons. They are short of cash and quality, and need a cheap alternative to give them a lift. Or they need numbers to bulk out the squad. If the player is really good and they have no chance of keeping them, they have a decision to make whether to continue to develop a player for another team and potentially stunt the development of their own players.

The only benefits I see are to expose them to full open age football with crowds and see how they adapt in different systems and pressures. I actually think the performances are almost secondary. That said, the variety of experiences Dowell has had, and the positive impacts he has been able to make in different teams and formations, with different managers and styles, stand him in good stead and rather than being used as a negative against him, I feel it reflects well on his character.

Status
Not open for further replies.