Young EFC Players Out On Loan 17-18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Championship
Bolton Wanderers - Antonee Robinson played full match in 1-0 home win over Hull City

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff
Excellent play from @Antonee_Jedi down the left nearly creates an opening for a Wanderers second as @Litts_2 charges in at the back post and volleys goalbound only to see it blocked. (54)
More pressure from Wanderers who are desperate to find this second goal. @Antonee_Jedi the next to test McGregor as he cuts inside and strikes at goal. (66)

Fan comments
"Young Robinson had a good second half after a very shaky first 45 minutes"
"Anthoneeeeeeeeee reverted to novice mode once again."
"Remember Robinson getting caught under a long ball as the wind carried it over his head."

Nottingham Forest - Kieran Dowell played full match in 0-0 away draw at Leeds United

OS Match Report
"But Forest almost shot themselves in the foot on 14 as Pontus Jansson arrived completely unmarked from a corner to head at goal and he would have put the home side ahead were it not for some fine goal-line defending by Kieran Dowell.
Dowell then had an impact at the other end of the pitch on 23 as he broke forward from midfield and hit a right-footed shot from the edge of the box which drifted harmlessly wide."
"Dowell also had an effort from just inside the area which he hit straight at the Leeds keeper."

Twitter stuff
23' Leeds 0-0 #NFFC: Kieran Dowell powers through the middle third of the pitch but then drags his effort harmlessly wide of the target.
68' Leeds 0-0 #NFFC: Matty Cash plays a neat square ball into the penalty area for Kieran Dowell but Wiedwald pushes his effort wide.

Fan comments
"Our best chance was Dowells volley inside the box that was a excellently worked."
"Barring his goal-line block early on and his shot at goal Dowell has had another mare - he lost the ball just about every time he had it with stray, weak passes or just letting it run past him to the player behind him who was never expecting it. I’d be tempted to bench him for a bit and give Clough a go - the kick up the arse might do him good."
"Dowell isn't as influential as he was earlier in the season but he's 20 and this is his first proper season as a professional footballer, in a very competitive league. People need to cut him some slack."
"Dowell had a poor game."
"Dowell and McKay just don’t look to bothered.."
"As for those criticising Dowell, yes he was quiet today, but when Leeds had crowded out the middle of the park defensively, he didn't really have any options to get the ball through successfully to our strikers. He's also still very young and inexperienced as a professional, so the odd off day is to be expected really."
"Dowell is one of those players with a languid style of play and if it's not going so well it looks even worse. I thought he gave it a good go, as did all the players."

Barnsley - Joe Williams played full match in 1-0 away win over Sunderland

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff
5 - Close again! Great start from Paul Heckingbottom's side as a corner is awarded, Williams gets it into the middle and Hammill strikes wide left-footed.

Fan comments
"Would love us to take a punt and sign him now."
"He virtually ran the game for us"
"He’s going to be an excellent player."

Sunderland - Tyias Browning played full 90 minutes in the same match

OS Match Report

No real comments about him.

League Two
Crewe Alexandra - Conor Grant played full match in 2-0 home win over Grimsby Town

OS Match Report
"Crewe soon settled into their stride though and after some encouraging build-up play involving Cooper and Ng allowed Conor Grant to skip past a challenge but the on-loan Evertonian couldn’t keep his shot down enough to test Ben Killip in the Grimsby goal."

Twitter stuff
7' First opening for #CreweAlex, Conor Grant evading a few challenges before thumping one over the top from 20-yards (0-0)

Matthew Pennington and Brendan Galloway were not in matchday squads.

Championship
Bolton Wanderers - Antonee Robinson played full match in 1-0 home win over Hull City

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff
Excellent play from @Antonee_Jedi down the left nearly creates an opening for a Wanderers second as @Litts_2 charges in at the back post and volleys goalbound only to see it blocked. (54)
More pressure from Wanderers who are desperate to find this second goal. @Antonee_Jedi the next to test McGregor as he cuts inside and strikes at goal. (66)

Fan comments
"Young Robinson had a good second half after a very shaky first 45 minutes"
"Anthoneeeeeeeeee reverted to novice mode once again."
"Remember Robinson getting caught under a long ball as the wind carried it over his head."

Nottingham Forest - Kieran Dowell played full match in 0-0 away draw at Leeds United

OS Match Report
"But Forest almost shot themselves in the foot on 14 as Pontus Jansson arrived completely unmarked from a corner to head at goal and he would have put the home side ahead were it not for some fine goal-line defending by Kieran Dowell.
Dowell then had an impact at the other end of the pitch on 23 as he broke forward from midfield and hit a right-footed shot from the edge of the box which drifted harmlessly wide."
"Dowell also had an effort from just inside the area which he hit straight at the Leeds keeper."

Twitter stuff
23' Leeds 0-0 #NFFC: Kieran Dowell powers through the middle third of the pitch but then drags his effort harmlessly wide of the target.
68' Leeds 0-0 #NFFC: Matty Cash plays a neat square ball into the penalty area for Kieran Dowell but Wiedwald pushes his effort wide.

Fan comments
"Our best chance was Dowells volley inside the box that was a excellently worked."
"Barring his goal-line block early on and his shot at goal Dowell has had another mare - he lost the ball just about every time he had it with stray, weak passes or just letting it run past him to the player behind him who was never expecting it. I’d be tempted to bench him for a bit and give Clough a go - the kick up the arse might do him good."
"Dowell isn't as influential as he was earlier in the season but he's 20 and this is his first proper season as a professional footballer, in a very competitive league. People need to cut him some slack."
"Dowell had a poor game."
"Dowell and McKay just don’t look to bothered.."
"As for those criticising Dowell, yes he was quiet today, but when Leeds had crowded out the middle of the park defensively, he didn't really have any options to get the ball through successfully to our strikers. He's also still very young and inexperienced as a professional, so the odd off day is to be expected really."
"Dowell is one of those players with a languid style of play and if it's not going so well it looks even worse. I thought he gave it a good go, as did all the players."

Barnsley - Joe Williams played full match in 1-0 away win over Sunderland

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff
5 - Close again! Great start from Paul Heckingbottom's side as a corner is awarded, Williams gets it into the middle and Hammill strikes wide left-footed.

Fan comments
"Would love us to take a punt and sign him now."
"He virtually ran the game for us"
"He’s going to be an excellent player."

Sunderland - Tyias Browning played full 90 minutes in the same match

OS Match Report

No real comments about him.

League Two
Crewe Alexandra - Conor Grant played full match in 2-0 home win over Grimsby Town

OS Match Report
"Crewe soon settled into their stride though and after some encouraging build-up play involving Cooper and Ng allowed Conor Grant to skip past a challenge but the on-loan Evertonian couldn’t keep his shot down enough to test Ben Killip in the Grimsby goal."

Twitter stuff
7' First opening for #CreweAlex, Conor Grant evading a few challenges before thumping one over the top from 20-yards (0-0)

Matthew Pennington and Brendan Galloway were not in matchday squads.

...Joe Williams continues to impress at Championship level, be interesting if January offers come in for any of these lads.

...Joe Williams continues to impress at Championship level, be interesting if January offers come in for any of these lads.
You would think that of all our players on loan that Joe Williams is Big Sam’s type of player . Some very insightful comments on Dowell which also apply to Joe - his first real season as a professional in a competitive league. And he’s doing well. For me it would make good sense to leave them all where they are providing managerial changes etc don’t stop them getting game time.

Offered £1mill? If he was theirs and we wanted him they would ask for about £7mill.

Ask for £3million, a buy back clause for the next 3 years, a sell on clause and the removal of Holgates sell on clause.

Hopefully someone will have enough faith in him to say “ Nice try. You can keep him until the summer and if we want to sell you’ll have first option. Meanwhile keep playing him , you’re in a relegation fight , he’s the man to help you”. £1 mill is nothing, so it’s not a gamble to keep him. While we can’t keep and give first team opportunities to all our young players , Williams would be a great squad player next season. He may not be PL ready yet but I’d rather him on the bench than some 30 yr old nomark Sam has bought for a bargain £5mill.

In Yorkshire last weekend I took the opportunity to slink off to watch Barnsley play Reading, specifically to watch Joe Williams.

Given the poor form of both teams I didn't have any expectations of a good game but I have to say that apart from the West Ham game it was the most enjoyable I've seen all season, and better than most last season as well. Reading reminded me of us: high expectations at the start of the season but underperforming and in such a bad run that they could easily be sucked into the relegation zone. Barnsley, on the other hand, were pre-season favourites for relegation so expected to struggle, but had done better than expected until their recent run of 8 without a win. Their performance in this game reminded me of many games at Goodison over the years: a home side full of effort and spirit, enjoying little luck, going behind but fighting back to earn a late equaliser and almost grab a last minute winner. They should have won about 3-1.

To Joe Wiiliams. First thing, all the Barnsley fans I spoke to liked and rated him. They reckon he's been the most consistent of their loan players, and one of the most consistent in what is a young team. They also said he was very happy there and seemed to relish playing every week, but that he'd had his worst game for them in the last home game. Finally they said that they had money to spend so a sneaky offer could be on the way.

I'd seen him before at a lower level but this was the first time in men's football and he looked completely at home. His role was basically defensive, putting in plenty of McCarthyesque tackles and picking the ball up off his defence before playing a simple pass. That's what I expected from him but I was delighted to see him make some charges forward, even though they didn't always come off. He charged into the box a few times but wayward crosses or the ball being cut out meant they didn't lead to anything. At times, though, what with him wearing a red shirt, I had painful flashbacks of Stevie Mee in the way he ran. Barnsley dominated midfield and Joe played a big part in that,but they were let down by their final ball, and he was also guilty of that occasionally, although not as bad as the two wingers, ex RS Hammill, and Barnes who Leicester have just recalled from his loan spell.

Overall I'd have given him a 7 out of 10 which is not bad if he did have a poor game last time. I was pleased and not surprised to see they won at Sunderland yesterday.

Could Joe make it at Everton? Not sure.

Would I like to see him given a chance in the 1st team? Yes, next season - leave him at Barnsley for now. I'd certainly like to see him in a team that wasn't having to battle every week, then we might have more idea if he could make it in the Prem. He'd certainly put in more effort than some of the current players. I'd be sad if he leaves without having had a chance, although not as sad as if Liam Walsh goes!

...Everton have apparently turned the bid down saying they are not interested in selling the player at this stage.

He’s worth more than a million quid, but so was Mason Holgate, so it’s swings and roundabouts, hopefully with us putting in a bid, Joe is open to the offer, otherwise why even place the bid, if that’s the case our coaching staff must be doing something right so that’s a positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.