2018/19 Yerry Mina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played 12 games due to injury including very good performances against Chelsea twice and away to Liverpool.

Flop? Come off it.

Once again for those at the back:

Getting injuries is not his fault. No player wants to get injured.

Even this time it was his international team playing him in two friendlies in three days after just recovering from another injury. Brainless.

Played 12 games due to injury including very good performances against Chelsea twice and away to Liverpool.

Flop? Come off it.

Even this time it was his international team playing him in two friendlies in three days after just recovering from another injury. Brainless.
I wouldn't class him as a flop simply because he's got plenty of time to come good, but let's be clear here, it's very much a sign of how bad some of our recent signings have been that we don't see him as an absolute disaster. A couple of years ago the idea of spending £28m on a player who found himself out of the side a lot (behind players who haven't exactly been brilliant themselves), got injured a fair bit, and had a decent number of poor games when he did get on to the pitch would have been met with widespread horror. Now we just shrug it off because we've made a number of worse signings.

I wouldn't class him as a flop simply because he's got plenty of time to come good, but let's be clear here, it's very much a sign of how bad some of our recent signings have been that we don't see him as an absolute disaster. A couple of years ago the idea of spending £28m on a player who found himself out of the side a lot (behind players who haven't exactly been brilliant themselves), got injured a fair bit, and had a decent number of poor games when he did get on to the pitch would have been met with widespread horror. Now we just shrug it off because we've made a number of worse signings.

Not the case for me. I never negatively judge a player or a signing based on injuries because anyone can get injured.

If a player comes and doesn't play much before leaving due to injury then it was unlucky, not a flop, for me at least. Flop is a term reserved for players who play and just fail.

Flop? Come off it.

Finally, some sense

Not the case for me. I never negatively judge a player or a signing based on injuries because anyone can get injured.

If a player comes and doesn't play much before leaving due to injury then it was unlucky, not a flop, for me at least. Flop is a term reserved for players who play and just fail.
And that's absolutely fine, but as I said, it's not just the injuries. He's not always been picked when fit, and he's not always played well when picked. Allied to a bit of veiled criticism from the manager about needing to work in training and adapt quicker, I think it's fair to say this hasn't quite been what we were hoping for from our most expensive ever defender.

Again, he has plenty of time to improve, but I stand by saying that in years gone by we'd have been all been flapping that this was a dud. It's only the fact there's been so many that we know are duds that's seen him go under the radar.

Reactions: Tez
I accepted this was a transition season and i fully expect to see him, Bernard and hopefully Gomes become star players next year.

Reactions: Tez

You are correct any player can get injured but there are ways you can increase your chances of staying fit. One of the major ones is keeping in shape. I think Mina looks as if he is carrying a bit too much weight to me. Doing that puts more strain on your body.

He has a big frame anyway so I think it is far from certain that he will become resistant to injuries.

You are correct any player can get injured but there are ways you can increase your chances of staying fit. One of the major ones is keeping in shape. I think Mina looks as if he is carrying a bit too much weight to me. Doing that puts more strain on your body.

He has a big frame anyway so I think it is far from certain that he will become resistant to injuries.
So does cold weather. It will take time for his body to adjust.

He's not played enough to form a good opinion, when he has played the whole team has been inconsistent. the mangers words were a bit worrying but I'm hoping a full pre season and having had a full year here, he will settle.

Status
Not open for further replies.