XG? Love it hate it

Status
Not open for further replies.
just because you don't understand it doesn't mean its without merit! personally i think its an interesting metric to assess our performances at either end of the pitch. in some ways its reassuring to see that we haven't over performed or under performed and that our XG is in-line with our actual results. it shows that we are getting what we deserve for the most part!

I am old school and only care about what I see with my own eyes. Stats [on their own] do not really tell anybody anything, in reality. I suppose, if the manager/coaches are stats minded then things like this could help them, etc. but as a fan I just don't see the point in 95% of the stats that are out there.

If I don't watch a game then all I care about is the goals for/against column. For me, any league table that is not the one that has points actually gained is just as bad as that alternative league table that them lot have.

For the whole season there is no comparison. After 7 games last year we were probably similarly good but it dropped way off. I don't expect that to happen this time.

After 7 games last season it was remarkably similar, which is why it doesn't really seem sensible to look into this too much yet.

It's encouraging, that's about it.

I do suspect that we'll end up better off on this metric than last season as our xG exploits in the early part of the season were quite James-centric I seem to remember, and they tailed off a lot over the course of the rest of the season. I *think* the current set-up is a little bit more sustainable than the "give it to James" tactics we employed for the same period last season, but you never know.

On the whole "is xG a worthwhile metric", Brentford are in the Premier League more or less because of it. Mate of mine lent me a book called "The Expected Goals Philosophy" which has sort of opened my eyes to the whole thing.

giphy.gif
??
Heck of an elevator pitch... 'Imagine if Cartman ate Harry Potter...!'

After 7 games last season it was remarkably similar, which is why it doesn't really seem sensible to look into this too much yet.

It's encouraging, that's about it.

I do suspect that we'll end up better off on this metric than last season as our xG exploits in the early part of the season were quite James-centric I seem to remember, and they tailed off a lot over the course of the rest of the season. I *think* the current set-up is a little bit more sustainable than the "give it to James" tactics we employed for the same period last season, but you never know.
Yeah that's my feeling pretty much exactly

Status
Not open for further replies.