Wouldn't it be hilarious...

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was put in the defensive mid role at United and was appalling every time I watched him, couldn't pass the ball couldn't keep hold of ot and he would just get frustrated in the process.
That would be the position he'd play for us as Bobby is quite clearly against putting a big fella upfront and launching It to him. Therefore I don't think he is any longer suited to our style of play.

Bit too simplistic that view mate.

I don't disagree that he was a bit rubbish for United. But there was lots and lots of reasons for this.

Everyone at United was rubbish last year, bar maybe a couple. This was his big move to a big club. It was the very wrong time for him to go there in the situation they were in. And he had a few injuries if memory serves me right.
One bad season at United under incredibly difficult circumstances doesn't make him a bad player. Especially as we've seen him be great over a longer period of time.

If you read the context you'll I meant by 2 million as after profit from the Fellaini deal is taken into account and subtracted from the transfer fee. My point stands that we could find a potentially outstanding international midfielder for 12 million that would fit our style of play better as well as offering us the opportunity to receive back and grow our initial investment. Don't get me wrong, Fellaini would be a good deal for some side at 12million pounds, just not for us, there are other options that would suit us far better. Take Macca. 13million initially but makes our side tick and has easily doubled his resale value in 12months. As a side we have moved on from Fellaini.
lol Yeah so after taking everything into account he would cost us £2m - that is the context.

£2m for someone who could quite easily fill the Barry role (and with more pace and energy), give us more of a goal threat and have years ahead of him.

Your financial arguement about resale value just doesn't stack up - the net effect is that we would have paid £2m 6 years ago for some one who is now worth £12m. That's a sixfold increase not the doubling of value as in your guesstimate for the case of McCarthy. If we are playing guesstimates then I guess that Fellaini will have a good World Cup and be worth a lot closer to £20m this summer.

Bit too simplistic that view mate.

I don't disagree that he was a bit rubbish for United. But there was lots and lots of reasons for this.

Everyone at United was rubbish last year, bar maybe a couple. This was his big move to a big club. It was the very wrong time for him to go there in the situation they were in. And he had a few injuries if memory serves me right.
One bad season at United under incredibly difficult circumstances doesn't make him a bad player. Especially as we've seen him be great over a longer period of time.

I understand where your comign from, he is still a good player but I don't think it would work for us.
In his first few seasons for us he was great in that defensive mid role then Moyes changed him to attacking which I think he preffered, I think it would take a lot of work to make Felli a great defensive midfielder again.

I wouldn't want us to employ it with Felli mate. And as a serious alternative to Lukaku? Come on mate, there's left field and then there's bark at the moon :)

So you wouldn't like the option of maybe Fellaini sharing the workload and alternating with Remy or another £12m striker knowing he can play the role (as he's done it well before) you'd prefer to spend it in one go on Lukaku? Actually me too to be honest, it was more of a nod to the naysayers who bemoan Lukaku isn't the finished article and will never get any better.

I have far more sympathy for Felli than I do Moyes and I hope he gets regular football for either Utd or elsewhere, however I don't want elsewhere to be Everton. I think Martinez always planned on shipping him out because of the style that he wanted to play, and I'd rather we continued down that route rather than going back in for Fellaini.

Good luck to him though.

Big World Cup for the big man. He will be keen to prove a lot of people wrong.

I rate him, but not sure he'd be a priority. I'd have him on loan though. If he has a poor tournament, United might struggle to get him off the wage bill, unless QPR or Stoke make him their big signing.

The hilarity's died down for me. It was initially satisfying to see Moyes fail, but I feel a bit sorry for Fellaini - he was a decent professional for us and went about his transfer pretty much as well as anyone could ask - and don't have any particular animosity towards Utd.

At £12m he'll be a good signing for someone, but it's unlikely to be us.

So you wouldn't like the option of maybe Fellaini sharing the workload and alternating with Remy or another £12m striker knowing he can play the role (as he's done it well before) you'd prefer to spend it in one go on Lukaku? Actually me too to be honest, it was more of a nod to the naysayers who bemoan Lukaku isn't the finished article and will never get any better.

I really like Felli mate, but I just don't think he fits the mould of player that Bobby wants.

I'd have him back but he wouldn't be first choice in our system and I certainly wouldn't want to spend a good proportion of our transfer funds on him. Good player but he isn't necessary. I'd eat my own face is Martinez decided to buy him back.

The only position he was effective for us was off the striker. We now have a manager who plays Ross Barkley. 12m for a back up sounds a bit daft to me. I would rather put it towards Lukaku or another striker like some have mentioned

To be honest, that's still more than most of us can imagine, but I know what you're trying to say.
You're right proportionally he probably doesn't get what he deserves. However it's nice that a player that he thought was far too amazing for little old everton has come unstuck. I hope he knows we wouldn't have him back either.

I have no problem myself with Fellani but we really dont need him back, yes a good player but we have moved on, 12m would be good for another club but not Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.