Would you scrap international football?

Would you scrap international football?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

I loved international football when I was a kid. It used to be a genuine step up. But since club football got so much richer and more powerful, international football has become a step down from the top leagues. Instead of the ridiculous idea of expanding the World Cup, international football should be few and far between, only allow friendlies in build up to major tournaments, and make the groups tougher, to give it more value.

Even before seamus injury my vote would have been yes. The standard of football at the last few world cups has been terrible and as the least patriotic Australian you'd probably ever meet i don't care for it much anymore.

Just interrupts the real football

Bit kopite-y this lids, not quite "we are not English, we are Scouse", but it's still grim.

Yeah, I found that mentality odd when I first worked in Liverpool. Being from the Wirral, that mentality didn't exist and I just thought it was weird and extremely parochial, especially with some scousers having a big chip on their shoulder about the England team being the darling of the 'London-based media'. But it's the same in all big cities. It's a shame really, but seems unique to football. You don't get the same reaction during the Olympics, when everyone has pride in Team GB.

As an American and an Evertonian, I prefer Everton 99% of the time. But nothing is like the World Cup. Besides that though I could care less about international football.

I think about when the next time I can head across the pond to Goodison to see Everton, and I can't say the same about our national team.

I don't get the idea of 'qualifying' for big nations. 95% is just what they do at club level.

I know it's reactionary but I am so sick of our players getting ruined in matches we have no control over..

Having said that, the last tournament, the Euros was absolutely horrific viewing. It was literally the only tournament I couldn't wait to finish, UEFA have killed it with the 24 team thing. Nice one Platini you bag of cement.

Yeah, I found that mentality odd when I first worked in Liverpool. Being from the Wirral, that mentality didn't exist and I just thought it was weird and extremely parochial, especially with some scousers having a big chip on their shoulder about the England team being the darling of the 'London-based media'. But it's the same in all big cities. It's a shame really, but seems unique to football. You don't get the same reaction during the Olympics, when everyone has pride in Team GB.

Whether people are willing to admit it or not though the difference with something like olympics is that there is no club loyalty. When an england team takes the field with 3 rs players, 4 utd and a couple of spurs/arsenal it is actually very hard to genuinely want them to tear the opposition apart a.la brazil 70.

The strength of team gb is that absolute absence of team loyalties.

All that said I enjoyed italia 90 and euro 96 but since then I honestly cannot get excited about england, even when there are everton lads in the team. It's a waste of a weekend when we could be watching league football.

Status
Not open for further replies.