Would we too have tanked Europa League GS matches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arsenal seem to find a way of getting through groups rather easily in this, whilst blooding some youngsters. Admittedly they have a better/bigger squad.

I think as things stand, we would likely struggle at group stage again, if we were to find ourselves in it next year. Or, we would do ok, at the expense of league form.

There is perhaps something to be said for treating the group stage games as a tester and an opportunity to experiment, particularly if you get somewhat lucky with the draw.

Ultimately, we need to be qualifying for the UEL year on year, and learning to manage it whilst maintaining or improving league position.

If we are in it, surely the goal is to win the thing.

Come Spring if Wolves are struggling they'll blame it on playing a few matches abroad 6 months earlier. If we're bad come spring will we blame pre season in Africa or our European pre season games? No. It's just a handy excuse that people accept.

We won't win the league any time soon, so the league solely exists for us to try and get into Europe to win there.

People who say the Europa League, especially when involved in the earlier stages, doesn't, or shouldn't impact domestic performance for teams not used or setup for European football don't understand the game.

Of course it has an impact.

The question is whether or not it's a worthwhile impact.
Does that in include the champions league, because it didn't bother the Rs, last season.

Being in Europe allows you to have a bigger squad. I imagine if we had been in Europe we would definitely have 4 viable options at CB and would have found players easier to attract. If we make it next year we should play a decent strength team resting 3 or 4 first choice players and maybe allow a couple of younger players on the bench to bring on if comfortable in games.

Being in Europe allows you to have a bigger squad. I imagine if we had been in Europe we would definitely have 4 viable options at CB and would have found players easier to attract. If we make it next year we should play a decent strength team resting 3 or 4 first choice players and maybe allow a couple of younger players on the bench to bring on if comfortable in games.
Bigger squad means more deadwood, not more quality. Not a chance the likes of Mirallas and the other players that Brands got credit for shifting would be gone.

Bigger squad means more deadwood, not more quality. Not a chance the likes of Mirallas and the other players that Brands got credit for shifting would be gone.

I'm thinking maybe 3 more players. We might not have had to send Kenny on loan to get him game time. Mirallas and the like would still have been binned just we would have had a slightly bigger budget therefore could afford to go into the market sooner. On the flip side not being in Europe this season means if we ever find some away form we might just be able to give the league a genuine go and pinch a top 4 with only City and RS looking a cut above this year.

I'm thinking maybe 3 more players. We might not have had to send Kenny on loan to get him game time. Mirallas and the like would still have been binned just we would have had a slightly bigger budget therefore could afford to go into the market sooner. On the flip side not being in Europe this season means if we ever find some away form we might just be able to give the league a genuine go and pinch a top 4 with only City and RS looking a cut above this year.
This is why it's great we didn't get stuck in Europa, plus we can have a better go at the league cup.
Only problem is we seem to be useless at playing football, again.

Arsenal seem to find a way of getting through groups rather easily in this, whilst blooding some youngsters. Admittedly they have a better/bigger squad.

I think as things stand, we would likely struggle at group stage again, if we were to find ourselves in it next year. Or, we would do ok, at the expense of league form.

There is perhaps something to be said for treating the group stage games as a tester and an opportunity to experiment, particularly if you get somewhat lucky with the draw.

Ultimately, we need to be qualifying for the UEL year on year, and learning to manage it whilst maintaining or improving league position.

If we are in it, surely the goal is to win the thing.

My theory on this, for what it's worth, is that you have 6 clubs who are used to playing twice a week. From preparation, to previous experience ranging form players, coaches, managers etc. There is experience of how to set a pre-season up, how to manage players, how to explain it to players etc. There is also a clear expectation if you join those teams you are going to be playing 2 games a week for most of the season.

For the rest it's a rarity. I always thought Wolves would struggle, they used the same 11 game in game out last season and it would hit them. Likewise you can see Nuno is a good training ground manager, again he won't get time to do much of that.

In all honesty I think we would have struggled. However you will only get better through experience. The aim of the club really has to be it starts playing every season in Europe, and finding players who can cope with those demands.

My theory on this, for what it's worth, is that you have 6 clubs who are used to playing twice a week. From preparation, to previous experience ranging form players, coaches, managers etc. There is experience of how to set a pre-season up, how to manage players, how to explain it to players etc. There is also a clear expectation if you join those teams you are going to be playing 2 games a week for most of the season.

For the rest it's a rarity. I always thought Wolves would struggle, they used the same 11 game in game out last season and it would hit them. Likewise you can see Nuno is a good training ground manager, again he won't get time to do much of that.

In all honesty I think we would have struggled. However you will only get better through experience. The aim of the club really has to be it starts playing every season in Europe, and finding players who can cope with those demands.
T
I would rather have good players then experienced ones. Wolverhampton gaining experience, don't think it would help them next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.