Would we too have tanked Europa League GS matches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 48881

Yesterday I was watching Wolves in completely tank mode, manager rested the key players, they came on only after they were losing but still they didn't care much after conceding the goal and it didn't really matter for the team or the crowd, which couldn't fill the stadium by any means.

We are always talking about Europa and how great it is to be there etc. yet Wolves managed to arrive GS after eliminating 3 teams, so it is not like they were rusty or anything. You can see posts like ''League matters more ;)'' by their own fans in reply to Wolves' tweets about losing the match. So what is the point really? It is a never-ending circle lol

So if we somehow come 7th or 6th this year, will we have the same attitude, resting key players and getting beat by similarly weak teams like Braga as Wolves did yesterday, if so, what is the motivation of trying to get 6th, 7th? Personally I would have loved to make it to QFs, SFs at Europa League, even if it costs us finishing the league at 9th or 10th said season, but some may think differently. Why?

Discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday I was watching Wolves in completely tank mode, manager rested the key players, they came on only after they were losing but still they didn't care much after conceding the goal and it didn't really matter for the team or the crowd, which couldn't fill the stadium by any means.

We are always talking about Europa and how great it is to be there etc
. yet Wolves managed to arrive GS after eliminating 3 teams, so it is not like they were rusty or anything. You can see posts like ''League matters more ;)'' by their own fans in reply to Wolves' tweets about losing the match. So what is the point really?

So if we somehow come 7th or 6th this year, will we have the same attitude, resting key players and getting beat by similarly weak teams like Braga as Wolves did yesterday, if so, what is the motivation of trying to get 6th, 7th? Personally I would have loved to make it to QFs, SFs at Europa League, even if it costs us finishing the league at 9th or 10th that season, but some may think differently. Why?

Discuss.
No it's not, it's awful, Wolves are fools for not getting eliminated first chance, could cost Nuno his job.

No it's not, it's awful, Wolves are fools for not getting eliminated first chance, could cost Nuno his job.

So would you want us getting eliminated by Pyunik Yerevan (Armenian team that Wolves beat on their way), should we qualify for EL next season? If it is that terrible of a competition, what is all the fuss about the 6th, 7th place?

m8 we look half arsed against a gash Bournemouth team, Imagine if we had to play Europa too we'd be in serious trouble.
I think Arsenal have the best method of doing it by playing a few first team players and the rest just kids.
Europa is such a poisoned chalice because it's facts that it messes with your league form unless you have a vastly experienced squad/big squad but all players and managers look for teams to be in the Europa/CL to look like a promising team.
Winning in Europa is such a nice feeling though when we absolutely smashed Wolfsburg it felt so god damn good.

....if the inference is that Wolves have thrown in the towel, then it’s hard to understand why it meant so much to get through the group stages and why such a huge bonus was on offer to their players last season for qualifying.

I imagine we would’ve given this a go, but our early season form suggests we might not have been good enough.

m8 we look half arsed against a gash Bournemouth team, Imagine if we had to play Europa too we'd be in serious trouble.
I think Arsenal have the best method of doing it by playing a few first team players and the rest just kids.
Europa is such a poisoned chalice because it's facts that it messes with your league form unless you have a vastly experienced squad/big squad but all players and managers look for teams to be in the Europa/CL to look like a promising team.
Winning in Europa is such a nice feeling though when we absolutely smashed Wolfsburg it felt so god damn good.
It’s almost as if the Europa League is set up in such a way that it protects the top teams in the Champions League :coffee:

It’s simple really, if we have aspirations to one day get into the champs league, we will have to get used to playing in Europe. If you can’t do well in the europa then your no way ready for champions league.
I think Everton need to be in Europe every year, it’s one of the main reasons we’ve stalled in my opinion. Plus it’s another game to watch most weeks.

It’s simple really, if we have aspirations to one day get into the champs league, we will have to get used to playing in Europe. If you can’t do well in the europa then your no way ready for champions league.
I think Everton need to be in Europe every year, it’s one of the main reasons we’ve stalled in my opinion. Plus it’s another game to watch most weeks.

Exactly my thoughts. Fans who are in favour of tanking games or resting key players for Europa shocking me.

I mean you are trying hard to be better in the league to make it to Europe, then you don't want to perform there because you may not be in top 7 in your own league. Funny innit

People who say the Europa League, especially when involved in the earlier stages, doesn't, or shouldn't impact domestic performance for teams not used or setup for European football don't understand the game.

Of course it has an impact.

The question is whether or not it's a worthwhile impact.

People who say the Europa League, especially when involved in the earlier stages, doesn't, or shouldn't impact domestic performance for teams not used or setup for European football don't understand the game.

Of course it has an impact.

The question is whether or not it's a worthwhile impact.

of course it has an impact, but what's the end game if it isn't playing in Europe?

big teams can juggle Europe and the prem, we NEED to be able to do both if we want to be one of the big boys

Status
Not open for further replies.