Would we have gone down without Allardyce

Relegation

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 28206

Merson (LOL) claims Allardyce saved us from relegation, I don’t doubt it factually but do you agree if he wasn’t employed we’d have gone down?

Speaking on Sky Sports, he said: “If it wasn’t for this man, where would they be now? They were going absolutely zilcho nowhere.

“They’d just been beaten 4-1 by Southampton and they looked like they were gone.

“He came in and he made it look very easy and kept them up.

“Now it’s like ‘well we don’t want Sam, we would have stayed up anyway.’

“No they wouldn’t have stayed up – they’d have gone down. If he’d have gone to West Brom on the same day that he’d gone to Everton, West Brom would have stayed up.”

We'd never of been in relegation trouble had the club not sacked Koeman without a plan. I wanted him gone as much as anyone but doing so and leaving us under Rhino for as long as they did without any plan going forward was a disaster. Allardyce himself hasn't "saved us" at all, any even slightly competent manager could of done what he has. Koodos to BFS, he's made an absolute fortune for the easiest job he'll ever have.

Not a chance in hell. It is all complete and utter bollox. After Unsworth won that last game in charge against West Ham i.e the day before Allardyce was appointed, we were 13th in the table and only 2 points off 9th. Table after the West Ham game - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ndings-after-wednesdays-premier-league-scores

We are still only just holding on to bloody 9th now after all of our wannabe saviours negativeness, playing for draws and having just 4 wins in the last 17 games. In other words, he has done feck all except keep us the same as we were before he took over only with far more dire embarrassing football, arrogance and deceit.

The board panicked and made a massive error in judgement, end of.

Complete and utter tripe. All the old boys club in the media are coming out now to stick up for Allardyce. If he were doing what he's doing here at any of the top 6 clubs though there would be a very different tune being played.

Take no notice.

I don't believe so. We were in trouble but we weren't getting relegated.

I accepted Allardyce coming in to steady the ship but increasingly came to despise the crap footy. I was against the appointment because it obviously was short term and would see us doing the manager search once again.

He's done his job but I can't take anymore of it and he has to go at the end of the season.

..I think we might have gone down had we not changed. Southampton away was as bad as it gets and i’m of the opinion that the win against West Ham at Home was because of Allardyce sitting in the stands. I fear Unsworth had lost it, that moment Joe Royle left his seat in the stand to offer advice at Southampton is an abiding memory.

The question, however, is whether we would have gone down without Allardyce and the answer depends on who else came in. Moshiri might say the Allardyce appointment was a success because we didn’t go down.

Not a chance in hell. It is all complete and utter bollox. After Unsworth won that last game in charge against West Ham i.e the day before Allardyce was appointed, we were 13th in the table and only 2 points off 9th. Table after the West Ham game - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ndings-after-wednesdays-premier-league-scores

We are still only just holding on to bloody 9th now after all of our wannabe saviours negativeness, playing for draws and having just 4 wins in the last 17 games. In other words, he has done feck all except keep us the same as we were before he took over only with far more dire football and arrogant attitudes.

The board panicked and made a massive error in judgement, end of.

It's not 'end of' though is it? Not everyone agrees that Allardyce hasn't improved the dire situation we were in and is as terrible as has been made out.

I have no idea whether we would have gone down, but if we hadn't have appointed him when we did there is a big chance we would have been in a relegation dogfight. It's something we will never know, but equally another manager could have come in and steered us to safety as Allardyce did but i'm still waiting to hear who these people were that were actually realistic targets at that time.

The West Ham game gets used to completely distort the situation at the time. The board 'panicked' BEFORE the West Ham game, that is a fact and can't be denied because if it wasn't accurate then he wouldn't have been sat in the stands during that game would he? Therefore, I prefer to view things before the West Ham game which is when the board made their decision. That was after a run of 5 defeats in 7 under Unsworth, and 9 consecutive games where we conceded 2 goals or more. We had the worst defence in the league after the Southampton game, and Southampton then went 2 months before winning a single league game and appear to be going down now. Going in to that West Ham game we were 17th, 2 points above the drop.

Yes there are other managers who 'could' have done as good or even a better job, but we will never know and therefore, Moshiri in my opinion was justified in going for the sensible option in Allardyce. He came in to guide us to safety and achieved that. I still want him gone though as he has proven he can't take us forward and cannot handle the expectation of being at a club who have far bigger ambitions than he has.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.