Would just releasing a player from their contract have an effect on FFP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We would have to pay their wages until their contract end as it is so probably with a good lawyer even if we did that they'd sue us for wrongful dismissal, emotional torture or whatever else they could think of so will cost us more and then FA , EUFA and FIFA will jump on board and fine us and put transfer ban on us ;-)

My thought would be that our wage bill would automatically drop, but as Tommy said we'd probably have to pay some or all of their remaining money owed in order to release them

I think we could probably do a deal where we pay them x of what they are owed for them to take the release, so we wouldn't have to pay them the full amount and could then start to look and bring new players in due to the wages we'd freed up

That's all just assumptions from my end though

It's my understanding that it's generally considered bad practice from a club to release any player before the end of their contract.

The cost saving for the club would be negligible in the grand scheme of things. It also implies that the player is sufficiently not wanted or their sheer presence is damaging team morale that the club are willing to reach a settlement outside of the contractual agreement.

It's not something that happens very often, generally because it makes the player and club look bad, and nobody really gains a whole lot from it.

If an amount is being paid to the player then it would still be recorded as a player wage. There are certain bonuses I believe that the likes of City have structured into their contracts to navigate around FFP but this wouldn't fall into that category I would think.

Then you have to write off the remaining values of the player's asset value from the accounts too.

From that perspective it makes more sense to loan them for a portion of their wages and follow the amortization schedule to avoid grouping all of the losses in one financial reporting period.

My thought would be that our wage bill would automatically drop, but as Tommy said we'd probably have to pay some or all of their remaining money owed in order to release them

I think we could probably do a deal where we pay them x of what they are owed for them to take the release, so we wouldn't have to pay them the full amount and could then start to look and bring new players in due to the wages we'd freed up

That's all just assumptions from my end though

Google Bobby Bonilla, we could be onto something.

At this point it should be considered to give players like Niasse the princess Diana treatment

Death by "accident"

If we released them, we’d have to pay wages for the life of the contract. Which means we’d bring the waves forward to this year and make a big loss. And the FFP is looked at over 3 years. So the only thing it would help is 3 years from now that loss would fall off. We may as well just wait and get something out of the players while they are there.

Mowing the lawn? Serving dinner? That kind of thing?

That’s a good thread actually. Odd jobs that players do when not playing football.

Tom Davies paints rubbish murals in the toilets.

Just wondering this

Say we just can't for the life of us sell some of these players. If we just release them from their contracts, does that then free us up some wage space when it comes to the FFP regulations, or do the players actually need to be sold?
You’d have to pay up their contracts mate, as they wouldn’t just leave without being paid what they were contractually due.

If they still were showing a value on the balance sheet we’d also have to write that off as part of our annual amortisation costs. e.g. a player signed on a 4 year deal for £10m would still have a value on the balance sheet of £2.5m after 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.