Would just releasing a player from their contract have an effect on FFP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering this

Say we just can't for the life of us sell some of these players. If we just release them from their contracts, does that then free us up some wage space when it comes to the FFP regulations, or do the players actually need to be sold?

Just wondering this

Say we just can't for the life of us sell some of these players. If we just release them from their contracts, does that then free us up some wage space when it comes to the FFP regulations, or do the players actually need to be sold?
That's a good question.

I half remember there being some rule about the annual % increase on player wages being dependent obviously on the previous year's wages. If we paid them off, would this mean our wage bill would drop and we'd not be able to have a big an absolute rise in wages as we would if we had kept them on and paid them normally?

I guess with FFP we might have to get in some lower transfer, higher wage players, so freeing the wages and getting a bigger annual pay increase in this case might be a strategy to pursuit.

Am I even half way to being correct? Or just talking gibberish?

Said players would still want paying up on contracts agreed which would come from yearly accounts, plus loss of valuation of player on books resulting in further losses. Still all show up in the accounts. Still accountable to FFP I'd assume

That's a good question.

I half remember there being some rule about the annual % increase on player wages being dependent obviously on the previous year's wages. If we paid them off, would this mean our wage bill would drop and we'd not be able to have a big an absolute rise in wages as we would if we had kept them on and paid them normally?

I guess with FFP we might have to get in some lower transfer, higher wage players, so freeing the wages and getting a bigger annual pay increase in this case might be a strategy to pursuit.

Am I even half way to being correct? Or just talking gibberish?

My thought would be that our wage bill would automatically drop, but as Tommy said we'd probably have to pay some or all of their remaining money owed in order to release them

I think we could probably do a deal where we pay them x of what they are owed for them to take the release, so we wouldn't have to pay them the full amount and could then start to look and bring new players in due to the wages we'd freed up

That's all just assumptions from my end though

Just wondering this

If we released them, we’d have to pay wages for the life of the contract. Which means we’d bring the waves forward to this year and make a big loss. And the FFP is looked at over 3 years. So the only thing it would help is 3 years from now that loss would fall off. We may as well just wait and get something out of the players while they are there.

My thought would be that our wage bill would automatically drop, but as Tommy said we'd probably have to pay some or all of their remaining money owed in order to release them

I think we could probably do a deal where we pay them x of what they are owed for them to take the release, so we wouldn't have to pay them the full amount and could then start to look and bring new players in due to the wages we'd freed up

That's all just assumptions from my end though
To be honest, if I was in, for example, Cuco's shoes then I'd come in every day and take the money until the last minute and not lose a penny. At this point though, I think some are such a dead loss, that I'd tell them to just not bother coming in and their wage will be there regardless.

No point in making anyone's life a misery by making them come in to a dead end job where they ain't wanted, or having to spend time dealing with them which could be spent on players who are there long term or youngsters who would benefit from some guidance. Let them go find a new club or go to their homelands (if they're an overseas player) for a while if they want.

Just wondering this

For a start, you make a loss of whatever is left of their book value - this would affect FFP

Secondly, no sane player is going to allow you to cancel their contract without paying it off, or at least a very significant part of it. Whatever the club agree to pay would count against us from a FFP perspective, even if it was a lump sum or paid in installments over a number of accounting periods.

They would have to be compensated for their loss of earnings and that would probably be paid in a lump sum.

The overall wage figure would then be reduced going forward but I have no idea if it would be looked at differently from a FFP point of view.

However, we have saved many millions in the last few seasons by being able to get unwanted players out on loan.

I would guess that we are taking a bigger hit on the loss of transfer fees than on wages with a lot of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.