Worst Squad in 12 Years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dymak

Player Valuation: £40m
The midfield is AWFUL. The defence is CRAP. Our strikers are good. Barkley is providing Cahill level goal returns aged 22, he has it and will only get better. Lukaku is our greatest striker in decades, but he clearly doesn't want to be here and will be gone in the summer.

The task facing our new manager is massive. The squad is in disarray and needs a massive overhaul if we actually want to achieve anything.

The point of this thread is that people need to wake up to how bad we are. Deluding yourselves into thinking that we are a gang of phenomenal entertainers is a symptom of Martinez' failed tenure. The squad isn't the greatest in 30 years, it's the poorest in 12 years!

I think that CM is a real weak point but apart from that it's a lot better squad than we're seeing.

I definitely agree about CM being AWFUL. I'm not sure that the defence is all that either, although they are obviously disadvantaged by having Martinez as manager.

I definitely agree about CM being AWFUL. I'm not sure that the defence is all that either, although they are obviously disadvantaged by having Martinez as manager.
I think that the defence will improve greatly without Martinez but McCarthy and Barry will always be an absolutely dreadful midfield combination, with Cleverley thrown in there occasionally for extra crapness.

I think the back four has the potential to be far better but only under a better manager. Our midfield is woeful and we're not great up front, need another striker up there as there really isn't any presence with Lukaku.

The problem isn't the squad, it's the system.

You're seeing what happens when you have a striker who's downed tools and no effective holding midfielder, combined with a team utterly zapped by having what they clearly all can see is a fraud as a manager.

If Martinez had been sacked after that derby, this performance we're seeing today doesn't happen.

I'm not prepared to judge this squads' ability because I firmly believe the impact of such an awful manager on it cannot be understated.

It's a great squad.

That's what makes Martinez's inability to manage it all the more egregious.

It's really not a great squad.

First team is very good (at least we have good individuals - not necessarily a very good team), but a few of them get injured and all of a sudden we're a mess

The midfield is AWFUL. The defence is CRAP. Our strikers are good. Barkley is providing Cahill level goal returns aged 22, he has it and will only get better. Lukaku is our greatest striker in decades, but he clearly doesn't want to be here and will be gone in the summer.

The task facing our new manager is massive. The squad is in disarray and needs a massive overhaul if we actually want to achieve anything.

The point of this thread is that people need to wake up to how bad we are. Deluding yourselves into thinking that we are a gang of phenomenal entertainers is a symptom of Martinez' failed tenure. The squad isn't the greatest in 30 years, it's the poorest in 12 years!

Most overrated bunch of players we've ever had. Mismanagement is only part of the reason, these players are genuinely not as good as we think they are.

Rom excepted. And personally I can't blame him for sounding out a move elsewhere.

It's really not a great squad.

First team is very good, but a few of them get injured and all of a sudden we're a mess
'Great' might be an overstatement, sure. There are gaps. But we have some brilliant players - and Martinez is getting nothing out of them.

The squad is not the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.