Match Thread Wolves v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolves here for the taking same as Newcastle and we've gone into it set up for a draw again.

If Richarlison is 50/50 start him from the off grab a brace and take him off at 60 minutes.

Yeah on reflection he was clearly nowhere near it but he did fine when he came on. Those two fouls he won at the end were vital. But a fully fit and firing Richarlison probably makes it 3-1 with that break.

The point is Davies didn't mean to put it out for a corner. He literally fell over his own feet and kicked the ball against himself.

If he had meant to put it out for a corner, fine, but he didn't. Hence, an error. It's pretty simple.

After that the defending was poor.

Anyway, great win. Gritty performance. Well chuffed. Davies improved in as the game went on.
I'm a results guy. Putting the ball out for a corner when defending a cross is not an error in the way I use the word even if he trips over his own feet and squirts it off the post with his backside.

I've just summoned the courage to look at Match Thread to find the result.
Firstly I look at the MOTM to work out the result.
Deep joy!
Never expected that result with Keane and Iwobi leading.
COYB!

I'm a results guy. Putting the ball out for a corner when defending a cross is not an error in the way I use the word even if he trips over his own feet and squirts it off the post with his backside.

If you are trying one thing and get it completely wrong, you have made a mistake.

How we defended from the corner is not just on Davies. Adding un-needed pressure is on him.

It was a poor cross, he tried to clear it, he completely messed it up.

And yes, if you're under no pressure with time to take a ball under control, then putting a ball out for a set-piece is still unnecessary.

However, I think he sharpened up as the game went on.

If you are trying one thing and get it completely wrong, you have made a mistake.

How we defended from the corner is not just on Davies. Adding un-needed pressure is on him.

It was a poor cross, he tried to clear it, he completely messed it up.

And yes, if you're under no pressure with time to take a ball under control, then putting a ball out for a set-piece is still unnecessary.

However, I think he sharpened up as the game went on.
It's like when Iwobi had that bad pass against Spurs. Yes he screwed up but it didn't require the defenders to all not do their jobs after. Except it was worse today because we were completely set to defend since they took the time to set the corner. I put nothing on Davies in this case.

Iwobi played very well. Gomes did well when he came on and delivered a bit of quality.

James worked really hard and was always dropping in to receive the ball - he just had no runners ahead of him.

Can't have a go at Gylfi, he was basically just in there as a body.

Godfrey was superb again and Digne was brilliant.

Some real positives after fearing the worst.

Got to keep it up now. Assuming Villa goes ahead - which is unlikely - Doucoure will be a big miss. In all honesty, if it gets postponed, it might be a help.

Ruben Neves felt Wolves were unlucky to come away from their Premier League clash with Everton empty handed having been on top for much of the Molineux contest

The Portuguese midfielder had got his side back on level terms with a well-taken strike having falling behind early in the tie, and although he had a free-kick which struck the top of the crossbar before flashing a long-range volley narrowly wide, Neves wasn’t able to inspire his side to a point, as Michael Keane’s header sealed the points for the visitors.

On the defeat against Everton
It’s hard, but that’s football. I think we did enough to win the game, and to at least draw, but this is football.
You need to remain focused in every single second of the game, and again, a long cross and we concede a goal.

On his first open play goal from inside the penalty area
It was my job. I always try to do my best and today, fortunately, I scored the goal, but it doesn’t matter because we didn’t take any points from the game, so we’re really disappointed with the result.
We did enough to get out of here with another result, at least a draw, but they scored a second one in the only chance they had in the second-half.
We’re sad, but let’s improve, and I will try to score more goals, because that’s what’s making the difference at the moment.

On coming close with a free-kick late on
We were unlucky. The ball just skimmed the crossbar, but like I said before, it’s football, it’s about learning and improving.
We’ve been saying that since the beginning but that’s the truth, we need to see the game today, we need to see our mistakes and improve from that.

On injuries taking their toll
As a squad we have a lot of quality, a lot of young boys with a lot of quality, so we always have solutions to replace the injured players.
Of course, we miss them as well, they are more experienced and they help us a lot, but for the young boys it’s all about gaining that experience for the future and improving.

Same here.
Same here...was waiting for a Wolves booking to complete a 40/1 bet on BTTS, Everton to win, 4+ corners each and 20+ booking points each. Semedo got a yellow on 89 and the stream went down. Fannie about for 2-3 Mins trying to get it back with no luck. Then some kid on loan from the Sh1te gets a card on 95 mins

It's like when Iwobi had that bad pass against Spurs. Yes he screwed up but it didn't require the defenders to all not do their jobs after. Except it was worse today because we were completely set to defend since they took the time to set the corner. I put nothing on Davies in this case.

Well we can agree to disagree but you've kind of changed your point.

He made a cock up. It was basic, and he shouldn't do that. We were comfortable and it resulted in a situation from which they could apply some pressure.

However, after that, the team didn't deal with it well.

Ruben Neves felt Wolves were unlucky to come away from their Premier League clash with Everton empty handed having been on top for much of the Molineux contest

The Portuguese midfielder had got his side back on level terms with a well-taken strike having falling behind early in the tie, and although he had a free-kick which struck the top of the crossbar before flashing a long-range volley narrowly wide, Neves wasn’t able to inspire his side to a point, as Michael Keane’s header sealed the points for the visitors.

On the defeat against Everton
It’s hard, but that’s football. I think we did enough to win the game, and to at least draw, but this is football.
You need to remain focused in every single second of the game, and again, a long cross and we concede a goal.

On his first open play goal from inside the penalty area
It was my job. I always try to do my best and today, fortunately, I scored the goal, but it doesn’t matter because we didn’t take any points from the game, so we’re really disappointed with the result.
We did enough to get out of here with another result, at least a draw, but they scored a second one in the only chance they had in the second-half.
We’re sad, but let’s improve, and I will try to score more goals, because that’s what’s making the difference at the moment.

On coming close with a free-kick late on
We were unlucky. The ball just skimmed the crossbar, but like I said before, it’s football, it’s about learning and improving.
We’ve been saying that since the beginning but that’s the truth, we need to see the game today, we need to see our mistakes and improve from that.

On injuries taking their toll
As a squad we have a lot of quality, a lot of young boys with a lot of quality, so we always have solutions to replace the injured players.
Of course, we miss them as well, they are more experienced and they help us a lot, but for the young boys it’s all about gaining that experience for the future and improving.

Imagine Neves in our midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.