With “fans outside Merseyside” being a common insult to the reds, why are the scouser Everton fans thoughts on international Everton fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a blue already, but GOT has further cemented it.
Fans make the club and this has been my way to interact with other blues and have a "match day experience."

Absolutely terrifying to admit, but I fit here.
No you don't, everybody just fancies you RAF

Faith of Our Families ( great book) explains how Irish Evertonians in the 40s and 50s were some of the first to travel over by ferry to see Everton- simply because there were so many Irish in the squad at the time.

The numbers supporting United went up hugely after the Munich tragedy but there were very few travelling to the tin mine until the 70s and 80s from the Republic.

However they also seem to have had a big long term support from the Shankill in Belfast - I was unfortunate enough to have met them after the 0-5 at Goodison in 82 because the P&O was on strike and they were put on the Dublin B&I. Not a nice experience.

Still a good hard core of Evertonians in the Republic but the Kitbag deal meant Everton shirts were not available in Irish sports shops. A bad PR move in my view.

As a WOOL I do sometimes feel like I'm considered somewhat of a lesser fan in comparison to the Scouse Evertonians

It's something I'll have to deal with more the more successful Everton get I fear

how mnay miles outside of Merseyside do you have to be to be considered a WOOL ??

@Groucho

This may be controversial but I dont consider Lineker as an ex-evertonian hes clearly more Leicester tbh. Osman, hardly ever o TV and doesnt count, same with Kilbane really. I agree though about other teams, its all ex liverpool or man utd pundits, far too much bias.

Kilbane is a Blue and very clearly shows that when on the Newstalk sports programme over here.

He is also passionate about Mayo Gaelic Football team - God love him!!

GAA teams rarely have "supporters" living in other counties although as a Dub living in Kilkenny for over 29 years I have met a few admirers of the Dublin football team. Definitely not our hurlers as Kilkenny are fanatical about their hurling teams.

A fair few Blues are scattered around Kilkenny Carlow and Tipperary.

how mnay miles outside of Merseyside do you have to be to be considered a WOOL ??

@Groucho

i'm a fan from the US

i think it's already been said, but the lack of recent success means that to be a fan, you're probably gonna be more than a casual fan, unlike reds "fans"

you see people wear their kits and shirts and merch around NYC and odds are they don't really know too much. as was stated, the reds are a cult (loosely stated) and a brand more than anything else. to don our crest here is not something that is worn for "brand recognition", but is an indicator of genuine team pride in most cases

As a southern toffee my first experience of everton was on a family holiday to see my relatives in Dublin,they had just won the league in the 69 season and saw them play shamrock rovers in a friendly (guess you could say I was a glory hunter),then spent much time and money during my school days following everton at Midlands grounds mostly seeing them lose but a little bit of respite during the Latchford years,later 70,s saw me and my mates learn to drive and a 300 mile trip to watch the blues perform and disappoint too many to mention, including Glen keeley derby,all of a sudden they start winning and we are playing stoke away in a league winning season and some scousers ask us where we are from and accuse us of being glory hunter's, when we quiz them about some of disastrous games we had been to ,they hadn't, I carried on watching the blues up to the martinez era but haven't been since due to other commitments, I guess my point is that you don't have to come from Liverpool to be a true supporter

I'm a complete wool who had absolutely no reason to support Everton other than a random whim. But what I've noticed out here in Wool Country (Ireland), is that if I see a stranger in an Everton jersey, I can approach that stranger and they will be able to talk passionately and knowledgeably about Everton and football. Every time.

If you see a Liverpool or United jersey, you'd be lucky if they even watched football at all, and luckier still not to get shivved in a backalley and your wallet taken.

My lad plays in a very good team in Sussex at U13 level - that won the league this year - and out of the team for the last game of the season 3 of the Dads (and the lads of course ) were Everton fans. I found that to be significant in some way.

I'm a complete wool who had absolutely no reason to support Everton other than a random whim. But what I've noticed out here in Wool Country (Ireland), is that if I see a stranger in an Everton jersey, I can approach that stranger and they will be able to talk passionately and knowledgeably about Everton and football. Every time.

If you see a Liverpool or United jersey, you'd be lucky if they even watched football at all, and luckier still not to get shivved in a backalley and your wallet taken.
What county ya from? Despite the username I'm actually from Carlow.

My mindset has always been that people should support their local team, but then that's easy to say when you happen to have been born in a city with two top division ever-presents. Also, I was at school during the Walter years, and the only possible response to Liverpool's blag treble was to remind the Reds that the Kop is filled with wools.

Status
Not open for further replies.