Winning trophies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't seen us win a trophy. Heck, only seen us win about 3 derbies. In fact, in Canada i support a hockey team who hasn't won anything in 50 years. I guess its a curse. Or a blessing. My grandpa in London- a Hammers fan- said that what defines a football club and its fans isn't the number of trophies they've won, or the total value of players they have, its the heartbreak. It's being so close to something so great, and losing at the end. That's what keeps a club together. That's what makes it feel even better when we do end up breaking our drought.
I'm not gonna brag to my fellow football watchers about constantly finishing 4th for 10 years in a row. I am however gonna be able to tell the RS supporters about us winning an FA Cup.

Football supporters support their team, and enjoy/endure that first and foremost. (Apart from those happy clappy, johnny come lately glory hunting tools that is).

I enjoy being an Everton fan. A trophy is sound, but being a blue is sounder. If that makes sense.
Why can't we have both

If we don't win anything next year I'm packing it all in, had enough.

Yeah, on reflection, me too. Going to pull an almighty strop, demand everything and everyone is sacked, then support Chelsea or Manchester City. Until they dont win one.

article-0-000042BE00000CB2-304_634x424.jpg

everton-1986-87-league-champions-5514301.jpg

943728_0.jpg

kevin-ratcliffe-cup-winners-league-267x300.jpg

everton-win-the-fa-cup-in-1984-50498956.jpg

everton-1970.jpg

I remember all of the above, fourth place is nothing compared to winning something.

Spot on mate, the joy at winning a league title or lifting the cup at Wembley, or that blissful evening in Rotterdam far, far, far outweighs and eclipses finishing 4th and thinking your team has arrived in the big time.

I've never subscribed to football being more about the taking part than the winning. I don't want to take part just to make up the numbers, I want to be winning trophies. But there now seems to be an accepted norm these days that qualifying for the champions league is fantastic (which it undeniably is), but it's almost akin to winning silverware. It's almost as if the financial benefits of finishing 4th and sitting at the top table with the big boys has now become the goal.

I've read discussions on here about people thinking if it's a straight choice between finishing 4th and getting in the CL, or winning the FA Cup and entering the Europa League, they'd take the 4th place finish as that brings participation in a superior European competition. They seem to be forgetting, though, that in the above straight choice, the Europa League comes as a direct result of seeing us lift a trophy at Wembley, which some of the younger fans on here are yet to witness.

So, this got me thinking: is winning trophies still what it's all about? Or are we now happy to settle for the 4th place trophy?
The current and previous regime are happy just to be in the premier league,expectation has been eroded away by lack of investment and lack of vision from board room to managers office,yeah last year we did well but I for one am not convinced Roberto or blue bill expected to be finishing so high up in the league,for me I'd take the fa cup or league cup all day long against finishing forth just to have the same lack of investment to compete in the champions league,our trophy haul and honours are being caught up or overtaken all the time by teams I consider small compared to Everton FC

The whole point is to win stuff, not just to take part.

I must disagree mate. Winning stuff is great, but the fact is, most clubs win jack most seasons. Doesnt make me enjoy a season less, just makes me enjoy those when we do win a pot a whole lot more.

Been a while though.

I must disagree mate. Winning stuff is great, but the fact is, most clubs win jack most seasons. Doesnt make me enjoy a season less, just makes me enjoy those when we do win a pot a whole lot more.

Been a while though.
I suppose what I mean is, if we won something more often, I'd be better prepared to stomach a finish outside Europe sometimes.

We're unusual in that we've experienced success throughout our history rather than all in one go, so this is nothing unusual really.

I'd like even a League Cup win.

Status
Not open for further replies.