Winning the league

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres a lot to be said for having a settled side though with a quality keeper. Having a strong core (steadily improving) and adding just two top players a season i think we have a very good side on paper.

If we can add a top keeper and playmaker to go with the existing players we have a great spine.

Will be a strong side if all goes to plan but it still won't come close to what the UTD's, chelseas and citys can put out .

With the money now available we should be in a strong position to keep players and also FFP prevents teams from spending based on their owners.
Based on this and the next 3 summers if we added 2 players to that group every year of a similar or higher quality then on paper i dont see any team in Europe with more potential.
Maybe we wouldnt win the league but we'd surely be up there in the top 4...
but.... the rest of our league also get the money leaving us exactly where we are now. FFP will be abolished. the really big clubs are either ignoring it or bypassing it and as soon as French Clubs start getting punished for it Platini with get rid of it.

It was only brought in because Platini wanted to put the brakes on English and Spanish clubs to give the French Clubs a chance.

Liverpool almost won it, you just need 1 truly world class player. We obviously cant buy them, but we could potentially develop them.

Stones, Barkley and Lukaku could potentially reach that level and a few others could also become very, very good players. If a few of them come good it wouldn't be out of the realms of possibility.

I always say we can win the league - who in late 1983 thought we'd be league champions 18 months later? No one at all.

*puts sensible hat on...

I think we're at least 20 years away from being capable of winning the league. Realistically, we need a massive investment - not necessarily a Man City style buyout, but a whopping and sustained cash injection to get back to the very very top.

But, as per first sentence, anything is possible.
Lets believe in the romance of football that a team without the money might actually have a chance. We all know it won happen but [Poor language removed] wouldn't it be nice.

In 3 seasons time those players will have an average age of 25 and played together for at least 3 seasons on the spin.

Surely the addition of 3 top players to the group as well as some squad additions puts us with a very strong side?

Baines and Jags in 3 years will have made way for Garbutt and Galloway all going to plan as well.
Too many ifs, personally I think the only chance a team like ours has is if the old hands hang on for one more year while the young guns all peak at the same time. Otherwise we'll more than likely just see them poached.

Liverpool almost won it, you just need 1 truly world class player. We obviously cant buy them, but we could potentially develop them.

Stones, Barkley and Lukaku could potentially reach that level and a few others could also become very, very good players. If a few of them come good it wouldn't be out of the realms of possibility.
That's it exactly. A team like ours can never build to win the league but if our younger players hit that kind of form, like Suarez or Bale before they're poached it's always possible. Even so it would still be a one in a million.

We might have a good young team in 3 years time but that good young team isn't going to defeat a team with players such as Matic, Hazard, Costa etc. who are also relatively young and far superior ability wise.

3 central positions

DM -- McCarthy/Besic
CM-- Barkley/ Cleverley
AM -- Need a playmaker

I'd go the opposite to you and say the DM position is covered but a playmaker is needed as thats the main thing we lack now.

Definitely need a playmaker, someone who will get thier head up and drive forward with the ball. I think that's what we hope Barkley will develop into
As good as McCarthy is, do you think he has the intellegence to play that holding role for a championship challenging side? Barry 10 years younger would be ideal

Too many ifs, personally I think the only chance a team like ours has is if the old hands hang on for one more year while the young guns all peak at the same time. Otherwise we'll more than likely just see them poached.

Moneyball. We just need to keep investing in young players and do everything we can to make sure they fulfil their potential.

but.... the rest of our league also get the money leaving us exactly where we are now. FFP will be abolished. the really big clubs are either ignoring it or bypassing it and as soon as French Clubs start getting punished for it Platini with get rid of it.

It was only brought in because Platini wanted to put the brakes on English and Spanish clubs to give the French Clubs a chance.
people seem to forget this.

Man City won the league just 4 years after receiving massive investment.

Athletico made huge profits in the transfer market which enabled them to invest in a team capable of winning the league.

£$€

Status
Not open for further replies.