Wimbledon 7th May 1994.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetEndBlue

Player Valuation: £10m
Can you believe today marks the 25 anniversary of THAT game against Wimbledon when this club looked deep in the abyss yet somehow escaped.

I'm sure other blues would like to share memories of that truely remarkable day from the Wimbledon team coach being deliberately burnt out during the night, to the type of huge queues to get into the ground we'd not seen at Goodison for a many a year, to Limpar's ridiculous handball plus later dive, to the whipping boy of that time Barry Horne scoring a screamer, to the Liverpool fans doing the conga at Villa Park when we were 0-2 down, to Hans Segers and to the locked out fans who climbed the trees in Stanley Park just to get a glimpse of the action.

25 years ago. Where the hell does time go!!

With a bit more careful planning could've been my first match at the grand old lady ever. Now it was Coventry City two weeks prior and away to Leeds the weekend after.

No English live matches on the telly back then over here, so had to do wit BBC ceefax and final score. As close to a near dead experience I ever came in my life that day.

Can you believe today marks the 25 anniversary of THAT game against Wimbledon when this club looked deep in the abyss yet somehow escaped.

I'm sure other blues would like to share memories of that truely remarkable day from the Wimbledon team coach being deliberately burnt out during the night, to the type of huge queues to get into the ground we'd not seen at Goodison for a many a year, to Limpar's ridiculous handball plus later dive, to the whipping boy of that time Barry Horne scoring a screamer, to the Liverpool fans doing the conga at Villa Park when we were 0-2 down, to Hans Segers and to the locked out fans who climbed the trees in Stanley Park just to get a glimpse of the action.

25 years ago. Where the hell does time go!!
memories of RS behaviour by the looks...best forgotten

horrible horrible day

never been so nervous.

was going through puberty at the time which didn't help

Would've completely changed our recent history if we'd lost that. Scary to think that we could've ended up like Wimbledon ourselves.

The oldest Everton game that I have any real memory of until about 1996 (Don't even remember the Cup Final FFS)

Actually have this one on DVD (Got it along with the 98 game on the "Great Escapes" DVD)

I used to watch it quite a bit because of the scenes at the end (And because during the Moyes era days like this seemed like a bygone era so I could just enjoy it for being an exciting match that Everton somehow won), but I haven't felt like popping it in during the past couple of seasons due to how awful we've generally been. No need to relive the dark days if there's a chance you could sink back into them eh?

During 14-15 and last season especially this game felt particularly poignant in my mind

I think our big problem that 93/94 season was that we didn't commit to the relegation fight until we were well into it, which meant we approached it in effect with a standing start. Even the atmosphere in the first half of this game wasn't what it needed to be. However, the crowd were where they needed to be in that second half and made the difference I think. You have to attack relegation with everything you have, it's the only way. Complacency will destroy you. Accepting you're in the fight as early as you can is the key, because that gives you maximum time to fix it. We didn't do that in 93/94 and it almost cost us. Thankfully we learned our lesson for the next season and got Joe in soon enough for him to do something about the situation

Last edited:
I wasn't yet a year old. So I don't remember it.

But suffice to say things might have been very different if we'd not turned that game around. I dread to think where we'd be now.

I was nervous as hell. I remember my dad telling me to calm down when we were 2-0 down!! He'd seen us relegated before so I suppose it wasn't as big a deal to him. Difference being, I'm not convinced we'd have come back up, you only have to look at Sheffield Wednesday to see how a massive club can struggle once they get relegated.

Remember being in the queue to get tickets and a group of disgruntled scallies walked past cursing the amount of people.

'Itll be people like tommo and radge who never go' one said to the group with a venom I've never seen matched.

Anyway got my ticket and went in. Never felt that nervous for some reason....of course we weren't going down, we're Everton, being in the top flight is our thing.

Vinny Jones playing like a mouse and the lids in the trees. Then the goals and hugging strangers, wonder if any of them were tommo and radge.

Pitch invasion but no souvenir turf like in 98.

Terrible day, browsed the “Liverpool Echo” earlier and saw a piece by Dave Prentice on it, I wish he hadn’t to be honest. In some ways I believe that period and Coventry 98 have affected the mindset of some Blues to this day.

When the final whistle blew, a complete stranger started crying his eyes out and gripped me in a massive bear hug! All around me people were delirious with joy, but I just felt sick to my stomach! Threw my ring up when I got out of the ground, never ever want that repeating!

Status
Not open for further replies.