Homepage Update: Will Goodison be sold out next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyC

Staff member
AndyC submitted an update to GrandOldTeam's homepage

Will Goodison be sold out next season?
box-office.jpg

Last Saturday’s Everton matchday programme saw a double-page spread reminding Season Ticket members this season that they have till April 6th to renew for next season. There were numerous adverts to the same effect flashed up on the two giant TV screens throughout the game against Brighton.

Many supporters, myself included, have already renewed for Season 18/19, but there are some who haven’t yet taken the plunge, and the question is why?

Simple answers include disappointment in the level of performance throughout the current season, disappointment and disillusionment with some of this seasons transfer activity, and a general disappointment in the way the club operates and far too often, fails to communicate professionally and coherently.

But there is one massive over-riding factor in the delay in renewing of many current season ticket members – they want an answer as to who will be manager of Everton Football Club for the 18/19 season.

Sam Allardyce was appointed on an eighteen-month contract but in recent weeks, particularly after quite frankly shameful losses away at both Watford and Burnley, never mind the shellackings by Tottenham and Arsenal, his seeing out that contract has looked increasingly doubtful.

Prior to the Brighton game in a nearby cafe and again when in my Main Stand seat, I overheard a number of conversations with an unerringly familiar theme, “If he’s still here next season, I’m not renewing my ST”.

There are some Blues who would question this thinking as the club is so much bigger than any individual – if you’re an Evertonian, then you support the club through thick and thin.

But these weren’t the comments of youngsters who, rightly or wrongly, maybe could be accused of a lack of patience or a sense of entitlement, these were comments from older, seasoned, battle-hardened Evertonians.

Evertonians who have seen the highs and endured the lows, have supported the club through the thick and thin.

Evertonians who remember the 62/63 League Championship team and the never-to-be-forgotten, come-from-behind, Eddie Kavanagh racing across the pitch, Mike Trebilcock, 1966 FA Cup victory…

eddie-kavanagh.jpg

Evertonians who remember the 69/70 championship team that included the incomparable Holy Trinity of Harvey, Kendall and Ball…

1970-champions.jpg

Evertonians who saw the decline of the late 1970s and early 1980s before the glorious re-birth of the Blues under Howard Kendall that saw the FA Cup, the European Cup Winners Cup, two League Championships and four Charity Shields paraded around Goodison…

1980s.jpg

Evertonians who suffered another eight year gap before Joe Royle led his ‘Dogs of War’ side to FA Cup glory over Manchester United…
1995.jpg

Evertonians who have endured well over twenty years of trophyless football since that Paul Rideout header hit the Wembley netting.

Through all these times and there were many with the club dicing with genuine relegation fears and final day escapes, Evertonians kept the faith, sometimes blind faith.

Now though, that faith is being severely tested.

Even before the much-travelled and never relegated Allardyce was appointed, with the club teetering on the brink of the bottom three, the vast majority of Evertonians were steadfastly against the idea of the him taking charge of the club.

Negative, dour, long-ball, hoof-ball, boring, mind-numbing, anti-football - were just some of the labels bandied around about how he might end up having Everton play.

The immediate results said otherwise, but since the December 30th loss at Bournemouth, Everton’s form has, to be generous, been patchy at best.

Evertonians wavering in their commitment to the 18/19 season might also suggest that Sam Allardyce is the very essence of anti-Everton with his style of football.

Since the 1960’s, Everton have won fifteen trophies, four League Titles, three FA Cups, one European Cup Winners Cup and seven Charity Shields and all under managers who had formerly played for the club – Harry Catterick, Howard Kendall, Colin Harvey and Joe Royle – men steeped in the traditions of and graduates from the School of Science.

As a player, Sam Allardyce was more agricultural than cultured and despite the brief period when his Bolton team that contained the likes of Jay-Jay Okocha and Djorkaeff, rubbed shoulders with the higher echelons, his entire managerial career has been about survival ‘glory’ rather than trophy glory.

Coaching and managing a football club in the way Evertonians want to see Everton coached, managed and playing simply isn’t in his nature, his skillset, his DNA.

So with less than four weeks to go before the renewal deadline expires, what can Everton do to secure the commitment of wavering fans?

Should the club be outrageously bold and do as is sometimes done in other sports… announce right now that Sam Allardyce will not be manager of Everton Football Club beyond the final game of the 17/18 season and that a new manager will be appointed at the earliest possible date.

Of course, before such an announcement could be made, the club would need to be in advanced if not totally agreed negotiations with a suitable successor, and right now, there are names many Blues would be delighted to be linked with.

Paulo Fonseca of Shaktar Donetsk is one of the brighter, younger managers in Europe, Thomas Tuchel, Diego Simeone, even Carlo Ancelotti are all names that would be infinitely more popular and respected than the dour, gum-chewing Allardyce.

Allardyce might be peeved to learn his tenure were to be cut short, but it’s unlikely he’d be shaken to his core were such an announcement to be made. He’s been in the game long enough to know that if results aren’t right or you haven’t got the full support of the players, fans and board, then you might as well pack your bags and take the settlement package when offered.

What the wavering ST members don’t know, as none of us knows, is what the thinking is within the club. Has the board or the major shareholder made any decision on who will manage the club for next season?

Can they afford to leave Allardyce in situ and hope to ride out the storm that would surely ensue?

I guess the biggest question for the Board is do they honestly, unequivocally believe that Sam Allardyce is the man to determine the summer transfer activity, the man to lead Everton into the 18/19 season and more importantly, do they unequivocally believe he’s the manager who could win a trophy next season or at least secure qualification for European football for the 19/20 season?

If the answer to these questions is anything other than an immediate, unhesitating and deafening shout of Yes, then the club needs to get on with identifying a short list of the very highest calibre alternatives, get on with talking to them and get on with making the appointment in good enough time to give the new man every opportunity to prepare fully for season 18/19… and get on with communicating these decisions to the fans, out of respect for their loyalty if not their hard-earned season ticket money.

None of this is likely to happen before the April 6th deadline date, but if there was some serious activity and acknowledgement of a problem being addressed, then a potential shortfall in season ticket renewals could be averted, and a whole new wave of optimism launched.

Originally published on my blog, andycostigan.wordpress.com

Last edited:
Everton fans are some of the best in the world, I won’t say the best because that would be insulting to other great supporters.
So you can bet your bottom dollar that it will be full.
The winds of change are about to blow at senior level and again we will hope.

The problem now is the money that's pumped into the premier league. Years ago gate receipts were regarded as good income so the average fans had a voice, if they didn't like what they saw they stopped going so the club took a hit and they were then forced into doing something about it. With the money pumped in through tv deals etc the gate receipts probably dont make much difference giving the fans no voice at all. People don't renew and the club just call the next person on the waiting list so I dont think the board are particularly Arsed if people don't renew.
Me personally I don't live in Liverpool anymore but I still try and get to 6 games a year which cost me more than double what a season ticket costs. I'm never going to stop doing that regardless who is in charge. For me you just can't beat going to goodison, I'm not going to let manager choices ruin that for me, plus I now take my boy with me and he loves it.
I'm not advocated allardyce here either because he needs to go sooner rather than later.

As at this moment in time I am not renewing mine. That may change if Allardyce goes but I doubt that will happen before the deadline so I would likely lise my seat.

My dispute is with the club. Allardyce is just another symptom but was the final straw.

I want to see Mosh take full control and get his own people on the boatd. I want Walsh out and the management team. I want to see a progressive manager brought in that would take full advantage of our excellent academy and supplement it with new players to bring a dynamic entertaining style of play that will hopefully also bring long awsited success. I want to see us strike proper commercial deals rather than the jokers we have at the moment. In short I want the footballing side of our great club to stand as tall as the Community side.

Guess I wont be going back to Goodison any time soon.

Great article
I travel over to Goodison 5/6 times a season on a friend of my late dads season ticket
I go with his son.
I’ve put my name on the waiting list for a season ticket as I will be in a position financially from next season on to trsvel over more
I hold little hope of getting a season ticket
However I hope by having my name on the list I will get a ST for BMD
I would say a lot of ST holders are in the same boat.
The promise of a seat in BMD on the banks of the royal blue Mersey will see all ST sold next season
If you own the season ticket and Everton are playing at home ,the pull of the club will make you attend , or if not a friend or family member will use it.
I’ve already told the lad I go to the match with that if I get a season ticket for BMD then the ticket is his for any game I don’t get to and he’s thrilled
His son goes every home game and his grandson is 10 and wants to go every week as well , so that 4 generations going to the game

To answer the question in the thread title, yes, yes it will. ( To be honest, I didn't actually read the article, great pics though Chico )

For every person saying they won't come next season if Allardyce is in charge, there are likely to be twice as many people who'd love to take their place

Yeah, Goodison will undoubtedly be full every match.

If it was as big as Old Trafford, though, I doubt it would be full. Especially not with Big Sam in charge.

I'm just about to renew mine. First time I've had a ST since Moyes first half season. Say what you want about the football, you simply cannot complain about the basic level of entertainment this season has provided - Ashley Williams fighting everyone, Schneiderlin booed as he comes on the pitch, a goal scored from the half way line, loads of pens, the zero to hero story of Oumar Niasse, Cuco Martina, Rooney transforming into a decent midfielder, the return of Seamus Coleman running the length of the pitch against Leicester, Sam Allardyce and Sammy Lee on the touchline - soap opera and movie writers would have struggled to come up with this as a plot.

We've had our best spell of the season under Allardyce haven't we? Don't get me wrong I don't like him, it upsets me still that he's our manager and he's a horrible smug fat headed get, but we've done okay since he's come in, certainly creating more chances now than we were earlier in the season, and his signings have undeniably made a positive impact.

As at this moment in time I am not renewing mine. That may change if Allardyce goes but I doubt that will happen before the deadline so I would likely lise my seat.

My dispute is with the club. Allardyce is just another symptom but was the final straw.

I want to see Mosh take full control and get his own people on the boatd. I want Walsh out and the management team. I want to see a progressive manager brought in that would take full advantage of our excellent academy and supplement it with new players to bring a dynamic entertaining style of play that will hopefully also bring long awsited success. I want to see us strike proper commercial deals rather than the jokers we have at the moment. In short I want the footballing side of our great club to stand as tall as the Community side.

Guess I wont be going back to Goodison any time soon.

Big mistake man, hope you won't regret that.

It will be full but the question should be should it?

I guess that answer depends on what happens in the summer.

If allardyce was still here and we limp to the end of the season then I imagine goodison won't be 'sold out' in the same sense that it was back in August.

You can get people to the game because they are proper fans but how many are there out of loyalty, because that's just what they do. I mean how many people have renewed because of that reason alone? You can't honestly say any of them have looked at the club and thought 'I want to keep watching that'.

It's the enthusiasm that you need more than anything. What's the point in selling the ground out if the fans are stone cold silent and grumbling at everything? That isn't good for the team half as much as only 20k enthusiastic fans. That's what the club need to get right this summer, not just the manager but the players too. If come August we have a much better balanced looking team with players we can actually get behind then the sold out stadium suddenly goes from being meanginless to significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.