Will Everton grow further as a club and Manchester United meeting their downfall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, Manchester United, will they get asset stripped and their oversized Old Trafford stadium capacity reduced by appromixately 20,000-25,000 if it means Everton moving from a 35,000 seater to a 61,000 seater and a possibility of winning the league title?

Manchester United were relegated in 1974 and brought the game into disrepute by invading the pitch before the game had finished, they were then promoted in 1975, lost the 1976 and 1979 FA Cup finals and missed out on the title in 1980. Everton were successful up until 1989, and a series of cup runs between 1995-2009. Throughout the 1970s and 1980s, Manchester United failed to make the top 10 in consecutive seasons, whereas Everton were more consistent and over the 30 years I have followed football both have been in the top 10 for much of the last decade (2008-2010s).

Manchester United got to 7 or 8 FA Cup finals in 23 years, whereas Everton got to 3 FA Cup finals in 4 years during 1985-1989, and from 1990 onwards Alex Ferguson was lucky at Manchester United considering how poorly he did during 1986-1990 when he won nothing and how Manchester United became perennial overachievers with a bigger stadium than everyone else (Liverpool have caught up with Manchester United with expanding their stadium over 50,000, who are both the same size except 1 of them having a better domestic record and the other a better european record) and with football being a tough cut-throat business. Yes, I remember the 1995 Everton FA Cup final win which was shocking, as Manchester United weren't expected to lose. One of the similaries between Everton and Manchester United is attacking football (in the 1980s) and youth development.

The real question is whether Manchester United will ever get to a level where they are a mid-table side like 1990s and 2000s Everton in a smaller sized stadium and Everton now getting to a level where they are a top 4 side?

I think you're overly obsessed with United mate. The bit I've bolded is either bonkers, doesn't make sense at all or I've developed some sort of reading impediment. United have built up a worldwide corporate machine, and, in my lifetime anyway, whatever Everton does ain't going to affect that.

If I were you, I'd stop fretting about United,concentrate on us, and, if we start to become more successful ,just enjoy it. Life's way too short to worry about what Utd do, I should know, I live with a Manc !

Manchester United is one of the biggest clubs in the world with I'm sure a great "disaster plan." Not a chance they will go into any sort of downfall. We may surpass them in the table from time to time, and win a few trophies over them in the future. But make no mistake, they're still giants.

Just because we may finish above them in the coming seasons it doesn't mean they're going down as a club.

Liverpool have caught up with Manchester United with expanding their stadium over 50,000.

Huh? At 54,000, Anfield is only about the same size as Newcastle United's ground and is smaller than Man City's ground, Arsenal's ground, West Ham's ground, Tottenham's new ground and Chelsea's new ground. And it's 20-odd thousand short of matching Old Trafford.

Strangest OP for ages, and lets face it, we have had a few contenders.

Interesting to see the serial relegation fodder now over achieving with CL, PL, Fa Cup and heaven knows what else.

That Fergie bloke was just dead lucky I guess.

????????

Do you mean in just the Everton forum?

Otherwise, I can help with some suggestions.

On topic..... actually what is the topic?

Chris - it's great to see you participating on the forum but, respectfully, l suggest you gradually wean your way in rather than introduce yourself with an over obsessed topic about ifs, whats and/or maybes. Some valid points made although the construction did make understanding a little difficult at times. Don't give up but keep it simple.

Why on earth would Utd downsize the stadium, are the fan base suddenly going to dwindle? A lot of words about nothing in particular this, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.