Will Everton grow further as a club and Manchester United meeting their downfall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens if Man Utd are caught cheating on football with water polo? How would that change things? What tenuous link to Everton could I make?

Kind of disagree. Arsenal along with Spurs and Chelsea part of the elite establishment and will remain so for the foreseeable.
The London effect will always prevail.
Well I don't mean they're heading for mid table obscurity, but I can see them finishing outside the top 4 this season and next at the least, which would certainly be a downward trend for them.

Don't really get this. Manchester United are a financial behemoth. A huge global brand like Nike or Adidas. We are Dunlop in comparison.

That is unlikely to change anytime soon.

I think United will start winning premier leagues again as long as they keep Mourinho. He is still the best around by a country mile. They just won't do it playing the brilliant football they once did.

Everton, I'm still optimistic that we will become a force again and I'm hopeful we too will be champions in the not too distant future.
New stadium on the docks, a team that plays with the pride of wearing that blue shirt and at least a chance of silverware would be fantastic.
One things for sure, we'll always be the class club on Merseyside.

I'm fairly new to this forum and sometimes wonder what sort of future Everton and Manchester United may have.

The things I understand regarding Everton and Manchester United are as follows:-

1) That Everton are 1 of the top 4 North West clubs. The other 3 are Liverpool, Manchester United and Manchester City.

2) Manchester United had a golden period under Alex Ferguson during 1986-2013, and both Everton and Manchester United had success throughout the 1960s-1989, but the Glazer takeover at Manchester United has been a problem from Manchester United's perspective and it will be interesting where they'll be in 2026 (13 years after Ferguson's titles and retirement). Alex Ferguson was partly responsible for the Glazer takeover, where in 2003 he went to court and took legal action against major shareholders John Magnier and JP McManus over the racehorse Rock Of Gibraltar. Roy Keane was right about this, and, he advised Alex Ferguson to back down in it.

3) On the other hand, Tottenham Hotspur - Similarities to Everton in Liverpool where both of these have Blue and White in their club's colours, and a lack of investment and major youth development for potential growth and challenging for honours (League Title, FA Cup, League Cup, UEFA Cup or European Cup) up until recently in the 2010s, and Tottenham Hotspur have Mauricio Pochettino and possibly growing as a club when they move to the new White Hart Lane in 2018 at the very latest.

In 15-20 years time, can Everton also realistically grow as a club, what with the new Bramley Moore Dock stadium built by 2022?

Also, Manchester United, will they get asset stripped and their oversized Old Trafford stadium capacity reduced by appromixately 20,000-25,000 if it means Everton moving from a 35,000 seater to a 61,000 seater and a possibility of winning the league title?

Manchester United were relegated in 1974 and brought the game into disrepute by invading the pitch before the game had finished, they were then promoted in 1975, lost the 1976 and 1979 FA Cup finals and missed out on the title in 1980. Everton were successful up until 1989, and a series of cup runs between 1995-2009. Throughout the 1970s and 1980s, Manchester United failed to make the top 10 in consecutive seasons, whereas Everton were more consistent and over the 30 years I have followed football both have been in the top 10 for much of the last decade (2008-2010s).

Manchester United got to 7 or 8 FA Cup finals in 23 years, whereas Everton got to 3 FA Cup finals in 4 years during 1985-1989, and from 1990 onwards Alex Ferguson was lucky at Manchester United considering how poorly he did during 1986-1990 when he won nothing and how Manchester United became perennial overachievers with a bigger stadium than everyone else (Liverpool have caught up with Manchester United with expanding their stadium over 50,000, who are both the same size except 1 of them having a better domestic record and the other a better european record) and with football being a tough cut-throat business. Yes, I remember the 1995 Everton FA Cup final win which was shocking, as Manchester United weren't expected to lose. One of the similaries between Everton and Manchester United is attacking football (in the 1980s) and youth development.

The real question is whether Manchester United will ever get to a level where they are a mid-table side like 1990s and 2000s Everton in a smaller sized stadium and Everton now getting to a level where they are a top 4 side?

Based on what I see something has changed under successive owners or managers even since youth development came to fruition and a decent foreign manager in Ronald Koeman was hired.

Bill Kenwright has done much to change the playing side - He's given us a team/squad we can be proud of.

Under these owners, this season is an opportunity that him and the astute Koeman have spectacularly done well. Seasons of success and further growth after the new stadium by 2022
Hi Bill!!

Everton are on the up !

Couldn't give a flying one about Man United!

I agree and they will think the same about us. But we need to change how we're perceived by those clubs and hopefully over the next 5 years, clubs like Man United will see us as a sort of rival to their status as one of the elite clubs.

A rivalry that has been non existent since the 1980's.

I agree and they will think the same about us. But we need to change how we're perceived by those clubs and hopefully over the next 5 years, clubs like Man United will see us as a sort of rival to their status as one of the elite clubs.

A rivalry that has been non existent since the 1980's.

I'd rather take it that bit further mate and say that in 5 years time the likes of Man Utd and the rest of them will be aspiring to be as good as us ;)

Got to have hope:)

United are minted and a huge global brand, they are going nowhere

Everton are Everton so absolutely anything could happen

Status
Not open for further replies.