Why are we so good away and average at home ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't expect too many more away wins this season,we still have to go to United, City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea,games we just don't win traditionally. Our most away victories in the prem is 9,we currently have 7.
We don't traditionally win at Leeds either. No reason at all why we can't win at Anfield, Old Trafford or anywhere else this season. 'Home advantage' is a misnomer in this weird season.

Not at all. If the fans have such an effect on the away team, then why can't they have the same effect on home players? The fact that there are more away wins than home clearly indicates that fans do have an effect, and it would be extremely naïve to think that it would only be on the away team, or only a positive effect on the home team. Pretty sure most of us would perform worse at work if we had 35000 people screaming and shouting abuse at us! And I can't speak for the Home crowd as I don't get to Goodison, but at the aways I've been to the fans are equally, if not more, easy to set off booing as cheering.
but surely they have proven beyond doubt they're just as crap with no fans, that's my point. Not saying fans don't have an influence because I agree they do act like a help or hinderance. Just on about from the start of games if the players don't start a tempo, they can't blame the crowd, if that makes sense.

Think no fans somewhat plays a part yeah. However, I also think we suit sitting off and playing as the away team by default. When we're at home there's more onus on us to come out and attack, we lose our defensive solidity. Without Allan, we're just so vulnerable and it leaves us way more open than how we'd be away. James and Digne need the extra cover that Allan can offer along with Doucoure. I know we should rely so much on one player but I have a feeling when Allan is back our home form will improve.

I know it’s a weird season but does having no fans mean in the ground really make a difference?

We were told that the fume at Goodson put pressure on the team so with no fans why are we getting beat by Newcastle and West Ham and beating the likes of Leicester and Leeds away ?
1) No fans
2) Psychological. Normal daily routine for home games makes it feel almost like another training day. Preparation and trip for away games builds camaraderie and morale leading into the game
3) As a team we are more successful playing deep and counter attacking. At home, against so called "weaker opposition" we move away from that mantra and come unstuck.

I know it’s a weird season but does having no fans mean in the ground really make a difference?

We were told that the fume at Goodson put pressure on the team so with no fans why are we getting beat by Newcastle and West Ham and beating the likes of Leicester and Leeds away ?
Many teams still park the bus 'Away' and we struggle with that.
Sometimes we just struggle.

but surely they have proven beyond doubt they're just as crap with no fans, that's my point. Not saying fans don't have an influence because I agree they do act like a help or hinderance. Just on about from the start of games if the players don't start a tempo, they can't blame the crowd, if that makes sense.
Some players are just crap, some are good one game, crap the next, or even within the space of one game. Some fans also have no objectivity when it comes to (certain) players. With how inconsistent the whole team has been, and my inability to remember anything after about a week, I think it's difficult to say conclusively whether some players are any better or worse overall than they were before. To really see you'd have to go back and objectively judge performances with/without.

As for blaming the crowd etc, we like to call ourselves fans, or as I prefer, supporters. You don't need support when things are going well, you need it when things are going badly. Not that they should be exempt from criticism, especially if the effort is not there, but the overall feel should be one of encouragement and positivity, not the opposite.

Some players are just crap, some are good one game, crap the next, or even within the space of one game. Some fans also have no objectivity when it comes to (certain) players. With how inconsistent the whole team has been, and my inability to remember anything after about a week, I think it's difficult to say conclusively whether some players are any better or worse overall than they were before. To really see you'd have to go back and objectively judge performances with/without.

As for blaming the crowd etc, we like to call ourselves fans, or as I prefer, supporters. You don't need support when things are going well, you need it when things are going badly. Not that they should be exempt from criticism, especially if the effort is not there, but the overall feel should be one of encouragement and positivity, not the opposite.
It certainly helps if the atmosphere isn't toxic but I like to think of football teams and fans as a kind of symbiotic relationship(metaphor) feed off each other. Players looking half arsed is what has been the main problem for a lot of years. Nothing worse than coming away from a game thinking they didn't even put the required effort in.

It certainly helps if the atmosphere isn't toxic but I like to think of football teams and fans as a kind of symbiotic relationship(metaphor) feed off each other. Players looking half arsed is what has been the main problem for a lot of years. Nothing worse than coming away from a game thinking they didn't even put the required effort in.
Yeah, the one unforgiveable thing for me is lack of effort. Everyone can, and should, be putting that in. The rest you hope for, but effort is a requirement.

I still think the 'home mentality' plays into all clubs intrinsically, with or without fans.

The onus tends to be on the home team to set the tempo and generally be a bit more expansive than the away team. It's played into our hands somewhat in the way we've generally set up in these away games, and without the encouragement of the home fans behind them I cite that as part of the reason why the results have been the way they are.

The last two home games we won were Chelsea and Arsenal - both were games where we were last allowed to have fans in the stadium. Coincidence?

Many teams still park the bus 'Away' and we struggle with that.
Sometimes we just struggle.

your last point is probably right.

We lost to Man U at home and they hardly park the bus and the scum also put pressure on us at home rather than playing on the counter.

I’m inclined to think attitude plays a role and we don’t seem to impose ourselves on the lesser teams at home.

No fans at the Ground's has made no different home or away to me, as how can you win away with no fans but not win home with no fans
weird thing is if we would have beat Newcastle last saturday only a few teams would have won more home games than us at that point that been Man City and Liverpool, while only man utd and Leicester have better away record than us

your last point is probably right.

We lost to Man U at home and they hardly park the bus and the scum also put pressure on us at home rather than playing on the counter.

I’m inclined to think attitude plays a role and we don’t seem to impose ourselves on the lesser teams at home.
You have to win the fightball, to then play your football

I don't understand how we are where we are this season, it's a bit of an enigma, same as the away wins. We're bottom 4 for clean sheets and 10th for goals scored yet in 6th with 2 games in hand that could take us to 4th above Liverpool assuming we take all 6pts. Baffling. If we sort out the home form and keep a few more clean sheets we could scrape top 4

Status
Not open for further replies.