Who's the greatest of them all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best players I've seen in an Everton shirt have been Arteta and Big Dunc, damn being young... Kanchelskis was within my life time but I was like 3 so I don't think I can have that.

All the really great players have an arrogance to them, and big Nev was as cocky as they came.
The Holland v Wales game mentioned finished 1-0 if memory serves, after Van Basten, Gullit and co had spent most of the match trying to beat him. This was when Gullit said Southall was the best in the world. He was dead right.

My father stands by the decision that Alan Ball was the greatest player to stick on an Everton shirt.

As an 18 year old I can only speak from the late 1990s, so I don't have much to pick from!

I would have to say in my eyes the squad of the 2007/2008 season has to be the best I've seen, so the best player that season was Mikel Arteta.

So Mikel Arteta it is.

------------------------------------------ Yakubu ------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------- Cahill -------------------------------------------
---- Pienaar ---------------- Arteta -------------------------- Carsley ------------- Osman --
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---- Lescott ---------------- Stubbs ------------------------- Jagielka ------------- Neville --
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------- Howard ------------------------------------------

Bench:

Wessels
Baines
Yobo
Hibbert
Gosling
van der Meyde
Johnson
Anichebe

My father stands by the decision that Alan Ball was the greatest player to stick on an Everton shirt.

As an 18 year old I can only speak from the late 1990s, so I don't have much to pick from!

I would have to say in my eyes the squad of the 2007/2008 season has to be the best I've seen, so the best player that season was Mikel Arteta.

So Mikel Arteta it is.

My Dad says exactly the same thing mate.

You know little Limpar could play. He had a trick or two and when the mood took him he was as much of a handful as anyone around.

You know little Limpar could play. He had a trick or two and when the mood took him he was as much of a handful as anyone around.

He was incredible sometimes Limpar. Royle never really trusted him though, he'd forget to track back or drift out of games but every match he'd do a trick or play a pass that was worth the price of admission for that alone.
I was particularly amused when Royle stated that Limpar had as much ability as Platini and then promptly dropped him for the next game.

I miss those days.

He was incredible sometimes Limpar. Royle never really trusted him though, he'd forget to track back or drift out of games but every match he'd do a trick or play a pass that was worth the price of admission for that alone.
I was particularly amused when Royle stated that Limpar had as much ability as Platini and then promptly dropped him for the next game.

I miss those days.

I was always disappointed when he wasn't playing. He had his faults as you say and Joe was a sergeant major but for pure skill with ball at feet he was top half dozen in the league at the time and that is a fact.

I was always disappointed when he wasn't playing. He had his faults as you say and Joe was a sergeant major but for pure skill with ball at feet he was top half dozen in the league at the time and that is a fact.

He'd walk into our side now. Not that Moyles would play him.

Without a doubt Alan Ball was the greatest player I've ever seen , One of the few who've played for us who you could label as true 'World Class' , along with Nev Southall . I never had the pleasure of seeing Alex Young play in the flesh and of course Dixie and Lawton who could be given that label .
Getting nostalgic now :)

I was privileged to watch Big Nev. I wonder if we will ever see someone again in Royal Blue who is the best in the world in their position?

Nev for sure.

We've had some great names at Goodison though, I just wish Kanchelskis had stayed longer. He would have ripped it up with a few key additions around him.

Nev for sure.

We've had some great names at Goodison though, I just wish Kanchelskis had stayed longer. He would have ripped it up with a few key additions around him.

That season when he scored about 20 he was unstoppable. He ran past jeff kenna so many times at ewood park I thought he was going to cry. And he always scored in derbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.