Who's next after Benitez - Poll reset 25th Jan

Who's next from this list ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
No you should not ask me again

You should ask yourself why he’s the most popular choice here, and reflect on the fact that you may not have a monopoly on knowledge of managers.

A bit like Dumfries in the summer ?

You know, that donkey.

Looking at his stats I don't understand why he was sacked. Was he just on a bad run?

56% win rate and only 16 losses from 74 games. I'd give a kidney for them stats for our manager.

Ive gone into it before on here...you can search the thread for a longer response but short version:

-- Rejected for job at Salzburg when he was assistant manager

--Didnt get out of world cup group while managing Croatia + sacked after being dismantled by Norway.

-- Fell out with both the players and the Directors at Bayern while making some truly bizarre decisions.

-- His Monaco squad this season was really strong. Highly promising young players have regressed and big money signings have flopped.

I do think he'd save us from relegation though as all 3 of those clubs hes managed theres been an initial strong improvement.

Though my view is that hes similar to Benitez and we'll be back to square one in 12months.

Don’t engage with him mate

He thinks he had some kind of edgy insider knowledge of the game when he doesn’t

Had you even heard of him before a couple of weeks ago ?

As it stands right now, I'd definitely rather have Lampard than Pereira.

I'm massively unsure on Kovac, as I've already discussed in this thread. I do think he might give us an initial boost but I think in 18 months time we'd be looking for a new manager. I think if that's the case we should go for Favre with the point of it being a short-term appointment with a manager who is better than any of the others listed.

I won't be fully sold on any manager pick like but that is where we are, I can get behind it if I see a plan that is going to be workable (Pereira for six months isn't, IMO).

The more I think about it, the more i'm certain it's going to be Lampard for the following reasons:

Moshiri will look at what happened at Chelsea and would probably be happy with the same here, Frank comes in for 18 months, steadies the ship and then replaced with a 'hollywood' manager in Tuchel. Taking Chelsea to the next level, in Moshiri's head he's probably going to attempt the same
  • Lampard promoted a lot of youth in a difficult season for Chelsea
  • Made some very decent buys when the transfer ban ended
  • And worst case scenario, If we go down he's got Championship experience
  • Moshiri's mate Abramovich will be reccomending him for the job
I think the way lampard handled that first season with Chelsea, and the youth he bought through and even managed to get champions league football, would certainly make me happy with his appointment if he was chosen. Wether he’d be my first choice or not I actually don’t know.

A bit like Dumfries in the summer ?

You know, that donkey.

Ive gone into it before on here...you can search the thread for a longer response but short version:

-- Rejected for job at Salzburg when he was assistant manager

--Didnt get out of world cup group while managing Croatia + sacked after being dismantled by Norway.

-- Fell out with both the players and the Directors at Bayern while making some truly bizarre decisions.

-- His Monaco squad this season was really strong. Highly promising young players have regressed and big money signings have flopped.

I do think he'd save us from relegation though as all 3 of those clubs hes managed theres been an initial strong improvement.

Though my view is that hes similar to Benitez and we'll be back to square one in 12months.

Had you even heard of him before a couple of weeks ago ?

Nice summary Zatman. It's about where I am at with Kovac. I'm happy to admit I didn't keep up with his time at Monaco, though.

The fact they seemingly didn't have anyone in mind when Benitez has been struggling for months speaks to the total dysfunction at every level. Watford sack their manager and Roy is in the next day, Villa sack there's five days later Stevie G is in place. Over a week later we have rumour and counter rumour.

comes to the board again mate. ran by amateurs

Yeah that's pretty much exactly what i've been saying. His record is neither good nor bad to be honest, it's just very beige, which is why I can't really see why some people are so sure he'd be a good appointment. There's a dearth of decent links so I can understand people shrugging and saying he looks as good as anyone, i'm just talking about the people who are right on the bandwagon, i'm not sure what they're seeing that i'm not.

Couple of things for me mate, he didn't just do the following, jump st the first job offered like a lot do, or disappear into oblivion like others do (Gary Neville etc). Shows he's actually thinking about what's best to progress a career.

Throw in the being ok playing younger players.

Seriously focused still raw obviously but has at least a huge upside, could go tits up but at least there would be the prospect also of sonething good down the line.

Just reading the article that @Lanolin mentioned earlier and there is a lot in it too about how Lampard has used the last year to try and learn more, including speaking with Brendan Rodgers a lot and how he's talked with Steve Kerr (Warriors coach, if I'm not mistaken) about learning if there's any techniques from basketball coaching that can be applied.

Clearly isn't someone totally unwilling to learn.

He seems to be someone who if we had him long term, would learn and improve year on year.

Apparently had a fall out with their DoF and @Zatara said that basically all the signings he demanded have been flops or something this season

However, Bobble was saying last night that basically there's been a few PL clubs unsure on Kovac because it's not exactly clear why he fell out with Monaco's hiarachy. Paul Mitchell is well respected and has done a good job there.

It is however, well known from his time at Bayern, that Kovac can be a very divisive character.

I do get the comparisons to Benitez in how his teams play football. He is however a more modernised version more in touch with football in 2022.

I think his football is overrated and also his character is like Benitez...never met the bloke but thats the impression i get.

We lined him up but got done at the end?

Posters here saw a couple of international games (i didnt watch it) but if they'd seen him play in Holland they'd know he cant control a ball or cross well.

Sometimes the idea is more enticing than the reality -- which so far is that he's flopped in Italy.

He seems to be someone who if we had him long term, would learn and improve year on year.

I think his football is overrated and also his character is like Benitez...never met the bloke but thats the impression i get.

Posters here saw a couple of international games (i didnt watch it) but if they'd seen him play in Holland they'd know he cant control a ball or cross well.

Sometimes the idea is more enticing than the reality -- which so far is that he's flopped in Italy.
Tbf Dumfries is improving in Italy though.

Anyway, on Kovac's footy, I think it worked for Frankfurt. So maybe that would work for us, but it's very different leagues and that was back in 2015-17.

His Bayern team ranged from being superb to very, very bad. When you look at the level they've reached since under Flick and Nagelsmann, then that shows the difference in quality between the coaches.

Again, don't know enough about his time at Monaco. He did seem to get Golovin playing well again and oversaw that midfielder's rise (begins with T, cba looking to spell his name, big lad), but then again they do have a quality squad at Monaco and didn't they drop off badly towards the end of last season too? It's definitely the second-best squad in Ligue 1 at this moment in time I'd say, just based on me having seen Marseille and Lyon play a bit more and Lille have dropped since Galtier (the actual hero we need) left

Status
Not open for further replies.