Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to a 4th Division Swedish side.
Got them promoted
And again
And again
Won the main Swedish Cup
Qualified for Europe
Wins against Galatasaray and Arsenal (at the Emirates)
Finished 2nd in their group.

It was a pretty impressive few years. For all those who say the likes of Dunc should go and "earn his stripes" you can't knock what Potter did in Sweden (Yes, farmers league yawn etc). A 4th Division side playing and holding their own in Europa League group stages in less than 8 years is phenomenal - actually phenomenal, not the Martinez phenomenal.

Went on to have a very solid spell with a previously swiftly declining Swansea who then offered to make him one of the top paid managers in the Championship when Brighton came knocking. He's done well enough at Brighton with a net spend of pretty much zero across the last 3 seasons and a track record of improving young players while playing decent football. Compare that with some who believe that not being able to spend means you have to line up defensively and hope for the best.

By all accounts a very intelligent and well educated bloke as well. Not essential qualities but definitely a plus.

You might not want him, I can understand that, but to say you can't understand why others would is at best wilful ignorance.
You make it sound much better than the reality.
He did indeed do excellently when he worked in the lower leagues in Sweden for 7 years. 2 promotions and a cup win between 2011-2018 (his only managerial successes)
He moved to Swansea in 2018, they had been relegated to the championship the year previous after spending 7 years in the premiership. He finished mid table in the championship with them.
He then moved to Brighton where he's been since 2019 . After 109 Premier League games he has a win rate of 28.4 %
If we were a fourth division Swedish club I'd have him like a shot.

Carsley has a decent reputation as a coach right? Should already be familiar with some of the younger players like Gordon. Not saying he's ready to manage us but we should keep him in mind long-term if "knows the club" is an actual criteria (even if it shouldn't be).

If we had to hire a Martinez it should be Diego Martinez

Martínez has emerged as a leading candidate for the vacancy. The claims of the former Granada coach Diego Martínez, José Mourinho, Niko Kovac and Wayne Rooney are also expected to be discussed by the Everton hierarchy. Duncan Ferguson, who took temporary charge following Marco Silva’s dismissal in 2019, could be appointed on an interim basis.

Guardian

Honestly. I nearly didn't put them but I'm convinced that most managers will want to be in the PL and there's only so many super clubs.

I know I sound crazy.
Love the ambition but we are basket case club. It’s gonna be Roberto and just gonna have to get behind the man.

C2EDD9E4-625A-43C3-90A9-4D0EB4F0D08B.jpeg

Avram Grant

Martínez has emerged as a leading candidate for the vacancy. The claims of the former Granada coach Diego Martínez, José Mourinho, Niko Kovac and Wayne Rooney are also expected to be discussed by the Everton hierarchy. Duncan Ferguson, who took temporary charge following Marco Silva’s dismissal in 2019, could be appointed on an interim basis.

Guardian

Martinez is the worst of those options followed closely by Mourinho.

Guardian

Niko Kovac! I'm back to dreaming again. Get him in during the international break.

I’m just glad that we have a Director of Football in place who has the relevant experience and who has been given the proper responsibility in his role to fully assess any potential candidates and to make a satisfactory decision on who will be the next manager.

Oh.

Status
Not open for further replies.