Who we beat this year but didn't use to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allezfan

Player Valuation: 1p
I'm 27 and this current team is, probably, the best team I've seen us have.

Certainly the style and skill shown in games like the 4 vs Arsenal and Man U are something special and in terms of raw statistics we've racked up more points this season than we have since we last won it.

So I thought it might be interesting to see where we got those points from and where we've improved from last year and previous good years under Moyes and Royle.

You can divide those 38 games into 6 sections. Home vs the top teams, away vs the top teams, home vs midtable, away vs mistable, home vs the bottom teams & away vs the bottom teams.

I've bolded the points total which are our best and underlined the ones we've are the worst from these seasons.

This year, we got 8 points from home games vs the top 6, 1 point from away games vs the top 6, 21 points at home vs the midtable 9, 20 points away vs the midtable 9, 13 points at home vs the bottom 5 & 9 points away vs the bottom 5.

Last year, we got 11 points from home games vs the top 6, 3 points from away games vs the top 6, 18 points at home vs the midtable 9, 13 points away vs the midtable 9, 13 points at home vs the bottom 5 & 5 points away vs the bottom 5.

In 2008-09, the cup final year, we got 3 points at home vs the top 6, 3 points away vs the top 6, 16 points at home vs the midtable 9, 19 points away vs the midtable 9, 11 points from home games vs the bottom 5 & 11 points from away games vs the bottom 5.

In 2007-08, the yakubu year, we got 1 point at home vs the top 6, 1 point away vs the top 6, 21 points at home vs the midtable 9, 20 points away vs the midtable 9, 15 points from home games vs the bottom 5 & 7 points from away games vs the bottom 5.

In 2004-05, 4th year, we got 9 points at home vs the top 6, 1 point away vs the top 6, 14 points at home vs the midtable 9, 12 points away vs the midtable 9, 15 points from home games vs the bottom 5 & 10 points from away games vs the bottom 5.

In 1995-96, Royle's only full season, we got 4 points from home games vs the top 6, 6 points from away games vs the top 6, 18 points at home vs the midtable 9, 15 points away vs the midtable 9, 13 points at home vs the bottom 5 & 5 points away vs the bottom 5.

So it's a combination of two things, that makes this season the best. Our performance against the midtable teams (Man U down to Villa) is the joint best we've done in the PL era. Especially away. Compared to last year, 4th and Royle's season especially the big difference is the away form vs the bottom 14 teams, where we got 29 points vs 18, 22 & 20.

We've often been very good at home but struggled at being the team to comfortably turn up at other people's stadiums and play them off the park. But we are that now. We did it at Old Trafford, at St James, at Villa Park, etc, etc.

But in 2007-08 & 2008-09 we did just as well in those games, what we couldn't do was beat the top 6 at all. We were flat track bullies.

This year, however, we got 9 points vs the top 6 which might be less than we did last year, in the 4th year and in Royles 6th season but is much much better than the 2 points we picked up during the Yakubu/Cahill flat track bully year.

So basically Martinez has managed to create a team that can both go toe to toe with the top 6 at home and also ruthlessly dismiss the bottom 14 away from home. Which we've never done in my lifetime, before. The next step is to start converting some of our better away performances vs the top 6 into wins there, too. And then we'd be a real force.

We now try to win every game, rather than try to defend a point away from home against the top 4. It cost us against the [Poor language removed], but it worked against United and Arsenal. And almost against Chelsea and Spurs.

You're only 27? I had you down for older than that.

I think my favourite bit of that was reading this line, ha ha ha

Our performance against the midtable teams (Man U down to Villa)

Well in though mate, makes for interesting reading, I can live with the lack of points against top 6 clubs when we put in the performances we did and actually had a go, hopefully with a bit of extra quality that will translate to some decent results next season.

We now try to win every game, rather than try to defend a point away from home against the top 4. It cost us against the [Poor language removed], but it worked against United and Arsenal. And almost against Chelsea and Spurs.

I dunno about the top 4 but certainly we've been much more positive in away games on the whole. And that's even looking at the difference in performances (Arsenal away we got a point each time but it was night and day in terms of set up).

Compared to last season we had an identical home record but won 4 less away games. We just didn't go for it as much, Moyes too often left his balls back at Goodison.

In keeping with the OP this is how we've fared in head to heads with the teams this season compared to last (Cardiff, Hull and Palace replace Wigan, QPR and Reading)

Norwich - 4-2 (2-2 away, 2-0 home) - (2-3 last season)
West Brom - 1-1 (0-0 home, 1-1 away) - (2-3 last season)
Cardiff 2-1 - (0-0 away, 2-1 home) - (4-3 v Wigan last season)
Chelsea - 1-1 (1-0 home, 0-1 away) - (2-4 last season)
West Ham - 4-2 (3-2 away, 1-0 home) - (4-1 last season)
Newcastle - 6-2 (3-2 home, 3-0 away) - (4-3 last season)
Man City - 4-6 (1-3 away, 2-3 home) - (3-1 last season)
Hull - 4-1 (2-1 home, 2-0 away) - (3-1 v QPR last season)
Aston Villa - 4-1 (2-0 away, 2-1 home) - (6-4 last season)
Tottenham - 0-1 (0-0 home, 0-1 away) - (4-3 last season)
Crystal Palace - 2-3 (0-0 away, 2-3 home) - (4-3 v Reading last season)
Liverpool - 3-7 (3-3 home, 0-4 away) - (2-2 last season)
Stoke - 5-1 (4-1 home, 1-1 away) - (2-1 last season)
Man United - 3-0 (1-0 away, 2-0 home) - (1-2 last season)
Arsenal - 4-1 (1-1 away, 3-0 home) - (1-1 last season)
Fulham - 7-2 (4-1 home, 3-1 away) - (3-2 last season)
Swansea - 5-3 (2-1 away, 3-2 home) - (3-0 last season)
Sunderland - 1-1 (0-1 home, 1-0 away) - (2-2 last season)
Southampton - 2-3 (2-1 home, 0-2 away) - (3-1 last season)

you've basically made a elaborated post of my point that we had done the double over 7 teams this season.

monstor

We had eight games against WBA, Palace, Spurs and the RS, with twenty-four points available.

From those eight games, we banked a total of five points.

We have had a great season, yes; but there's still work to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.