• Cheese on Spotkicks

Votes: 13 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoysInBlue

Player Valuation: £50m
2dl2bub.jpg

And yet after today's game, following Barkley's miss.....

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...-lukaku-is-the-clubs-designated-penalty-taker

"Romelu is the penalty taker. After that there are three or four players who can take the penalties," Roberto Martinez told Sky Sports.
"There is no such thing as a best penalty taker. I don't agree with penalty takers being designated apart from Romelu being on the pitch."

:coffee:

The Catalan Clown strikes again?

Baines, then Lukaku.

But Baines last penalty when he missed, he literally stepped up as though he was going to miss it. If he hasn't the confidence then he shouldn't take them anymore.

That being said, we are probably trying to get ready for life without Baines at some point.

Baines last few have been a bit ropey even though they go in, bit disappointed though at how spineless hes been with these things this season, grab it and take charge

Rom for me when hes on the pitch and in good confidence

Another thing.... this Martinez quote terrifies me, because it is symptomatic of what is wrong at the club:

"I don't agree with penalty takers being designated"

Seriously... WTF???!!! He doesn't agree with having a plan before the team goes out, on who takes specific key set pieces, specifically the most crucial of them all, a penalty kick?

I thought his previous comments about corners being 'worthless' and not being practicised in training, because some supposed stat somewhere said teams rarely score from them, but this tops that in the stupidity stakes.

This man might be a lovely guy and we all want him to do well, but he doesn't half make it hard for himself by not getting the basics right and coming out with the most nonsensical drivel known to man. Or 'poor management', if you want to sum it up succintly.

Looks like Lukaku is our man now, if not I'd prefer Baines over Barkley or Mirallas but really anyone who fancies it if the designated taker doesn't.

We're lucky to have so many players with good scoring records from the spot, and a top class keeper if we concede one ourselves who's got a good record.

I was just about to make the exact same thread.

It's Baines all day.

But with the way Baines seems to avoid them this season, Lukaku would be next choice.

Baines. Despite what many may think, taking a penalty is actually pretty difficult, especially at 0-0 or when being led. I think that out of the entire team, having taken the most so far, Baines can handle that sort of pressure the best.

I actually don't mind it changing around, I care about it going in.

I think I would quite like to see it change around but if that really doesn't work then Rom.

Status
Not open for further replies.