Which Merseyside district produces most Everton players;

Status
Not open for further replies.
...nice story, Evo. Yes, I captured him on the ‘Wirral’ intake and was only thinking myself that he was one of the first ‘elite’ footballers taken to Lilleshall by the FA. Quite controversial at the time because they were living away from home.

Those top players do tend to be good at all sports, somebody mentioned similar about Ronnie Goodlass at John Hamilton High School. I think it’s a mix of athletic genes and really good co-ordination that sets them apart.

Yes I read that about Ronnie goodlass w interest. John was a brilliant school cricketer and rugby player. I would have said better at those sports than football so Lilleshall was a big surprise - it was first intake.

it was controversial at school at the time too. The year before John went to lilleshall any kind of football was banned in the playground. Quickly this meant playground football was played with tennis balls and when they were quickly banned we played with wiffle balls (tennis ball sized w air flowing thru). Johns year and my year produced more professional / international football and rugby players than any years ever at the school. I partly put my rugby and football (didn’t go pro when offered but chose rugby) career down to footwork and movement to control a wiffle ball at speed aged 12.

...ffs, might have to draw a line at 1960.

i was thinking about John Willie Parker. In the late 70s I played for a team managed by Dave Hickson for a season. Very quiet, modest man.

He was quite shy, but equally a bit nuts when it came to playing. Regardless, he wasn’t talkative but he told me a few times that J W Parker was the best he played with. A genius. I looked him up and his goalscoring record is outstanding.

Dave said the two of them should’ve played for England but selection was by committee and they weren’t the right type. Dave is high-profile but JW Parker must’ve been some footballer.
My grandad took me to Goodison when I was a little lad and John Willie Parker was his favourite player. Funny how things stick in your mind for so
many years and I can't remember what I had for tea last night.

SMA, my old school. Except it was in Anfield when I went.
We were talking about Gary Ablett just to clarify. Maybe some of the Red lurkers know where he's from.

Our house has an EVERTON nameplate and a young bloke rang the bell about 8 years ago. He was an Evertonian from Liverpool and here in Melbourne in his gap year and trying to get people to switch to his Electricity retailer. We had a long chat and he was from Wavertree and knew Victor Anichebe. Maybe that's a clue.

Oh, and I signed up to his company.

....yep, have it in my mind Mick Lyons went to De La Salle. I’m sure somebody will confirm Harry. Just thought, Paul Lodge another Norris Green lad.

I think we can include Paul Hodge, Stuart Rimmer and Kieran Dowell in the Southport area list.
Mick Lyons lived in Croxteth. Malpas Rd. He ran a Sunday league team for a short while when he first started playing for Everton.
Sunday league team (Malpas) played in West Derby League against the likes of Stoneycroft and Parkside.

We were talking about Gary Ablett just to clarify. Maybe some of the Red lurkers know where he's from.

Our house has an EVERTON nameplate and a young bloke rang the bell about 8 years ago. He was an Evertonian from Liverpool and here in Melbourne in his gap year and trying to get people to switch to his Electricity retailer. We had a long chat and he was from Wavertree and knew Victor Anichebe. Maybe that's a clue.

Oh, and I signed up to his company.
Gary Ablett was from Aigburth

....an update based on additional information and comments;

Norris Green/Croxteth/West Derby; 11 players, 1,832 appearances, 5 full internationals.
Joe Royle: Wayne Rooney: Franny Jeffers: Tommy Wright: Tony Grant: Paul Lodge: Mick Lyons: Tom Davies: Brian Labone: Aiden Maher: Tony Thomas.

Top of the 'kin league up the Nogzy soldiers/crocky crew/slightly more affluent west derbians!

I commented on another thread earlier about Salford’s left back an ex Everton academy player ibou touray...I believe he was from toxteth

I commented on another thread earlier about Salford’s left back an ex Everton academy player ibou touray...I believe he was from toxteth

....great to see so many local lads playing across the leagues. This thread, though, is about local players who have played for our first team.

Derek Mountfield, while growing up in part on the Wirral, was born in Tuebrook.

Another one for the superior north end.

Derek Mountfield, while growing up in part on the Wirral, was born in Tuebrook.

Another one for the superior north end.

....what’s the geographical definition of North and South End?

I always thought the North end is Bootle, the South end is Allerton/Garston and the bits in-between were in the middle.

....what’s the geographical definition of North and South End?

I always thought the North end is Bootle, the South end is Allerton/Garston and the bits in-between were in the middle.
I’d say Edge Lane/Prescot Road is a good rough north/south boundary for the general metropolitan area.

It was funny as a child how many local first division division players both blue and red lived and had small businesses local to me. Jimmy Husband lived I think it was in Portrush street Tuebrook, Derek Temple had the PO at old Roan, Peter thompson had the filling station (was it Oakfield Road) and a sweet shop in Clubmoor.....I remember seeing him and booing when he'd show up in his 1970 World Cup Cortina Mk2. lol lol My old fella used to drink with Joe Royles Grandad in the Broadway Conservative club too and get all the inside stories.

It was funny as a child how many local first division division players both blue and red lived and had small businesses local to me. Jimmy Husband lived I think it was in Portrush street Tuebrook, Derek Temple had the PO at old Roan, Peter thompson had the filling station (was it Oakfield Road) and a sweet shop in Clubmoor.....I remember seeing him and booing when he'd show up in his 1970 World Cup Cortina Mk2. lol lol My old fella used to drink with Joe Royles Grandad in the Broadway Conservative club too and get all the inside stories.

....sign of the times, today’s footballers live in a totally different world and most couldn’t lace the boots of the ones you mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.