Which Merseyside district produces most Everton players;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colin Harvey is from Bootle. I spoke to him in a pub in Town Green a few years back and when i mentioned I was from Bootle, he said he was as well, Alexandra Drive Off Orrell Lane. May have gone to school in Fazakerley like, it's not far.
Colin lived 67 Manica Cresent when he played for Everton met him many times what a lovely man

.....I’m a 63 year old scouser but I’m not sure of the geographical definition of the North and South Ends of the City, but my initial thoughts are that the North End has produced more Everton players.

I’ll put a bit of meat on the bone and collate some details later.

Yeh Branch was Aigburth, went to my primary school. He preferred playing cricket by all accounts and probably could’ve made a better career out of that

....Branch is a good shout. I’m that old, his Dad was a very good player and an old teammate of mine.

Thought of Ian Marshall and Harry Bennet (kicked me all over a football pitch once), but not sure where in the City they come from.

He defo went to the Collegiate, yes. As did Royle.
Joe Royle went to Ellergreen in Norris Green Tony Thomas from Norris Green aswell on a side note Howard Gale was from Norris Green and Tom Baker Doctor Who seem's there's been a lot of talent come from there great place to grow up Noggsy was

Howard kendall was from formby

Howard Kendall is from the North East. He went to school with Bryan Ferry from Roxy Music.

Last edited:

.....some scores on the boards. I might have missed some off and some might disagree with joining certain districts but it’s just a bit of fun as well. Players with provenance in this thread who have played since 1960;

Norris Green/Croxteth/West Derby; 11 players, 1,832 appearances, 5 full internationals.

Joe Royle: Wayne Rooney: Franny Jeffers: Tommy Wright: Tony Grant: Paul Lodge: Mick Lyons: Tom Davies: Brian Labone: Aiden Maher: Tony Thomas.

Walton/Kirkdale (Scotland Rd); 9 players, 1094 appearances, 1 full international.
Dave Watson: Jonjoe Kenny: Bill Kenny (snr): Bill Kenny (jnr): John Bailey: Johnny Morrissey: Neil Robinson: Jimmy Tansey: Michael Gannon.

Huyton/Dovecot; 8 players, 998 appearances, 2 full internationals.
Peter Reid: Derek Temple: Tony Hibbert: George Telfer: Connor McAleney: Mark Ward: Dave Jones.

Wirral; 7 players, 829 appearances, 1 full international.
Paul Bracewell: John Ebbrell: Roy Parnell: George Sharples: Brian Harris: Derek Mountfield: John King.

Southport/Formby/Crosby; 6 players, 376 appearances, 3 full internationals.
Michael Ball: Jack Rodwell: Victor Anichebe: Martin Hodge: PeterClarke: Stuart Rimmer.

Bootle; 5 players, 423 appearances, 1 full international.
Colin Harvey: Jose Baxter: Callum Connolly: Frank Darcy: Andy Rankin.

Kirkby; 2 players, 466 appearances, 1 full international.
Leighton Baines: Alan Stubbs.

Wavertree/Old Swan; 3 players, 299 appearances, 1 full international.
Terry Darracott: Ross Barkley: Peter Billing.

Garston; 2 players, 295 appearances, 1 full international.
John Gidman: Albert Dunlop.

Everton L4L5: 2 players, 56 appearances.
Ronnie Goodlass: Archie Styles.

Toxteth; 3 players, 50 appearances.
Cliff Marshall: Michael Branch: Alan Wilson.

Ormskirk; 1 player, 2 appearances.
Kieran Dowell.

Cantril Farm; 1 player, 1 appearance.
Ian Bishop.

A few we’re unable to ‘house’. Leon Osman; Gary Abblett: Harry Bennett: Anthony Gordon: Billy Wright: Stuart Barlow: Alan Harper. I’m sure there’s plenty missed off.

Last edited:
....plenty of top players have come through our ranks from other parts of the country. Jimmy Husband from the North-East was terrific and John Hurst come to mind. We did have a lot of Irish lads not many years back, Richard Dunne having a fabulous career.

.....some scores on the boards. I might have missed some off and some might disagree with joining certain districts but it’s just a bit of fun as well. Players with provenance in this thread who have played since 1960;

Norris Green/Croxteth/West Derby; 11 players, 1,832 appearances, 5 full internationals.

Joe Royle: Wayne Rooney: Franny Jeffers: Tommy Wright: Tony Grant: Paul Lodge: Mick Lyons: Tom Davies: Brian Labone: Aiden Maher: Tony Thomas.

Walton/Kirkdale (Scotland Rd); 9 players, 1094 appearances, 1 full international.
Dave Watson: Jonjoe Kenny: Bill Kenny (snr): Bill Kenny (jnr): John Bailey: Johnny Morrissey: Neil Robinson: Jimmy Tansey: Michael Gannon.

Huyton/Dovecot; 8 players, 998 appearances, 2 full internationals.
Peter Reid: Derek Temple: Tony Hibbert: George Telfer: Connor McAleney: Mark Ward: Dave Jones.

Wirral; 7 players, 829 appearances, 1 full international.
Paul Bracewell: John Ebbrell: Roy Parnell: George Sharples: Brian Harris: Derek Mountfield: John King.

Southport/Formby/Crosby; 6 players, 376 appearances, 3 full internationals.
Michael Ball: Jack Rodwell: Victor Anichebe: Martin Hodge: PeterClarke: Stuart Rimmer.

Bootle; 5 players, 423 appearances, 1 full international.
Colin Harvey: Jose Baxter: Callum Connolly: Frank Darcy: Andy Rankin.

Kirkby; 2 players, 466 appearances, 1 full international.
Leighton Baines: Alan Stubbs.

Wavertree/Old Swan; 3 players, 299 appearances, 1 full international.
Terry Darracott: Ross Barkley: Peter Billing.

Garston; 2 players, 295 appearances, 1 full international.
John Gidman: Albert Dunlop.

Toxteth; 3 players, 50 appearances.
Cliff Marshall: Michael Branch: Alan Wilson.

Ormskirk; 1 player, 2 appearances.
Kieran Dowell.

Cantril Farm; 1 player, 1 appearance.
Ian Bishop.

A few we’re unable to ‘house’. Leon Osman; Gary Abblett: Harry Bennett: Anthony Gordon: Billy Wright: Stuart Barlow: Alan Harper. I’m sure there’s plenty missed off.
Great work, Eggs. Impressive detail. I broadly agree with the categories, though might have thrown the Cantril Farm player Bishop in with Huyton-Dovecot, and split Old Swan-Wavertree up, as explained below. I'd also put Dave Jones from Huyton into Halewood...and I think you missed McMahon out there (?)...who I'd also put into Halewood - and I'd place them both into my "Liverpool South' category. So....

....in broad terms, it's obvious that the hypothesis that north end districts would dominate is proven...Walton, Kirkdale, Scotty, Norris Green, Crocky on 20 (and even more so if you throw in Bootle's 5 to make 25. That would be 'Liverpool North'.

'Liverpool East' (Dovecot/Huyton/Canny Farm...and I'd throw Old Swan in as 'east') = 9.

After that is 'Liverpool South' (Toxteth/Garston...and I'd say Wavertree at a stretch and also Halewood) = 9.

For me that lot ^^^^ would be a 'Greater Liverpool' snapshot of players from known identifying districts which would = 43

"Over the water" and other outlying districts on this side of the Mersey = 16.

Status
Not open for further replies.