Which Everton games have left you feeling high as a kite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGW89

Player Valuation: £35m
In response to the "rock bottom" thread that is popular today. Here is its antithesis.

For Premier League games my top five are:

#5: Everton 3-1 Spurs, 9th Apr 04

I knew exactly how important the game was, and having been a bag of nerves all day, the performance and the result was like a shot of heroin. I knew we had attained survival that night.

#4: Norwich 2-3 Everton, 23rd Oct 04

The game that took us to 2nd place with just over a quarter of the season gone. I was at a wedding that day and preoccupied with the score. I was only interested in getting the score on my WAP enabled phone (Oh yeah, WAP enabled!), the score NOR 2 EVE 3 (FT) flashed up at the precise moment the vicar asked if there was any reason they should not be married.

I let out a stifled "yes", which luckily the vicar nor the couple did not hear, but several people around my pew did, and gave me a look that could curdle milk. Later on, at the reception in the boat museum at Camden Lock I stuffed my face with the best wedding spread imaginable. Made the Red Hot Buffet at Liverpool One look like a soup kitchen....

Great day.

#3: Everton 1-0 Liverpool, 11th Dec 04

First derby win since getting pubes, 12 pts above the RS, we looked unstoppable.

#2: Everton 2-0 Liverpool, 17th Oct 10

I remember thinking we'd just relegated the RS - not unreasonable given their form and a clueless manager. It is possibly the only time in living memory my kopite mates have held their hands up and admitted that the Redshyt, REALLY are shyt!

#1: Everton 3-0 Liverpool, 9th Sep 06

Top of the league, sun shining, derby win. Can we have something like that again please?

most games in the park end left me high as a kite during the nineties.

Probably something to do with the drugs being smoked behind me every week.

(true story)

When Jelavic scored the 2nd against Man City a couple of seasons back.

Just the way it looped over Hart and the crowd's reaction and his reaction and it was pretty much perfect.

When Jelavic scored the 2nd against Man City a couple of seasons back.

Just the way it looped over Hart and the crowd's reaction and his reaction and it was pretty much perfect.

Yeah, that was pretty special, it had the same feel to it as those unexpected derby wins we used to get in the 90s. Often we'd have a dismal game beforehand but bring the pain immediately after, and this was the case because that game was exactly a week after the infamous 0-3 v Wigan.

Everton 4-0 West Ham, Dec 1991 - Was the first time I saw us win (second game I'd been to).

Everton 1-0 Man Utd, Apr 2005 - The night after my younger daughter was born, Duncan's diving header. Ace.

Everton 2-1 Southampton, Feb 2003 - Last minute Radzinski winner, watched the second half in the pub on my lunch hour then went back to the rest of the afternoon at work on a high.

Other games were probably better in terms of overall long lasting happiness, but these ones were more 'high as a kite' at the time, if that makes sense.

The 1-1 at the Emirates last season.

It felt like we were genuinely witnessing a change in our fortunes and the emergence of something special. We were playing away at the current league leaders, we showed no fear and we played them off the park. Then when they scored late on, I thought: "here we go again..." - but no! Little Gerry popped up with a wonder strike, in front of our typically massive travelling support, and I jumped out of my seat.

Even though we didn't win, it felt like something had happened. A seizmic shift. We'd won and OT only a few days before and now here we were, giving the league leaders a real threat. Soon after we won at Swansea. We were two points off top spot going into Xmas...

Other games were probably better in terms of overall long lasting happiness, but these ones were more 'high as a kite' at the time, if that makes sense.

Absolutely, this thread isn't so much about the more famous results like 3-1 v Bayern etc, but maybe some more obscure ones (like yours) that have personal gravity. For instance, not many will remember beating Norwich 3-2 in 2004, but the wedding anecdote never fails to make fellow blues laugh!

For me it was Arsenal at home last season, specifically the moment Seamus started doing keepy uppys down the length of the wing.
I actually really like the games where a player breaks through, like when we beat Arsenal 2-1 away, with Rooney scoring that goal.

The semi-final against Man U was good for me; beautiful weather, the game was too tense to be enjoyable, but the togetherness shown by the team and crowd that day was something special.

For the less famous games, I think thrashing West Ham 6 - 0 in the last home game of season 1998/99 takes some beating. The Hammers were in the top six then and we'd only just ensured our Premier League safety. Campbell scored a hat-trick and Ball, Jeffers and Hutchison scored the others.

3-0 v Liverpool with AJ running the show. Arsenal at home last season. Dan Gosling FA Cup v Liverpool. Jagielka's penalty against United in the FA Cup semis. Oviedo v United.

A 2.2 draw at Goodison against Arsenal a few years back Ian Wright played for them then. But it was just the joy of baptising my son as an Evertonian as it was his first match at Goodison. he has been hooked ever since

Also a pre season friendly at Woking when my boy was a toddler - we got on the pitch during the warm up and met Nev, he loved Big Nev and had a little chat with Mo Johnston

Status
Not open for further replies.