Homepage Update: Where Next For Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

catcherintherye

Player Valuation: £80m

In times of difficulty the sensationalism of social media creates an immediacy that was not apparent in football even a decade ago. This truth lingers long as I attempt to evaluate quite how the club has got itself into the bind it is stuck in and how it can truly get itself out of such a bind. Each game lost is now met with a public outcry of rage that may have once been confined to a coach or car home, or a pub with friends but is now broadcast all over the internet. To a certain degree I myself an guilty of this, going onto internet spaces to vent anger and frustration in the aftermath of another defeat. As with all clubs there is an element of an echo chamber that resides around this and often it is the most angry and concerned voices that become amplified the most. I suspect the same dynamics have always been in existence, but the immediacy and scope of social media has acted as an amplifier for such trends.

Full article: https://www.grandoldteam.com/2019/02/13/where-next-for-everton/

Good write-up.

I am guilty of venting after a defeat myself, indeed it does remove objectivity and a recognition of the mass of problems faced at the club.

However I do feel, on present and past evidence, that it's a case of when and not if Silva departs.

I sincerely hope that he can pull it around over the next couple of games, I really do. I would rather avoid another change unless it's considered absolutely necessary. I would also avoid change if there is no availability of a replacement, or no clear idea at present as to who that might be.

It seems to me he is clinging on. Human nature being what it is I would be surprised if at least some board members, such is the size of the board, haven't already expressed concerns. It won't be solely Brands decision but I imagine they will listen if he feels Silva should stay on.

The best solution is that we pick up form and try to get to the end of the season and re-assess.

However, and sadly, events seem to be overtaking Silva and he will not survive another couple of consecutive defeats in my opinion.

He will prove himself a fighter if he can pull us away from this mess, but when is he going to start doing it?

Last edited:
Good read that, appreciate time it must have taken, hats off to you.

A few points for me. Regarding social media, I don't think our owner, a self made billionaire should be using Jim White to send messages to the fans, I thought we had a website for that. Also, his statement of 'expected losses' a while ago created a whole negativity around the club I thought.
Its almost like he has never done a social media training course which I would have thought would be a good idea considering how much the media is involved in football. My point is, if he was a little bit more professional it might run down and through the whole club.
Its not just on the pitch were we need to do better.

As for Marco Silva, I say I want rid of him but part of me knows he hasn't had a fair crack of the whip. We have been without a decent striker since Lakaku left. We gave Allardyce that money to buy a striker and he looks like a dud.
So do we give him money to spend and hope he comes good with a proven goal scorer. I think we would be a totally different team this season if we had one.
My concern is the effort he gets out of the team, or lack of it.

Good read that, appreciate time it must have taken, hats off to you.

A few points for me. Regarding social media, I don't think our owner, a self made billionaire should be using Jim White to send messages to the fans, I thought we had a website for that. Also, his statement of 'expected losses' a while ago created a whole negativity around the club I thought.
Its almost like he has never done a social media training course which I would have thought would be a good idea considering how much the media is involved in football. My point is, if he was a little bit more professional it might run down and through the whole club.
Its not just on the pitch were we need to do better.

As for Marco Silva, I say I want rid of him but part of me knows he hasn't had a fair crack of the whip. We have been without a decent striker since Lakaku left. We gave Allardyce that money to buy a striker and he looks like a dud.
So do we give him money to spend and hope he comes good with a proven goal scorer. I think we would be a totally different team this season if we had one.
My concern is the effort he gets out of the team, or lack of it.

I think you make a good point there, particularly with Moshiri coming off the back of years of Kenwright sentimentality.

Ideally Moshiri should say nothing, and should have ensured strong corporate leadership at the club and he has failed in that aspect.

Kenwright is neither use nor ornament, alongside a growing band of managers and administrators.

It isn't the time for niceties, so I'd like to think that Brands is fuming behind the scenes at our form.

The whole club needs a good kick up the proverbials, most notably the players.

At this stage I wouldn't at all see it as undue interference for Brands or another board member, to be talking to the players to get a grip of exactly what is going on.

Silva needs to pick what he feels is his strongest team in the formation he wants and tell the players they will get until the end of the season. He needs to tell these players that if they aren't good enough they will be replaced. Hopefully that will light a fire underneath a few. Any that don't heed this warning clearly aren't good enough or coasting because they are on soft contracts. I personally think we need a striker and a left footed winger, a left centre back and a midfielder who can play the number '6' role. We may need others but this is what I would use them last 11 games for.

View attachment 54290

In times of difficulty the sensationalism of social media creates an immediacy that was not apparent in football even a decade ago. This truth lingers long as I attempt to evaluate quite how the club has got itself into the bind it is stuck in and how it can truly get itself out of such a bind. Each game lost is now met with a public outcry of rage that may have once been confined to a coach or car home, or a pub with friends but is now broadcast all over the internet. To a certain degree I myself an guilty of this, going onto internet spaces to vent anger and frustration in the aftermath of another defeat. As with all clubs there is an element of an echo chamber that resides around this and often it is the most angry and concerned voices that become amplified the most. I suspect the same dynamics have always been in existence, but the immediacy and scope of social media has acted as an amplifier for such trends.

Full article: https://www.grandoldteam.com/2019/02/13/where-next-for-everton/
Excellent article.

Thoughtful logical article - thanks!!
I'd agree with the rise of social media and add the point that social media not only amplifies but polarizes views. This is true of football, politics, religion and entertainment to name but a few....
On the topic of managerial change, I subscribe to your view that this should not be a reactive process and should be based on the availability of better managers rather than the performance of the incumbent. Just as in any of our on-field positions we should always be thinking about where our next coaching upgrade might come from. That should be part of Brands' job. Even if Marco has a great final 12 games this season, if a way better coach becomes available why wouldn't we trade up? Sounds a little disloyal at first but I am loyal to Everton first and foremost, not any one member of our staff/team.
Should a better goalie than Pickford become available in the summer wouldn't we be justified in bringing him in, even if Pickford subsequently moved on - it would clearly be in the club's best interest.
Perhaps this requires some revision on how managerial contracts are put together and the expected shelf-life of a manager. being reflected in the contract. Offering someone a 3 yr contract when you know their tenure is based on 6 months of results is frankly absurd. Maybe all managers should have a one year renewable contract, perhaps bigger than what they have today in wages - it is still cheaper than the massive compo fees we have paid. This charade of using contracts to insulate financially against poor performance by an individual is just plain bizarre (see BFS's contract).
So on the immediate focus of firing Marco Silva - we should only do so if and when the upgrade is available. Firing someone as a punishment for poor performance doesn't actually move the club forward (it satisfies one polar view on social media and just enters us into an interim management lottery) unless you are bringing in an A-player to replace your B-player's performance. When Lukaku had a poor run of slotting in 2016 no-one said lets get rid of him and put the U-18 striker in there. Any sensible club would have sought a replacement and then sold him - but that's for a separate rant.
Should Mr Brands not be able to find a better coach than Mr Silva then we should stick with him until we can, This is not a black and white polar situation despite what the GOT social Media polls and comments might lead you to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.