What's the plan? (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see us implement a recruitment condition I've just invented called "The 1v1 Test". Basically, any potential signing we're looking at has to go one versus one against our best players. If they don't win their fair share, they don't sign. Say it's a defender and they get ripped by Richarlison nine times out of 10, we don't sign them. If it's an attacker and they struggle to beat Mason Holgate, no thanks.

Obviously this is a ridiculous idea and won't happen, but it's representative of an actual point about the side that I've thought was the case since Barkley left: we have very few players I would back in a one v one situation, either attacking or defending. It's a generally decent indicator of how good your team is, and judging by my personal opinion of how these imaginary scenarios would go down, we are very, very poor.
I know what you mean mate. I like the tactical stuff on here but for me, unless we sign players who win more of their individual duels on match day, we will be stuck in this situation. Passing the ball with no threat to a team mate who is either less comfortable on the ball (CBs) or in a less advanced position (most of them, most of the time atm) has become most players’ default position and is absolutely the fundamental flaw in our “system” in so far as we even have one.
Hard to say in any one situation the extent it is lack of ability, attitude or football brain but we are going nowhere fast unless our players do a lot more with the ball and make life a lot harder for the opposition when they have it.

@orly I must be wearing off on you with the long posts!

Interesting analysis, and well worth a read. In truth I dont think we really have a singular plan. We seem to flounce from medium term crisis to medium term crisis, history repeating itself along the way.

wake up lads .... except that for years our club is not the first pick for top players , 90% of top players will even for the less cash chose top 6 clubs or any club from London , we are force to buy second level players for high fees and that’s put us right where we are at the moment or last few seasons , somewhere between 8-12 spot , our scouting also have no results , we can not bring any young player who has potential , so many wrong transfers , players that never play not even one single match for first team , shame , things may change with Carlo but it will take a few years for sure , if we get one or two top players over the summer it will be more that excellent . I am hoping that we can get more competitive at the same time as we move to BM stadium , this is why is important that Carlo stay for few years and slowly start to build this team at the level where we all want to be , nothing will not happen overnight or this very next season

Whatever problems we have, we must first acknowledge them to begin resolving them.

I'm torn between making more personnel changes off-field and keeping those who have gone stale or who are not good enough, on.

But lets assume Brands stays on. I would dilute his role to allow Ancelotti full control of transfers. Let Brands focus on scouting, the academy, and sports science.
In tandem, I think Unsworth and his team should be replaced. He is here too long and I don't see much added value from the U23's to the first team.

Give Ancelotti time. We are in a dreadful state. It will take several years, though if we get the right fit of signings at the right time, things can immeasurably improve.
Its very obvious to say we can no longer throw good money after bad on another string of mediocre players with poor attitudes. But we'll have to return to creativity in the market. There is no room for error. Let's swerve buying rejects from the big clubs. Let's make our own superstars as Carlo says.

Let's make full use of frees and loans to help with numbers and reduce risk.

And get rid of Pickford this summer. His attitude stinks.

It's worth mentioning that the stadium issue is something that contributes to the sense of drift. There's way too much leeway given to erratic onfield form and seasons that are wasted because there's a notion that all will be well when / if we get a brand new stadium.

It's a distraction and it's a means for the owners to deliver inept campaigns. And we're nowhere near the end of that process. I expect another 2 seasons drift.

We appointed a DoF who wants to do things a certain way academy upwards with a continuity of playing style and coaching philosophy, building through profitable transfer business. The tried and trusted long-term continuity Dutch approach that has been adopted and adapted by clubs elsewhere. That was ‘the plan’ but we have lacked the organisational self-discipline to stick to it.

What do I mean? Well, we have a Board who panic approximately every 18 months & decide we need a knew manager and who love a splashy headline transfer creating more chances to see themselves in the papers/on tv (amazingly Bill has become the least of our problems in this respect!). We have an owner who dips in and out but gets hands on in manager hire/fire and in transfer strategy. Our owner and Board are making it impossible for Brands or any other DoF to impose any consistency or continuity.

Brands has one year left on his contract I think. I’d be amazed if he extends because he’s doomed to fail unless and until our Board and owner stop getting involved in operational football decisions. We had a plan. We should actually try applying it! Brands has not done particularly well but he has not really been allowed to do things his own way. If he's going to fail it should be on his own terms.

Whatever problems we have, we must first acknowledge them to begin resolving them.

I'm torn between making more personnel changes off-field and keeping those who have gone stale or who are not good enough, on.

But lets assume Brands stays on. I would dilute his role to allow Ancelotti full control of transfers. Let Brands focus on scouting, the academy, and sports science.
In tandem, I think Unsworth and his team should be replaced. He is here too long and I don't see much added value from the U23's to the first team.

Give Ancelotti time. We are in a dreadful state. It will take several years, though if we get the right fit of signings at the right time, things can immeasurably improve.
Its very obvious to say we can no longer throw good money after bad on another string of mediocre players with poor attitudes. But we'll have to return to creativity in the market. There is no room for error. Let's swerve buying rejects from the big clubs. Let's make our own superstars as Carlo says.

Let's make full use of frees and loans to help with numbers and reduce risk.

And get rid of Pickford this summer. His attitude stinks.

In truth do we actually know exactly the working relationship between the two?

We appointed a DoF who wants to do things a certain way academy upwards with a continuity of playing style and coaching philosophy, building through profitable transfer business. The tried and trusted long-term continuity Dutch approach that has been adopted and adapted by clubs elsewhere. That was ‘the plan’ but we have lacked the organisational self-discipline to stick to it.

What do I mean? Well, we have a Board who panic approximately every 18 months & decide we need a knew manager and who love a splashy headline transfer creating more chances to see themselves in the papers/on tv (amazingly Bill has become the least of our problems in this respect!). We have an owner who dips in and out but gets hands on in manager hire/fire and in transfer strategy. Our owner and Board are making it impossible for Brands or any other DoF to impose any consistency or continuity.

Brands has one year left on his contract I think. I’d be amazed if he extends because he’s doomed to fail unless and until our Board and owner stop getting involved in operational football decisions. We had a plan. We should actually try applying it! Brands has not done particularly well but he has not really been allowed to do things his own way. If he's going to fail it should be on his own terms.
Yes, that back seating driving is a feature of the Moshiri era and it's been a disaster. However, the players Brands has brought in are, by and large, a huge waste of money.

The DoF post is not needed. Not at this club. What we've always needed is a savvy industry expert working as a CEO to keep Moshiri at bay, and a manager who makes all the football decisions.

Said it all yesterday. Wolves are fighting to try and get in a champions league place and that bunch of embarrassments wearing a blue shirt cannot even bothered to fight for 11th place. None of them deserve to be employed or even supported. We have had plenty of bad times over the decades but i dont think i have ever been this ashamed about my club.

I know what you mean mate. I like the tactical stuff on here but for me, unless we sign players who win more of their individual duels on match day, we will be stuck in this situation. Passing the ball with no threat to a team mate who is either less comfortable on the ball (CBs) or in a less advanced position (most of them, most of the time atm) has become most players’ default position and is absolutely the fundamental flaw in our “system” in so far as we even have one.
Hard to say in any one situation the extent it is lack of ability, attitude or football brain but we are going nowhere fast unless our players do a lot more with the ball and make life a lot harder for the opposition when they have it.
It’s not ability or football brain, it’s straight forward courage, courage to take the ball and do something other than give a pass back to the guy you have just received it from. Courage to move position so you can receive the ball further up the field. Hardly any of our players receive the ball on the half turn, so that the can look forward. It’s courage , players are hiding and taking the easy option.

It’s not ability or football brain, it’s straight forward courage, courage to take the ball and do something other than give a pass back to the guy you have just received it from. Courage to move position so you can receive the ball further up the field. Hardly any of our players receive the ball on the half turn, so that the can look forward. It’s courage , players are hiding and taking the easy option.
Our players dont understand what courage means....serial bottlers for years.

In truth do we actually know exactly the working relationship between the two?

We don't but I don't think we have the luxury of Brands running rampant this summer. We know he was here and Ancelotti wasn't. I expect he'll actually be happy to bow to Ancelotti's judgement this year anyway but he can still act in a supporting role.

I'd be much more assured this year if our signings were either pinpointed or at least approved by Ancelotti, all of them. Not the two of them going off different tangents and compromising, you make this signing, I'll make that one. We have a manager who has almost an unparalleled and continued level of success in European club football. Let him dictate what he wants within the constraints.

We'll never know for sure but we will see the evidence on the pitch.

Said it all yesterday. Wolves are fighting to try and get in a champions league place and that bunch of embarrassments wearing a blue shirt cannot even bothered to fight for 11th place. None of them deserve to be employed or even supported. We have had plenty of bad times over the decades but i dont think i have ever been this ashamed about my club.

And the other point about Wolves is that they have an uncomplicated style of football and long term continuity. We don't and it is starting to bite.

Reactions: Lob

Status
Not open for further replies.