What's the plan? (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

orly

Please check with me for Blammo criteria
Hello mein frandels and contributors to leading Everton website frandoldteam.com. It's time for another SERIOUS thread. I hope people start some more long-form threads soon.

1594576591186.png

Nearly three years ago I asked in another thread what we thought our playing style plan was following a lacklustre defeat against Chelsea. It's deeply ironic that Tom Davies is the only player who started in each of my snapshot examples on that thread. Perhaps I'm like him too, I've not improved in all that time either.

1594576823755.png

We've run out of things to point at now since September 2017. If it was the quality of the manager that was holding us back, and Lord knows it was grim pickings under Koeman, Allardyce, Silva and Unnnnnnnnsy, we've now got one of the all-time greats. Steve "the Passport" Walsh and his profligate spending holding us back? We got rid of him too and replaced him with Brands, he of the Youtube documentary and suits lined with fifties. The pandemic cured the fandemic - we now boo from home so those gentle players can't hear us.

But we are still absolutely rubbish, our captain and manager have just thrown the squad to the wolves on live TV, and we're in the bottom half, having spent the equivalent of the UK's PPE budget on utter, utter tosh. There's nothing to mask it any more; it's the eleven bells strolling / falling / sticking their tongues out all over the pitch that have got us here (and their pals in the wider squad).

1594578597704.png

But what's the plan from here? The good people of the world's greatest Everton forum have, with varying degrees of justification, have made the case for the selling, releasing or retiring of nigh-on everyone apart from Richarlison this summer, and yet perversely he's our most coveted asset, and could well be forgiven for looking for a new club. I genuinely believe he would start at every club in the world.

And what's the plan for the club? There's now no real argument that Tait and Unsworth adequately prepare our youngsters for first team football at the top level. Dowell, Pennington, Kenny, Foulds, whoever than ginger kid who came on against Atalanta and was publicly, brutally, sacrificed on the ego of Unsworth playing to the gantry, all have come in and looked utterly lost, not really quite right for the position they played at youth level before finally being shuffled out the door. Sitting at the apex of this failure is Davies, 100 games in, the great survivor, the barnacle clinging leech-like to the listing Good Ship Everton, utterly devoid of talent, form or application. We've extended his contract twice. He's a product of his environment; chaotic, pointless and vapid. He hasn't got a clue where he is supposed to be or what he is supposed to do in this team, but then, who has told him? It's too easy to use an example like Foden, who every time he plays for City plays to a particular style and rhythm, a direct result of a prevalent school of football thought at every level at City under Guardiola. But then you look at Southampton (bummed senseless by Leicester 9-0 just months ago), and everyone who came on or started the match last week knew exactly what they needed to achieve in that system. It took a wondergoal from the best player on the pitch just for our £350m squad to eke out a draw at home. And that from an excellent pass from our second best player.

On the previous "what's the plan?" thread, I said that I couldn't see what we were trying to achieve. I still can't understand why Pickford kicks long to Bernard in the final minute and expects him to win a header. I'm not sure at all why Davies stands out of line of sight of the centre backs when they have the ball, beyond rank cowardice. I don't know why Gyfli still takes freekicks, or in fact takes any kicks in an Everton shirt. I'm not sure what Alex Iwobi considers his strengths as a footballer to be. I don't know why Michael Keane needs the game to start yesterday to get up to speed by half-time. Why did we ever buy Yannick Bolasie?

It's yet another summer where we can sell 11 players just to stand still. It's going to be another summer where I hope that Unsworth et al. are shown the door as our hugely overpaid Director of Football finally looks to build a new culture at the club. Players not just the being able to compete, but instilled with the will to win. The excuses have run out; we've got the money, the brilliant coach, and the support. But do we have the plan?

The plan is to give Ancellotti freedom to run the club as he wants for the foreseeable future. He decides who stays and who goes and he decides who comes in.

The supporters get behind him and accept there will be bumps in the road. The players learn to accept the responsibility they have to maintain high standards when they walk onto the pitch wearing our colours.

We get better gradually and cease to be a retirement home for middle of the road top flight players.

Our players have seen Ancelotti watching them train etc.

Most of our players must know Ancelotti has immediately sussed they are crap.

These crap players have wrapped in knowing they are getting binned as they have realised Ancelotti knows a thing or two about football.

The plan will be a complete overhaul.

I hate the word ‘project’ but I think it’s Carlos project.

I'm not sure there is a pla...if there is a plan and we are sticking to it then it's a shocking plan.. if there is a plan and we aren't sticking to it then why aren't we?..

I'm not sure there is a pla...if there is a plan and we are sticking to it then it's a shocking plan.. if there is a plan and we aren't sticking to it then why aren't we?..
We haven't really had a plan since Moshiri took over have we? Koeman, Fat Sam, Silva, Carlo. All like chalk and cheese and we now have a mash up of all their players in a completely incoherent squad.

The plan is to give Ancellotti freedom to run the club as he wants for the foreseeable future. He decides who stays and who goes and he decides who comes in.

The supporters get behind him and accept there will be bumps in the road. The players learn to accept the responsibility they have to maintain high standards when they walk onto the pitch wearing our colours.

We get better gradually and cease to be a retirement home for middle of the road top flight players.

Honestly, that would do me. Even if it was as basic as:

- 4-4-2 as the baseline for every year group at the club

- fast wingers and two DESTROYERS in the middle

- fullbacks who can cross

And we just bought and promoted from the youth on these simple ideas. Youngsters would come up knowing what they need to do, signings would be bought around a profile, we'd know what the team was trying to achieve. It does work elsewhere. Here we try and implement a new "system" every year - the one thing a DoF is supposed to stop - and then buy players who don't fit it. Not one of Koeman, Allardyce, Silva, or Ancelloti have played with a No 10 behind the strikers as their preference, but we've still tried to shoehorn the likes of Rooney, Gylfi, Iwobi, Dowell, Davies, Klaassen into the side, all in four years. That is absolutely bonkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.