What positions need strengthening still ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueblue

Player Valuation: £60m
When everybody is fit we really do have a very strong squad.

We have unexpected bonuses in the rejuvenation of Kone and the emergence of Galloway and Browning.

We possibly need a wide player as cover on the left and a goalkeeper to replace Tim Howard simply because Tim Howard is now an elder statesman even by goalkeeping standards.

Maybe we depend too much on Lukaku in the striking department, but this season at least we could play Kone up front and hopefully Rodriquez might make the grade or possibly Henen if the move to Fleetwood proves a success.

I think that anybody brought in will have to be very good to match the talent already there.

At least one goalie, possibly two.

We're probably sound across the back to be honest. Wouldn't mind an upgrade on Browning as sub right back but it's a sound enough option given that Seamus doesn't get injured often. I would add Ron Vlaar for free if he can pass a medical.

I'd love to see a playmaking Arteta type in center mid again but the personnel we have there now works well enough for our system. And we have loads of them.

We don't need a number 10. That's Barkley's position. And we have acceptable back up options there (Kone, Naismith, Cleverly, Osman, Mirallas).

The font four seems to work really well but given that our first, second, and third choice left mids with everyone fit are probably Kone (sound but 32), Cleverly (useful but uninspiring), and Pienaar (33, crocked) we could do with spending some money here. Yarmolenko's the dream, of course.

Lukaku is the black Drogba but I'm not satisfied with his back ups. Kone as mentioned is 32 and after that it's Naismith, who has his virtues but isn't a number 9. Then this Rodriguez randomer who will obviously never start more than 10 league games for us and if he does I'll eat Kenwright's knickers while they're still warm and upload the video to GOT. We wouldn't be loaning Henen to Fleetwood if he was any good and Conor McAleny only has a few weeks left til retirement. Let's spend some money here when we can.

Once we can i) have some confidence in the man between the sticks ii) field a second wide man with the same impact as Del (though not necessarily the same style) and iii) afford to rest Lukaku occasionally without neutering the team we can have a proper go at top 4 and a cup. As things stand we're going to need the stars to align pretty well for us to achieve anything (though that does sometimes happen).

Yarmolenko or somebody similar followed by a top goalie, easier said than done. Go back 2 years ago £3.5m for Jack Butland didn't seem so ridiculous now.

Status
Not open for further replies.