Votes: 13 3.6%
  • Tony hibbert

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 48 13.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt the defeats at home all happen if fans where in the ground. The players feel no pressure if we go a goal down without fans on their backs.

The same can be said for winning away.

We can look at tactics/ formations/ fitness but this is a big factor effecting a few teams and Ancelotti has alluded to it.

It’s a combination of strength in depth and too much deadwood, they’re one and the same for me. The keeper being part of that deadwood.

Every team gets injuries. Every team is of a similar fitness at this level (maybe except the formerly juiced up lot across the park) and formations don’t matter as much as having good players for me.

As for ‘Consistency’, I don’t really believe in that as a concept too much. The top teams are consistent because they’re the best. The bottom ones are consistently poor. Everyone else wins some, loses some, draws some. We fall in to that category - drawing at Old Trafford then losing at home to Fulham isn’t a lack of consistency for me, it’s just not being good enough to perform every week.
I agree with that, although I wouldn't even say it's a case of not being able to do it every week, it's just a case of being able to play a certain style of football. I think the last game I would have thought it was a travesty if we lost was Leicester away. Before that probably Brighton and West Brom at home. Fulham we were totally outplayed but before that you'd probably have to go back a long way to find a game where you'd say we 100% didn't deserve anything from the game. Most of our games are fairly tight, sometimes we sneak a win sometimes we labour to a loss. We're pretty consistent really, just consistently average.

I agree with that, although I wouldn't even say it's a case of not being able to do it every week, it's just a case of being able to play a certain style of football. I think the last game I would have thought it was a travesty if we lost was Leicester away. Before that probably Brighton and West Brom at home. Fulham we were totally outplayed but before that you'd probably have to go back a long way to find a game where you'd say we 100% didn't deserve anything from the game. Most of our games are fairly tight, sometimes we sneak a win sometimes we labour to a loss. We're pretty consistent really, just consistently average.

Yeah I’d go with that actually, you’re right.

Everton have 3 main problems at the moment.
1) Attempting to play out from the back
2) Not being very good at playing out from the back
3) Teams knowing we're not very good at playing out from the back
This was early in the season. carlo found a different way to play with different personnel. it Worked for a while and then not. What’s the problem now?

This was early in the season. carlo found a different way to play with different personnel. it Worked for a while and then not. What’s the problem now?
The problem has always been a poor midfield, got better with Allan and Doucoure signings, but Allan has been injured for too many games, then Doucoure looks like he will be out for most of the rest of this season, James is in and out and his form is up and down and it looks like he can’t play for ninety minutes each game, then you have the indifferent form of Iwobi, Sigurdsson and Gomes, so until this is all sorted out there will be no consistenc, I don’t expect much for the rest of the season to be honest, another season wasted really, although it hasn’t been helped by the many injuries.

When teams like Sheffield, Fulham, Newcastle etc, all openly express their looking forward to playing Everton to get their season back on track for a run of wins, you understand why heads drop in the Everton dressing room. Every game is a hard one because the opposition thinks we’re very beatable...and they are right. It’s a vicious circle the club has created about itself. NSNO?...you’re having a laugh

Depth, particularly in midfield.

We have a first XI, less the midfield hole which honestly is fine when the rest of the team is solid. We saw that early in the season. The dropoff in quality from those players is immense, and reality is that you rarely have your most preferred XI all available during a season.

If Carlo had enough depth to rotate players and make substitutions according to the opponent, rather than trying to paper over cracks with the starting lineup and bring on the players he didn't want to start as his only sub options, we'd probably be seeing better results.

Depth, particularly in midfield.

We have a first XI, less the midfield hole which honestly is fine when the rest of the team is solid. We saw that early in the season. The dropoff in quality from those players is immense, and reality is that you rarely have your most preferred XI all available during a season.

If Carlo had enough depth to rotate players and make substitutions according to the opponent, rather than trying to paper over cracks with the starting lineup and bring on the players he didn't want to start as his only sub options, we'd probably be seeing better results.
I agree, the top 4 will probably be City, United, Leicester and Chelsea. The one thing these all have in common is squad depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.