Homepage Article What Have I Done To Deserve This?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look on the bright side, having gone through this much hardship we'll have an awesome next life.

Generally I agree that footy and politics should be kept separate, but he didn't make the comparison you have highlighted. You should have read the whole piece.
anyone who thinks - like my dad - that politics should be kept out of sport are living in a dream. impossible! and in fact politics is for me welcome in sport. 1936 Olympics? the cricket tours of south Africa in the 1970's? if politics were kept separate from politics we wouldn't have para-sport today. politics improves sport by facilitating greater inclusion.

anyone who thinks - like my dad - that politics should be kept out of sport are living in a dream. impossible! and in fact politics is for me welcome in sport. 1936 Olympics? the cricket tours of south Africa in the 1970's? if politics were kept separate from politics we wouldn't have para-sport today. politics improves sport by facilitating greater inclusion.

You make a reasonable point, but usually people on internet fora only use sporting examples to make questionable political points, and there are also examples of less positive interventions like fencing to combat pitch invasions. I'm all for inclusivity, but there is already too much hostiity between football tribes, so I like to keep politics and football separate wherever possible.

On the contrary, it destroys everything it touches, especially if run by greedy and inept bastards like most Politicians are...
If you want to divide and antagonise people, start talking about politics and religion...

The attempts to beat the swear filter in the article should be admired.

Whatever happens to Everton I’ll still be happy as I’ve got two great kids and a half decent wife. Wouldn’t let it get to you too much.
Er, is the 'half decent wife' aware that that's what you've called her? I'm wondering if I can make a few pre-Christmas quid with a bit of blackmail here.

Being an american, I can say that one of the reasons I was called to Everton was because it was 100% home.

And by that I mean like all of my local teams, Everton has an incredible history, amazing success in the 1980's, crap ownership/management who had turned it into a laughingstock, and frequent disappointment and failure. But there is a tide thats turning for my teams, and hopefully Everton is one of them...

Isn't hinsight a wonderful thing. When Mike Walker was appointed, how many Evertonians were devastated? None, he had just finished 3rd with Norwich and had slammed Bayern Munich. He was on his way to becoming an absolute top manager. Of course it didn't work out that way, but at the time he was a great coup for us. Walter Smith had just guided Rangers to 9 league titles in a row and 1 single goal away from a champions league final. That didn't work out either, mainly because the team he built was sold after one season.

Both were failures at Everton, but both were great signings at the time.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing
Mike Walker was treating his ill wife while at Everton so had to miss a fair bit of training from what I understand.

When Walker was appointed there was huge amount of scepticism.
He'd inherited a decent team at Norwich put together by Dave Stringer, who was probably unlucky to be sacked.
Neither I nor any Evertonians I spoke to were enthused by the appointment and, as usual, we hoped for the best and feared the worst - which came so close to happening. So, no we weren't devastated, but we weren't welcoming him with open arms either. We accepted it with an air of resignation.

You make a reasonable point, but usually people on internet fora only use sporting examples to make questionable political points, and there are also examples of less positive interventions like fencing to combat pitch invasions. I'm all for inclusivity, but there is already too much hostiity between football tribes, so I like to keep politics and football separate wherever possible.
agree with a lot of your post but my view is that "politics" is so wide and gets into the little cracks of life so powerfully that almost everything has a "political" aspect to it. a childs drawing could, if you want, have a political side to it, through the choices the child has made in it. sexual relations between couples is extremely "political" if you know how personal freedoms have been won over the last 100 years. going to the library is a powerful "political" symbol with the closure of so many of those places being fought against. "politics" in sport is massive. the england game the other day where we nearly walked off. a deeply "political" move that would have been. so its not about politicians from parties. we are all politicians one way or another.

On the contrary, it destroys everything it touches, especially if run by greedy and inept bastards like most Politicians are...
If you want to divide and antagonise people, start talking about politics and religion...
not a bad idea to try to keep politics and religion apart. but its impossible in my view. i totally share your opinion of party politicians, scumbags mostly.
but our lives are inherently political down to the smallest details. even the weather is political.

Status
Not open for further replies.