What do we require from our manager / football team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thread.

Change of culture, change of culture, change of culture.

We need a manager who can change the culture of what it means to play in and for the blue jersey.

You could argue that culture is a broader issue/problem.
But I think Denise, Brands and co are making the right moves, the right strategic approach, the right ethos going forward.

And I used to think the crowd had something to do with it. That there is a prevalent anxiety amongst the support that is reciprocal with what is happening out on the pitch. One feeds into the other. Classic eg is the nerves set in once a lead is got and anxiety ramps up as soon as the opposition put in one decent effort on our goal, a bit of anxiety shown from a player or two and up it goes again.
Although its not as if the support and the club have not tried to lift, they have.

But its not all that. I think the Goodison support knows what is and what isn't, what a good team is, what's good football, whether that be consciously, subconsciously or intuitively. Reckon there's a good bit of the historical embedded in this type of support.

What would the type of support look like for a genuinely good Everton team?
Current support, arguably, may prevent the side from doing better, marginally, with the knowledge of what is
but the type of support for a proper good team I reckon would see them to do significantly better, bc of.

Getting to that team, and that type of support, will only come from cultural change within the team and that will only happen through a new manager(s). Most of the previous posts have already identified what that should look like.

I would add that the team needs a core of two of three real hard arse characters, dominant personalities, that the manger can work with. There's a weaknesses at the core of the group. The problem is these types of players are not as easy to find these days.
This is in no way a defence of Silva, he's not the manager to do it.

I think for the this club and the type of players we've got, the manager not only has to be a successful manager, he has to have been a successful player who demands respect for what he has done himself out on the pitch; and a particular type of player at that.

I've already argued before that Simone would be ideal for this club. Would we be lucky enough to get him. Maybe, maybe not. But I'd certainly be going for someone in the same mould.

It may be that we don't get this type of manager next. But if not then I'd at least go for someone whose going to change the culture before getting in the tactically more astute fella. I think we missed the boat after Moyes for more reasons than one. I think we're going round full circle. Lets hope we don't do it again. Maybe its a case of finding the new Moyes before finding the Simone.

But whatever the case all I want to see is a proper manager/team at Goodison once more, before its time to leave.
Absolutely spot on Blue and MKRUDDEN.

Talk of I dont like him, l like him, he did well at Valencia blah, blah, all pretty irrelevant.

We are solid mid table Prem and with money to spend that is unlikely to change anytime soon.

So how do we progress to challenge the top 6, then top 4 and win trophies.

As stated it is to do with culture.

We need a manger who will instill/demand excellence. We will not achieve it in the short term but it can happen mid-long term.

I believe a new manager should tell the board he wants to target winning the league/fa cup to develop expectation of success within the playing group and supporters. This can snowball into sustained winning league form. That snowballs into attracting better players and winning more trophies. Then aiming to be a force in Europe,

At present every manager appears to look at the next 4 games and hope we get enough points for him to survive. League position is seen as more important for his position/the board so weakened cup teams are played and guess what - we have had no success for 25 years.

We need a manager with no fear of the sack, who has a clear radical vision of how we can win cups and progress.

All novice managers fear the sack so none should be considered. What is required is a seasoned, confident, fearless manager with a track record of success and bringing a culture of expectation and success.

It is simply not the case that with a wealthy owner who has shown he will spend hundreds of millions in the market and build a new stadium cannot attract one of these managers.

The worry is players coming in full of ambition and intent, and well...water always finds its level.

Something that stuck out for me was Moise Kean's reaction to Walcott blasting his cross wide over the bar, when he slammed the ground in frustration, in his first match.
Was thinking, ok we've got something here, he expects a high standard, and he's willing to let other players know it.
But a young player like that, a forward, won't swim upstream against the prevailing tide of mediocrity for too long, he'll succumb and find the level of the group.

We can bring in all the Richarlison's and Iwobi's we like but it won't change until we get real character and personality from the manager and in keys positions. If its going to really change, its simple. We need a Simone, we need a Roy Keane. It may take a while to unearth, but no more Silvas, no more arms on the shoulders of Davies and the like.

Ok serious answer, winning football matches, it's that simple.

You want a manager with belief and charisma? R. Martinez - but he didn't win games so he's a deluded fraud.

You want a pragmatist - try Sam Allardyce, but he didn't win games so he's a football dinosaur.

Want a top professional ex player who has won things and knows how to win and have a winning mentality - step forward R. Koeman. But he didn't win football games.

I'm genuinely pleased at the ambitious psychosocial analyses of EFC by some posters, it's fun to read and think about. The core truth is very simple though.

Everton need to learn to be Everton and not want to be like any one else. They must have leaders on the pitch and off it. We must have fans who are leaders. We don't want fans who can only offer negativity.

Get into these, Blues...

That'll do as a starting point. Then get me off my seat - mostly Kanchelskis, but throw in a bit of Beagrie as well (we have a soft spot for ineffective fun wingers) and a big dollop of Sheedy. That sort of thing.

Or a spoon to a knife fight

Status
Not open for further replies.