What defines an Everton legend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trophy win or significant contribution for me, although for a while I'd have just said trophy win. What changed my mind was as follows.

Does Mike Trebilcock deserve a place instead of Mike Lyons and Tim Cahill? No, of course not, but alongside, yes I'd say so.
If you're quoting Trebilcock Groucho,you could throw Amo's name in the hat for that semi final;):)

What about Paul Rideout then?

Can't really see his name being synonymous with future legendary status, despite his winner in 95.

Absolutely, which is all based on personal opinions and is relative to the era you watched us in.

I'm just thinking, if someone read a book in 30-40 years...would the likes of Ferguson, Cahill, Jagielka, Arteta etc stand the test of time when looking back over our history?
Cahill will. Ferguson will get mentions. Jags is just another good defenders, Arteta is dead to me anyway so doesn't matter.

Of course, there's only one who falls within the Legend/Cult Hero Venn Diagram:

Everton-v-Fulham-Denis-Stracqualursi-celeb_2709202.jpg

Cahill was very good for us and did great job considering our financial constraints, but if we were the kind of club in the past 20 years that won things and spent money, I doubt he would get into that type of team. He had all the attributes of a battler and I admire that, but he didn't score or create enough goals.

For me he's not a legend but a top player nonetheless.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.